The Resource For Musicals

Mamma Mia! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
My theatre company are doing a tribute! 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post My theatre company are doing a tribute!
The musical theatre company I'm with
star-Light are doing a tribute to Mamma mia and We will rock you as our next show! If anyone has any pointers please feel free to give me advice on Costumes, hair stage presenace etc Please let me know here! Lol
Thanks x

Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:28 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
You can't do more than three songs from each show. It's technically illegal, and doing any of them with sets/costumes is too. I'm assuming ABBA/the creators of MM! and WWRY aren't getting any royalties for this?

Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:10 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

its allowed if its a tribute! and its Am dram so obviously its not gonna be full set or anything and we have the rights to use the songs we wish and also a medley which isn't ilegal.

Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:44 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: CATS, Charm&Smiley.
Main Role: Fan
I would still check with the rights owner for this one if you havent. As for me I am woundering if its oki to take famous songs for use in other musicals or plays...

Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:55 am

Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
It's most certainly not okay, Heavylove. Your suspicion is correct. In my opinion, changing a portion of a show or adding something or removing something is no different than tearing a piece off a painting or blotting it. Theatre is an art - the things performed within it are pieces of art.

This whole thing is kinda ironic too. Mamma Mia! in itself is a tribute to ABBA. Now we hear about an illegal tribute to Mamma Mia!?

Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Look!! it isnt my Frcken Company alright. So if anyone has a problem contact them and stop moaning about it. Its only a thread after all. Jeez ever heard of dont shoot the messenger?

Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:32 pm
Profile WWW

ActingDude17, how many numbers can be performed depends on the show. Not only that, but choral arrangements for all of the songs in Mamma Mia! are availalble, and I assume many from WWRY are also available too. How can you say that the show will be illegal if you

a) Don't know how many songs are being performed; and
b) Don't know if rights have been purchased for those songs?

Think about what information you've been given. A theatre company is performing songs by ABBA and Queen in a musical revue. Does this scream "illegality" to you? Sounds alright to me.

Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:06 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

ActingDude17, how many numbers can be performed depends on the show. Not only that, but choral arrangements for all of the songs in Mamma Mia! are availalble, and I assume many from WWRY are also available too. How can you say that the show will be illegal if you

a) Don't know how many songs are being performed; and
b) Don't know if rights have been purchased for those songs?

Think about what information you've been given. A theatre company is performing songs by ABBA and Queen in a musical revue. Does this scream "illegality" to you? Sounds alright to me.

Thank you for your Comment on the Subject. At least you thought about what i said instead of jumping in head first to answer it.

And to answer your questions.

1) Yes its legal, We wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't.
2) Its half of one and half of the Other and i can assure all of you that its legitimate Otherwise i wouldn't be taking part.

3) Its been cancelled anyway our venue was overbooked and our new venue is too small for them both.

4) Its been Changed to the full show of *Saucy jack and the space vixens* I posted this in another thread.

Thanks again for feedback Helped a Lot x

Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:05 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: CATS, Charm&Smiley.
Main Role: Fan
I agree with that Mamma mia is the tribune to ABBA and thus making another tribune sounds preatty awful if youre asking me and if I were BandB I wouldnt like that kind of tribunes. But if its a revue kinda story with works from severel different creators say for an era or an actors life I am a bit more unsure even thou I still would contact the different creators and ask. 8)

Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:10 am

I don't think it sounds horrible. Well, I don't like ABBA that much, but that's besides the point. It's just performing songs by ABBA without doing the entire show of Mamma Mia.

Wait, what?

Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]