The Resource For Musicals

Sunset Boulevard Forum

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Sunset Boulevard 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Yay, other fans. i was worried I was alone. I wish I was a guy so I could play Joe and other fantastic male roles. *sniff* I wish it would tour anywhere that I could see it. I've never gotten to see it on stage

"What right do you have to take me for granted?" "What right? Do you want me to tell you?"

Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:46 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

There is a rumour that the production that was at the Watermill in the UK earlier this year (an actor/musician production) is heading to the West End. They sent out a casting for it last week to agents I believe...

Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:12 am
Profile YIM WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

They're supposed to be making a film for this. It's been officially announced, but nobody seems to get round to it. It was supposed to released last year! No one is even cast yet. ALW too busy flapping around with a disasterous sequel to Phantom, no doubt.

I'd really enjoy the film, because I have never been able to catch it live either. It is an extremely expensive musical to produce and put on. ALW never made his money back when he put it on in the US last (that's very hazy in my memory, it might have been somewhere else). The expense makes it unlikely that it will come back, but with some changes, it may be possible. I just hope that what JIJane said is true. :)

Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:18 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Nothing is going to beat the original Billy Wilder film, so it's probably best they don't do one - imo. I realise it would be a musical and bring a different slant but keeping in mind that Billy Wilder hated the musical and was very upset that they "stole" most of his original script and scene ideas - it's probably best to leave it. I can't think of anyone appropriate to play Norma either.

Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:30 am
Profile YIM WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I imagine that not everyone agrees with Billy Wilder, though. I know he created it, but people still have the right to enjoy a musical film if they want to, even if he doesn't. :) When does ALW ever respect his source material, anyway? :(

Making remakes is quite useful. Coming from a younger generation, I wouldn't have picked up the Billy Wilder film if ALW hadn't updated it with his musical. Not that I am closed to old films, it's just there's no opportunities to come across them by accident. :(

Gaston Leroux's Phantom was forgotten before the silent movie was made, and then again, until ALW revived the story. I'm thankful that he did, because that got me to pick up the source material and really enjoy it. :) Especially grateful to ALW for introducing me to Wilkie Collins! The last four years of my life has been based around discovering Wilkie Collins in 2004 (the excellent author of The Woman in White). :D

I don't think remakes are out to better anything, just to bring something old to a new audience. :)

Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:42 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

That's very true. It's just that the source material is usually a lot better than the remake haha. The original Phantom, Hunchback, Sunset, certainly Woman in White (great novel, awful musical). I am absolutely dreading a remake of the My Fair Lady film. It just shouldn't be considered. Ever. :evil:

Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:06 am
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Wilder and SUNSET BOULEVARD musical...
JIJane wrote:
Billy Wilder hated the musical and was very upset that they "stole" most of his original script and scene ideas.

I've never heard that and Wilder is on record as saying the complete opposite:

Billy Wilder wrote:
I congratulate [the writers] on something very ingenious — they left the story alone. A woman comes forward and says, 'I am big, it's the pictures that got small.' I was very much astonished when I heard the words, many of them retained and some of them to music. I'm not an expert on music but it sounded good to me.

The quote is referred to in both Ed Sikov's On Sunset Boulevard: The Life and Times of Billy Wilder and George Perry's Sunset Boulevard: From Movie to Musical.

TR_Wolf wrote:
As for Patti (LuPone), she's good in other things, but she was far too quiet and lacked the passion and slight madness to play Norma...

Incidentally, Wilder also raved about Patti LuPone's performance as Norma Desmond; in the Sikov book he says that 'she's a star from the moment she walks on stage.'

Later days
David

Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:26 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

My Billy Wilder quote comes from the person who sat next to him of Sunset Boulevard opening night and spoke to him about it afterwards - and had known him well for several years. Official statements often tend to vary from quotes from friends and business acquaintances...

Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:30 am
Profile YIM WWW

Main Role: Performer
I agree..i ant believe Wilder would ravbe about LuPone's' terrible performance as Norma.

Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:35 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

My Billy Wilder quote comes from the person who sat next to him of Sunset Boulevard opening night and spoke to him about it afterwards - and had known him well for several years. Official statements often tend to vary from quotes from friends and business acquaintances...

To be fair, that was on the opening night. He could have changed his mind since then. Not that it matters. :)

Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:38 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Haha maybe. ;) But Wilder was a very strong-willed man and he was not pleased that he had no say when the rights to Sunset were sold to Webber - because he didn't own them as at that time the studios owned everything.

Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:43 am
Profile YIM WWW

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Wilder and SUNSET BOULEVARD musical / Patti...
JIJane wrote:
My Billy Wilder quote comes from the person who sat next to him on Sunset Boulevard opening night and spoke to him about it afterwards - and had known him well for several years. Official statements often tend to vary from quotes from friends and business acquaintances...

Even so, official statements are officially documented. What you're offering is merely hearsay.

Salome wrote:
I can't believe Wilder would rave about LuPone's terrible performance as Norma.

Well, he did. Easy to believe, because LuPone's performance as Norma wasn't terrible.

Later days
David

Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:43 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next