The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Vocal Ranges 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
i think the main confusion here stems from the use of "High" as describing a note, and what octave is considered "high". The octave numbers (i.e. F5, F6) is something that not everyone may know or have been taught.
I have "read music" since I was 7 (starting with basic piano and violin, then voice), was in numerous vocal groups and had private voice instruction for 5 years during college, but never in any of my experiences did anyone use the octave numbers to describe a note. Since we can't type out sheet music here on this forum, it is understandable that it would be confusing to just use the term "high", but I don't think that confusion means that someone is unable to read music.

Since I'm not sure it was ever clarified- Belle's range in the show goes from the E below middle C (sung towards the beginning of "A Change in Me") to the F that is the top line of the treble stave (I can't remember where she sings that F; I think it's the note on "Got" and "No" at the end of "No Matter What"- "...you're all I've GOT, NO matter what").

SianZena- while it's true that Belle is not a typical "soprano" (like not singing above the staff) she does need to be strong in all areas of her range, she has an equal number of notes in the lower-ish, mid, and higher parts of her range in the show. If you are as strong around middle C as you are an octave above and to the E/F on the top of the staff, then yes, Belle sounds like a good fit for your voice! ;)

Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:26 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Quick Question
which of the male parts have the least amount of lines, my high school is going to perform this (BATB) and I don't want a big role, but I love to be in the production (and the chorus tends to be boring).

Thanks Bunches :D

Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:29 pm

Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
Monsieur D'Arque definitely has the smallest amount of lines. He does have a major part in the song "Maison des Lunes" but that's pretty much it. Maurice doesn't have many lines either. He sings in "No Matter What" and its reprise.

Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:49 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Thanks ActingDude17, I'll probably sing either of those songs then... :D

Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:08 pm

(I can't remember where she sings that F; I think it's the note on "Got" and "No" at the end of "No Matter What"- "...you're all I've GOT, NO matter what").

Yes, and also "There MUST be more than THIS provincial life."

Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:43 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Living. Laughing. Breathing. Singing.
Post Re: Vocal Ranges
So I'm auditioning for Belle in the next couple of weeks and I've read all these (very useful) posts. This is partly a question to do with the vocals and partly to do with characterisation.

What I've established is that the part is, strictly speaking, a mezzo-soprano with a wide range. We have been given 2 specified songs to sing from the show 'Belle Reprise' and 'Home'. I've practised and practised and I hit all the notes fine, but I'm having trouble with the quality & tone of voice used. Namely, where to mix and where to belt. Is it acceptable to belt parts of Home do you think? I've seen clips on youtube where they belt it all and it sounds baaaad but I'm keen to add more gusto to it than what I've heard on the London Cast Recording. Any tips?

I also, generally speaking, get cast in roles for the fesity friend or doomed hooker (the Anita's, Nancy's and Lucy's of the world). Am I going to lose out to someone more used to playing innocent roles? The director is the same one who cast me as Lucy in J&H so I want to show that I can do more than those sort of roles in my audition without compromising my 'type' if you like.

Help! :-S

EDIT * Might be worth noting that I'm also playing Julia in the Wedding Singer right now, which is a complete departure from my 'type' but it's sitting quite nicely in my comfort zone!

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Jonathan Safran Foer

Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:05 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

^I'm always thinking the same thing but the opposite. I just finished playing Belle, which I absolutely loved but I hope it doesn't affect how I'm perceived in auditions for other parts. I don't want to be typecast and I'd love to play more roles like the ones you mentioned. As for the belting, I think it could work in some parts for example 'What I'd give...' in Home and maybe the final chorus and 'Build higher walls...' and 'I want much more than this provincial life' in Belle Reprise. I didn't really belt but I sang those parts stronger so maybe see if that works. For the tone, I found that the more expression I put in the better and more natural it sounded. I think that if you show the director something different than you showed them in J&H even if it's not exactly what they're looking for they will know that you're versatile and can pick up new things.
I hope this is somewhat helpful and all the best for the audition!

Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:57 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Cats, A Chorus line, Tarzan
pittising_poyns wrote:
So I'm auditioning for Belle in the next couple of weeks and I've read all these (very useful) posts. This is partly a question to do with the vocals and partly to do with characterisation.

What I've established is that the part is, strictly speaking, a mezzo-soprano with a wide range. We have been given 2 specified songs to sing from the show 'Belle Reprise' and 'Home'. I've practised and practised and I hit all the notes fine, but I'm having trouble with the quality & tone of voice used. Namely, where to mix and where to belt. Is it acceptable to belt parts of Home do you think? I've seen clips on youtube where they belt it all and it sounds baaaad but I'm keen to add more gusto to it than what I've heard on the London Cast Recording. Any tips?

I know it's in danish, but this is the original danish Belle Maria Lucia singing "Home": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSBep2NvfOA (the song starts at 1:14) who in general is a big belter, but I LOVE how she changes between headvoice and belt in all the right places instead of just doing one thing- I know it has helped out quite a few Belles throughout the time :) It's really worth a watch!

Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:28 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Living. Laughing. Breathing. Singing.
Thanks both! I think generally speaking most Belles belt the same parts in the song. The Maria version is interesting because she belts throughout 'What I'd give...' all the way through to '... Dull provincial town'. I've been mixing the 'Give' and 'think' but belting the rest of that section. I'd also been bringing the 'Oh but then' right down in contrast, which i think works quite well! Oh it really is a hard song to sing flawlessly!

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Jonathan Safran Foer

Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:42 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Legally Blonde
When I played Belle, I mixed the entire show. I never thought Belle should be belty.

I think the best thing you can show in your audition is that you are sincere. Best of luck.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:37 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Billy Bigelow
Main Role: Director
So, just a correction...kind of.

The Beast's alleged High A-flat doesn't necessarily exist. It's written in the vocal part in the back of the script, but in the score, Beast sings the melody (lower A-flat, D-flat, E-flat) on "I love you" during the Finale, while Belle stays on her nice, even-ranged A-flat. Typically, when there's a discrepancy between the vocal book and the score, the score wins. Also, to back up the "use the score version" argument, that is closest to what they used in the OBC. (Sorry...having just music directed this show, I feel quite strongly about this.)

So this is definitely up the discretion of the music director of your show, but don't be scared away from the Beast by the "high A-flat."

Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:10 pm

Current Obsession: Shaw
That is music to my ears. Thanks so much for sharing that information with us. I never knew that before!

Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:19 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next