The Resource For Musicals

South Pacific Forum

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Carnegie Hall Concert vs. 2008 Revival 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Post Carnegie Hall Concert vs. 2008 Revival
In a review of South Pacific I read in Dramatics magazine, the writer "[found] the chemistry between [Kelli O'Hara and Paulo Szot] lacking". He found that the opposite was true of the McEntire/Mitchell-Stokes version. Futhermore, he states that "It is as close to a definitive interpretation of this material as I've ever seen".

(I'll post the full review if people are interested).

My question for the people who have seen BOTH versions is which one did you prefer? Do you agree with the review?

To those who have seen one or the other, what did you think of it?
I personally have only seen the Carnegie Hall version. I find it very enjoyable. One of my all time favorite actors, Brian Stokes Mitchell is in it. And I do agree with this part of the above review: "The genuine country twang [Reba McEntire] brings unlocks new aspects of the familiar Rogers and Hammerstein songs, and she has charm and comedic skills to burn". When I did South Pacific (I understudied Emile), our Nellie u/s was fantastic and used a countryish accent similar to McEntire's. Her performance was superior to the non u/s's by leaps and bounds. But that's what you get for casting singers who act as the leads and actors who sing as their understudies.

Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:17 am
Profile WWW

Main Role: Performer
McIntyre's Nellie wa the one HUGE flaw to the concert..her Tennessee accent was annoying and out of character for a girl from Little Rock,ARK. plus Nellie is a late 20s -early 30s character..Reba is in her 50s!!!

i COULD NOT STAND HER!

Brian Stokes Mitchell was the opposite..simply the finest Emile I ever saw.

Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:30 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I kind of agree with Salome. I love the Carnegie Hall concert (although I wish that Aaron Lazar had been Cable, as in the Hollywood Bowl concert) ... but Reba makes me cringe. Her accent is simply annoying, especially when she talks ... Rogers and Hammerstein is not meant to be belted country-style ... and she is older than Brian Stokes Mitchell. Which is really just weird, for a Nellie to be older than her Emile ...

gretchen weiners [lyss.ana.maggie.plasticlove<3]

Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:55 am

for a Nellie to be older than her Emile ...
hehe. Yeah, it is. :-)

Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:46 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

[quote="curlyhairedsoprano91"]I kind of agree with Salome. I love the Carnegie Hall concert (although I wish that Aaron Lazar had been Cable, as in the Hollywood Bowl concert) ... but Reba makes me cringe. Her accent is simply annoying, especially when she talks ... Rogers and Hammerstein is not meant to be belted country-style ... and she is [i]older than Brian Stokes Mitchell.[/i] Which is really just weird, for a Nellie to be older than her Emile ...[/quote]

uhmmm...that's why it's called "theatre."

OP, you can't compare both, One was a staged concert -- where they primarily had to sing and emote OUT THERE. The Lincoln Center production is a fully-staged dramatic version where the actors not only had to communicate to the audience, but to their fellow actors as well MINUS the scripts and chairs. Szot is good; Mitchell was dynamic to the point of outplaying Nellie who is the main character after all.

Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:06 pm

nellie is not the main character .. nellie and emile are.

Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:04 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Les Mis, Alfie Boe
I'm curious what you think Salome...do you not like an accent for Nellie in general or do you just not like Reba's for her? What about Kelli O'hara's accent?

Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:37 am

I think accents are fine for nellie if they are the correct one. O'Hara's accent works well. although i would have preferred seeing melissa Errico as Nellie, O'hara does a strong job with the role.

Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:40 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

[quote="Salome"]nellie is not the main character .. nellie and emile are.[/quote]

Sorry, for me, it's Nellie's story. Emile just happens to come out from the background; and you notice, he comes & goes from the action. WHereas Nellie is always dead center of where the action is. So Nellie is THE MAIN CHARACTER.

Also, Kelli O'Hara's accent is sooooooo phony. It's like, did Nellie spend time in Mayfair (London)??

Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:36 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

curlyhairedsoprano91 wrote:
I kind of agree with Salome. I love the Carnegie Hall concert (although I wish that Aaron Lazar had been Cable, as in the Hollywood Bowl concert) ... but Reba makes me cringe. Her accent is simply annoying, especially when she talks ... Rogers and Hammerstein is not meant to be belted country-style ... and she is older than Brian Stokes Mitchell. Which is really just weird, for a Nellie to be older than her Emile ...

uhmmm...that's why it's called "theatre."

Nah. "Theatre" doesn't mean that you can take one of the defining aspects of a character and ignore it.

GungaDin wrote:
Szot is good; Mitchell was dynamic to the point of outplaying Nellie who is the main character after all.

Perhaps, then, they should have cast a Nellie who could keep up with him.

For the record, are you (GungaDin) or are you not a fan of Reba's Nellie?

gretchen weiners [lyss.ana.maggie.plasticlove<3]

Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:46 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

For the record, are you (GungaDin) or are you not a fan of Reba's Nellie?[/quote]

She was OK; a tad old and a tad too twangy -- but the right perkiness.

Just watched the replay tonight. God, the black outfits (yes, yes I know it's a staged concert...but there have been better costumed kourii) of the Seebees and the nurses almost make it like nihilstic or an Ute Lemper concert. Was Barney's having a sale on skimpy black dresses and tank tops??

Good singing. Jason Danieley was much better than Matthew Morrison; Alex Baldwin was kinda gross to watch; and that accent of Brain Stokes-Mitchell, Oy! On which planet did he pick it up from??

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:08 pm

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
I've only seen a clip, but man, Brain Stokes-Mitcehll has an incredible voice! I did find it a tad odd that he played the part since he's mixed-race, and if it were a stage production, it would've totally screwed up the story...but since it was onyl a concert, it didn't really matter. Alas, he could never actualyl play the role ontstage BECAUSE of his mixed race heritage :(

Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next