The Resource For Musicals

A Funny Thing Happened On the Way To the Forum Forum

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Playing Age of Pseudolus 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Playing Age of Pseudolus
Howdy,

There's a community theatre production occurring next year of this show, and I was wondering what everyone thought was the minimum age of an actor playing Pseudolus. I know he's been played by Zero Mostel and Nathan Lane, etc. Having not seen/read the full show, I'm not sure if there's anything in the script that necessitates him being older.

Or quite tersely, would anyone consider it feasible for an early 20s guy to play him? I know Hero's the young guy in the show, but he seems like a typical naive romantic type, less interesting than Pseudolus.

Thanks!

Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:20 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
I cant see him being any younger than mid to late 30s. the role calls for a world wise type and there are several lines in the show abpout him being a long time slave of the house of Senex as well.

have you tought of Miles if you look older than early 20s?

Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:22 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I'll look into that, thanks. The theatre group putting it on has a moderate amount of older men who'd probably easily fill up the roles according to the associations everyone has with it. Compared to them, I look younger, though they did think I was older than I am by a few years. But still, they cast me as Benjamin in Joseph , if that tells ya anything!

Thanks for the reply!

Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:42 am

if you were benjamin..i'd say hero. dont count him out its a funny role if done correctly.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:47 am
Profile WWW

Just because you're in your early twenties doesn't mean you can play Pseudolus at practically any age. Just because he's been a slave a long time doesn't mean he was an adult when he became a slave. If he was a child or teen when that happened, a mid-to-late-20's Pseudolus is feasible. On the other hand, a middle-aged Pseudolus would perhaps be a father-figure that Hero would look up to, leading him to be manipulated more easily.

Besides, if the director thinks you've got potential in the role, but wants an older Pseudolus - well, that's what make-up is for! :lol:

In the meantime, read the original script It's much better than the movie (they took *way* too many liberties with it!), though the film will give you the basic gist of the story and the humor.

Go for it!

My life may be weird, but at least it's not boring.

Bastet's Paradox: every cat is the center of the universe.

The Capitol Steps: They put the 'mock' in Democracy!!

Come along, Senex, and carry my bust with pride!

Thu May 07, 2009 6:47 pm

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
My only hope as Pseudolus anytime soon is a high school production, and that's unlikely. I don't want to wait twenty years for my all-time dream role! :(

Thu May 07, 2009 7:00 pm

I was 51 by the time I got to play Domina, and it was well worth the wait. I had a great cast and director, and we had a lot of fun. Especially the night when, just before the Funeral Sequence, a little boy in the audience blurted out: 'Will he (Miles) find out she's a boy?' It's a miracle the whole cast and crew didn't lose it right then and there!

My life may be weird, but at least it's not boring.

Bastet's Paradox: every cat is the center of the universe.

The Capitol Steps: They put the 'mock' in Democracy!!

Come along, Senex, and carry my bust with pride!

Thu May 07, 2009 7:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]