What: to play Donna Sheridan
When: 2007 movie
Where: London & Greece
Why: Because people are stupid.

broadway.com. See for yourself.

Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:33 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Streep can act but can she sing or will she lip synch? Considering her background in musical theater, Catherine Zeta-Jones would have been better. If not as Donna then I'd like Zeta-Jones as Tanya. "Does Your Mother Know" needs someone who is animated and can be seductive and Zeta-Jones proved she could do it from her performance in Chicago.

Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:26 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Good or bad?
musikal_geek wrote:
Who: Meryl Streep

Almost every forum I go into i hear something about it being made into a move. Musicals are for the stage!! People who saw rent for example now hate the musical of it because they saw the movie first and they are different. At this rate musicals wont exist years from now

Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:45 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Why Streep???
IMO she can't be good Donna:)

Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:37 am
Profile ICQ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

prettypanda09 wrote:
musikal_geek wrote:

Almost every forum I go into i hear something about it being made into a move. Musicals are for the stage!! People who saw rent for example now hate the musical of it because they saw the movie first and they are different. At this rate musicals wont exist years from now

There are a lot of famous films that were musicals. Chicago was good and I think Grease is better in film than on the stage. And I think Moulin Rouge was brilliant. For me, one big problem with RENT is Christopher Columbus. I don't like his direction. Maybe if the film version of Mamma Mia! uses dream-like scenes for the songs like Chicago did, it may go over better with the public.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:38 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

prettypanda09 wrote:
musikal_geek wrote:

Hogwash!

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)
CHRISTMAS LOVE TRAIN (2007)

Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Major Eyeroll...
Pounce wrote:
There are a lot of famous films that were musicals. Chicago was good and I think Grease is better in film than on the stage. And I think Moulin Rouge was brilliant. For me, one big problem with RENT is Christopher Columbus. I don't like his direction. Maybe if the film version of Mamma Mia! uses dream-like scenes for the songs like Chicago did, it may go over better with the public.

Chicago was excellent (as an adaptation and as a film in its own right), an excellent production of Grease can be as rewarding as the film, Moulin Rouge was ok (let down by weak points in the narrative, some fundamental stylistic inconsistencies and overly frenetic editing) and RENT wasn't as bad as everyone says but it was never going to be as good as anyone expected it to be.

And forget "dream-like scenes". Songs can exist on film without having to appear as performances. MTV has made this particularly acceptable to contemporary moviegoers. But directors forget to trust it and then tend not to set up the conventions properly - this was one of the main problems in Dreamgirls. And it could have been so easily avoided....

prettypanda09 wrote:
At this rate musicals wont exist years from now.

jcstar wrote:
Hogwash!

Indeed. The movie musical survived the second State Fair, Grease 2 and The Fantasticks. It will survive Phantom of the Opera and The Producers too.

Later days
David

Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:32 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I'm actually expecting a good performance from her, based largely on this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-d2i4PhqlM

Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:58 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Streep can sing. She studied singing before her film career really took off.

Her singing can be heard in films SILKWOOD (during end credits where she sings "Amazing grace"), POSTCARD FROM THE EDGE (she sings two songs, "You don't know me" and "I'm checking out" or what ever it is called) and DEATH BECOMES HER (opening scene).

So if there is one good thing about making a film version of this extremely overrated (and awful!) musical, it is Meryl Streep!!

Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:54 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

this extremely overrated (and awful!) musical

I beg to differ. I thoroughly enjoyed the musical on Broadway and I know many, many others really enjoyed seeing it, too.

You are of course, free to not like it, but that doesn't make it an awful musical. :)

Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:15 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I beg to differ. I thoroughly enjoyed the musical on Broadway and I know many, many others really enjoyed seeing it, too.

You are of course, free to not like it, but that doesn't make it an awful musical. :)

And I know a lot of people don't like it.

I just found the book pretentious and predictible. The "jokes" weren't funny. And boring when it comes to the arrangements of the songs: no surprises there (save the lovely ballad version of "The Winner Takes It All"), could have stayed home and listen to the ABBA albums because the songs sounded exactly the same and where they actually can sing those songs.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion but that doesn't mean this musical is a masterpiece. ;)

Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:17 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Of course you're entitled to your opinion but that doesn't mean this musical is a masterpiece. ;)

Agreed. :)

Though, it's success should at least indicate that most people don't think it is horrible, right? ;-)

Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next