The Resource For Musicals

Aspects of Love Forum

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Probably the show that has the most depth 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Post Probably the show that has the most depth
If you really look into the story lines of most ALW shows.. I think Aspects undoubatedly has the most complex and depth storyline. I wonder why the good shows that ALW writes--like "Aspects" and "By Jeeves" dont do well...

Does anyone have a theory?

I think it's because Cats, Phantom, and all other ALW shows rely so much on spectacle...when something like Aspects came out, that was more intimate-- It did not please the ALW crowd-goer. But, it's plain as day that the lesser known Webber shows to me seem better...I always liked "Aspects"-- loved "By Jeeves"....Too bad, most people dont appriciate them.

West Side Story-A-rab
Forum- Hero
A Christmas Carol-Bob Crachit
Narnia-Mr. Beaver
La Cage Aux Folles-Hercule
Fiddler on the Roof-Sasha/Dancer

Mon May 07, 2007 5:35 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I think that is true of most shows. Spectacle is what audiences want. What is the hottest show now? Wicked. The lyricist/composer most dear to the musical theater enthusiasts is Sondheim but his shows run at best, what, around 2 years.

Tue May 08, 2007 10:55 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I agree I think people look for a couple of hours of escapisim these days because life is so depressing these days. Credit crunch rising crime etc etc. Which is why feelgood shows like 'Hairspray' (besides it being a brilliant production in it's own right) are doing so well. Personally I think Aspects of love, Sunset Boulevard and Women in White are my favourite ALW shows.

Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:42 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

What about Superstar and Evita? Lots more depth and emotion and far from "feel good."

Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:56 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
JCS and Evita are good but they dont reach the emotional depths and realisim of Aspects of Love.

Aspects , Evita and Sunset are Webbers 3 good works.

Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:52 am
Profile WWW

I was just about to post a topic like this. Aspects is, by far, ALW's greatest work.

And Salome, I COMPLETELY agree!

Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:46 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I dislike the musical actually. I found the storyline completely unbelievable and trite. There are a few select songs I am really fond of such as 'There is More to Love', 'Anything But Lonely', 'The First Man You Remember' and 'Chanson d'enfance', but in its entirety, I find it all a bit plodding.

Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:43 am
Profile WWW

you never read the novel then. Aspects is near perfect for a Webber show.
and trite?? its farm ore believable, intricate and real than most of Webber's hack work.
Other Pleasures is the best song he ever wrote.

and I dont know what production you saw but its far from plodding. it moves quick for a show that covers the decades..and Sir George is one of the most interesting characters ever put on the musical stage.

go see it again..its 100 times better than webber's usual junk like Phantom,Starlight,Cats, and Song and Dance.

Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:31 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

No, I haven't read the novel. I'm not judging it as an adaptation, I'm judging it as something that can move me or not. Overall, no. Some of the individual songs are my favourite songs ever of ALW.

You mention about it being more believable than his other works; certainly, it's realism. Cats, Starlight and Phantom never pretend to be realistic, hence why people can let go and suspend belief when watching such shows. As this musical tries to be serious, dramatic, and realistically moving, it ironically becomes less believable for me. It's subjective and open to opinion, and I wouldn't suggest that some musicals are definitely better than others, I just didn't enjoy this as I have with other musicals.

You seem a tad on the elitist side, and I assume you are very knowledgable and have good reason for your condenscending attitude towards his big hits, but slating them as junk when others clearly enjoy them is a bit strong. But such is the case with anything that reaches commercial success. :roll: Not that I am judging you, I'm quite elitist myself with other areas of the entertainment business, but my involvement with musical theatre is very light hearted. :)

Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:52 am
Profile WWW

you still don't get it so..go listen to fluff like Hello Dolly and Cats.

Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:26 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

My goodness, did you miss out on your childhood? Because the maturity process seems to have eluded you?

Your attitude makes me laugh and pity you at the same time.

Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:41 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Saying aspects is realistic is living in an eternal Peyton Place world. But what it does SOO well I think is heighten and encourage all those romantic impulses and make them drama.

What I love about it IS how soap opera it is--for this brief moment--this is what matters to all these characters. It's a way more molodramatic--and frankly unrealistic version of Sondheim's Passion, which is prob why Prince didn't wanna touch it. It;'s a gorgeous chamber piece tho.

Sometimes a relationship can consume you--I think this colours it more than anything else--and it's an amzing musical piece from ALW in that respect. It doesn't deal with any of the "deep" aspects such love does--and why the ---- should it? Sondheim has--and it freaks people out. and I love both piece for that

Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next