The Resource For Musicals

South Pacific Forum

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Washing your hair.... 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Washing your hair....
Just curious how others have either done or seen the washing of the hair done during "Wash that Man..". We are having a working "shower" onstage, and I really am going to be washing my hair. But, I'm worried about having a mic on with the water and stuff....

How did any of you do it?

Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:36 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
its called not using a mic. you dont need a mic in a show like South Pacific. if it were a rock musical like JCS or Chess where electric instruments are used thats one thing. If you are in a musical like South Pacific..it should be easy to project without a mic.

Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:21 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

^^ That's what I told our director! Especially b/c my belt carries pretty well (and it's not THAT big of a theatre.) But she really wants me to wear a mic....well, I guess when those tech guys freak out about the water while I'm wearing a mic, that will solve that! haha

Oh, and another thing....any suggestions on a shampoo to get that lathers up really well??

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:04 am

Main Role: Performer
use suave. but rememeber you need to pretend you are using a bar of soa..they didnt have bottled shampoo in 1942.

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:55 am
Profile WWW

Our director doesn't allow us to use mic's... unless you're REALLY quiet. He considers himself primarily an educator (it's HS theatre) and wants us to learn how to project our voices and fill a theatre.

We're using real water too... Cost the director a leg and an arm.

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:13 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Our Nellie used shaving cream to make it look like big soap suds, & then later, she somehow poured water over her head in the shower to rinse it out without getting her mic wet...I'm not sure how she did that.

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:24 pm

^^ That's what I told our director! Especially b/c my belt carries pretty well (and it's not THAT big of a theatre.) But she really wants me to wear a mic....well, I guess when those tech guys freak out about the water while I'm wearing a mic, that will solve that! haha

Oh, and another thing....any suggestions on a shampoo to get that lathers up really well??

You're gonna laugh, but completely cover the mic with a condom. That will keep it from getting wet! We used to have to do that when we were doing outdoor shows, so the mics wouldn't short out because of our sweating in the 90 Degree weather! LOL!

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:39 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

sunrae wrote:

You're gonna laugh, but completely cover the mic with a condom. That will keep it from getting wet! We used to have to do that when we were doing outdoor shows, so the mics wouldn't short out because of our sweating in the 90 Degree weather! LOL!

LOL!! I NEVER would have thought of that!!! I will definitely suggest that.....I am going to get some eyebrows raised when I bring it up!! haha

Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:25 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

When I was in the show our Nellie also used shaving cream for the lather. She rinsed it out using one of those camping showers disguised to look like a barrel of water with a spigot.
She wore no mic, we never do in our theater, we use overhear mics.

Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:19 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Les Mis, Alfie Boe
Just curious...how does Nellie get her hair dried and styled so fast AND put on an evening dress by the time her next scene comes along. There is only like 10 minutes in betwen there...it seems kind of tight.

Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:09 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Yeah. We never use mics either. Our director finds them repulsive in her words haha.

--
Current Roles

The Producers: Carmen

Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:54 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I don't know how they plan to do it in our production but I just saw it done on Kauai and rather than have her rinse in the shower, the nurses helped her rinse it out over a big metal washtub... it may have been just for this reason of being able to protect the microphone.

btw, in regards to the 'protection' topic... they also make something I believe they call a 'finger cot' or something... it looks like a small version of a condom (no comments needed! ) that is for keeping a wound on a finger dry... I think they still sell them... It might get you a few less looks!

Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next