The Resource For Musicals

Mamma Mia! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
I need help with Waterloo 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post I need help with Waterloo
Hello all,

First let me say that I just found this forum and I think Iwill like it. Second, let me apologize if I am not treating the forum correctly by simply asking a question or anything else that I might be doing wrong.

I am a middle-aged guy who found that within the last few years, I really like musicals. My job takes me to London on occasion and I always try to see a show or two well there and also in NY when I get to the city.

I was recently in NY and FINALLY got to see Mamma Mia...my wife and I loved it. With that said, let me get to my question. I have always enjoyed the music of Abba and now I finally see how the songs fit into the musical. I have one question though, how does Waterloo fit into the show? I thought that it was a great end to the show but I really didn't understand how it fit in. I noticed that the boat that was in the show, was named the Waterloo.

I am strictly a novice when it comes to musicals, but I know I like them and I am sure that this question is a commen sense thing to many of you professionals out there, so I am hoping you will share some of your wisdom with me.

Thanks in advance.....Mike

Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:35 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I am in the German MAMMA MIA, and to answer your question, the musical number of Waterloo is only in the show at the end for a Finale' number, and only that. Just to give the fans one of the greatest ABBA songs as a farewell. And the song is ALWAYS done in english.. no matter which language it is performed in. The boat, is just comical, and to fit in with the whole ABBA theme. i hope this answers your question

Greetings form MAMMA MIA - Germany

Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:55 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Hi and thanks for the response. It certainly does answer my question. I thought I might have been missing something when I saw the name of the boat.

I agree, there couldn't be a better Abba song to use as a finale. I am sure that is apparent to to you when you see the reaction from the crowd at the end of each performance.

Thanks again.....

Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:53 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

When I saw Mamma Mia! in Nashville, Waterloo was added at the end as an encore, an ABBA tag-on.

Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:40 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: I need help with Waterloo
When I saw this show advertised on TV the whole audience were on their feet clapping and singing along. Unfortuneately the London cast at the time I saw it were very poor and I remember many people complaining in the break about the less than ok vocals from the leading characters. The singing continued to be average to poor so at the end when the Waterloo intro came in, many were already walking out. So a rip roaring outgoing song was absolutely nulified because of the poor performances by all.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]