Did you like the movie, in general?
Yes 75%  75%  [ 68 ]
No 25%  25%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 91

What's wrong with the movie? 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
I missed the 2nd hal;f of Ladies in their Sensitivities much more than I missed kIss Me. I dont think kiss me wouild have worked in the film. plus it would have taken attention off the main plot for too long and Burton didnt want to do that.

Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:51 am
Profile WWW

Kiss Me is one of my favorite numbers in the stage version, but I will (grudgingly) admit that it might be too over-the-top theatrical for a film adaptation. Still, it was strange to watch Ladies in their Sensitivities without Kiss Me as a counterpoint, and cutting it pretty much reduces Anthony and Johanna to caricatures. (Okay, Anthony might be a caricature even with Kiss Me--but Johanna definitely loses characterization, and no stupid scene about the nightmares never going away will make up for that.)

Overall I did like the movie a lot, and it's probably one of the most graceful stage-to-screen adaptations out there. Burton definitely works the atmosphere, and while the lack of humor and the focus on Sweeney narrowed the scope a bit, the end result is still a good movie in its own right as well as a mostly faithful adaptation. Helena was the only real disappointment for me, and even she has her moments--she certainly knows how to pull off the deadpan humor, I just wish she'd been a bit livelier.

My biggest regret is that the ballads were never even filmed. I understand that there wasn't really room for them, but a director's cut that included them would've been nice to hope for. It just would've been so freaking satisfying to see a version that included them.

Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:12 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Main Role: Performer
Helena's deadpan performance was exactly what the film called for.

Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:32 am
Profile WWW

She got the deadpan right, I just didn't like how breathy and almost tentative she seemed in the role. She was constantly on the wrong side of the line between 'understated' and 'subdued.'

Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:28 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

The movie is wonderful, the directing, the cast, the costuming, and everything was wonderful. The only problem I had with it was some of the singing and "A Little Priest"

Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:15 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I love both the stage show and the movie, but in my opinion they're two different creatures, although I do agree about the cuts in the movie, especially A Little Priest and the Ballads. Kiss Me was missed, but it probably wouldn't have worked in the film. But I do love both of them very much. :)

-Equus (July 1st)
-The Rocky Horror Show (August 15-16th)

beads. flowers. freedom. happiness. <3 <3 <3

Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:09 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Overall I like the movie, though lately I've been on such a kick for the OBC that I can't bring myself to watch the Burton film.

actor wrote:
I thought the movie ended quite abruptly and left something to be desired.

Agreed. I'd have liked a little closure, though I can see room for justifying the way the film ends, such as the scope being narrowed to Sweeney. If he's dead, the movie's over. And since the film didn't purport to be the Ballad of Sweeney Todd, you needn't have an ending number. But still, I was thinking when the screen faded to black, "That's it?"

Salome wrote:
Helena's deadpan performance was exactly what the film called for.

Indeed. I don't know why people need to gripe about particular performances. I found they all fit well within the film's established tone.

Salome wrote:
I did think Burton's original idea for the ballds was pretty good

What was the original idea?

Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:58 am

I believe it was a small chorus of ghosts.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:27 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Oh I had known that, but I thought it would only be for one of the ballads rather than a recurring thing. Thought Salome was privvy to a prevailing notion.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:35 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Before I watched the movie, I had seen the taped stage version with Angela Lansbury and George Hearn (which was enough to make Sweeney Todd my favorite musical :D ), so when I watched the movie, of course I compared the two. The beginning and the end seemed way too rushed to me, and the blood was so bright and fake-looking (and there was so much of it) that after a while it made me a little frustrated... :| I couldn't take it seriously.
---- But overall, I really liked the movie!~

I was sad they cut "Kiss Me", but I understand that it's not really as important as the songs they decided to keep in for the film.

And during the ending, I couldn't help but be bothered by the fact that Johnny Depp didn't seem very upset that he just murdered his wife...

Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:52 pm

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
I didn't mind the changes made for the film adaptation. I understand why those changes were made and they delivered the best possible film version that would please both fans of the original stage version and non-musical fans alike.

Had this adaptation been made for the stage, I'd have slit a few throats of my own.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:28 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal
And during the ending, I couldn't help but be bothered by the fact that Johnny Depp didn't seem very upset that he just murdered his wife...

Screaming obnoxiously (aka George Hearn style) probably wouldn't be very believable.

He seemed obviously devastated, to me.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next