The Resource For Musicals

South Pacific Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Nellie might be a mediocre nurse...? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Nellie might be a mediocre nurse...?
Dear "South Pacific" Fans,

I probably shouldn't perpetuate nurse stereotypes, because there really are a great deal many hard-working, successful, rightfully proud nurses out there, but what if Nellie is trying so much to make her relationship with Emile work because she knows that she herself isn't actually that great of a nurse?

Could that angle work, with regards to the lead actress' onstage portrayal of Nellie? Is Nellie feeling insecure about her abilities as a nurse, and is she also trying to rebel against her mother by dating a Frenchman?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
:?:

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:02 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Les Mis, Alfie Boe
I think Nellie is a pretty high ranking nurse. She seems to be a favorite among the people there where she is stationed, everybody loves her. I don't think they would if she wasn't a good nurse. I think she is interested in Emile because he is exciting and different from other men. He is older, wiser, but yet has a youthful spirit and has that charm about him.

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:45 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Re:
filmphan821 wrote:
I think Nellie is a pretty high ranking nurse. She seems to be a favorite among the people there where she is stationed, everybody loves her. I don't think they would if she wasn't a good nurse. I think she is interested in Emile because he is exciting and different from other men. He is older, wiser, but yet has a youthful spirit and has that charm about him.

No so "high-ranking". She's an Ensign (or 2nd Lieutenant in Commonwealth countries), NATO officer class O-1.. just starting out.
Also sounds like she straight out of OCS by the way she reacts before "Cockeyed Optimist".

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:03 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Les Mis, Alfie Boe
Post Re: Re:
alcockell wrote:
filmphan821 wrote:

No so "high-ranking". She's an Ensign (or 2nd Lieutenant in Commonwealth countries), NATO officer class O-1.. just starting out.
Also sounds like she straight out of OCS by the way she reacts before "Cockeyed Optimist".

Hmm, I guess I didn't mean actual rank, but ability. Regarding the initial question, looking back on this thread I would have to say that I definitely don't think Nellie is trying to overcome any insecurities by being with Emile. I personally see Nellie as the opposite. I think she is very confident. Sure, she has a second thought about whether or not Emile would be interested in a "little hick" like her during "Twin Soliloques," but overall I think she is not afraid to be herself in front of Emile and doesn't seem self conscious. I think maybe that's what he likes about her. She is genuine and confident, almost to a fault. There's a naivity that comes along with that...which she is kind of aware that other people see in her which she shows us when singing "Cockeyed Optimist."

Past Roles:
Marian Paroo-"The Music Man"
Nellie Forbush- "South Pacific"
Hope Harcourt- "Anything Goes"
Laurey Williams- "Oklahoma!"

Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]