The Resource For Musicals

Mamma Mia! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Mamma Mia! Movie 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I just came back from seeing the movie my 4th time. I love it. Every part of it, lol - even Pierce Brosnan's singing. For me, it just added to the character of the movie. I've been wanting to get on here and see what others thought but I avoided it because I wanted to revel in my own enjoyment of the film.
So far, the stage version has eluded me. (I have the OCR memorized. :wink: ) I'm going to try to see it in Albuquerque in March, but I was wondering about a few things that were in the movie and whether or not they were in the stage version.
My favorite part of the movie, second only to "Dancing Queen" (makes me weep each time I see it - something about all those women, young, old, big, small, dancing so full of joy together) was the "Greek chorus". God, that was so hilarious! Is that in the stage play as well?

Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:41 pm
Profile YIM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I saw it again as part of our local Coca-Cola Summer Film Festival. I also had a lot of wine and cheese before the show. :P But the house was packed with a very enthusiastic audience (maybe close to 4,000 and mostly women) so the vocal audience infused the film with more energy making it that much better this time. Plus the audience was on its feet during the closing credits singing and swaying their arms in rhythm to the music. It will probably go down as a ladies-night-out kind of film being that it is a chick-flick/girl-power movie.

But still, the film could have been better. :(

Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:23 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

i am an extra for the new nickolas sparks movie "Dear John," and Amanda Sefried is playing the lead female role. I was literally 3 feet away from her at one point. i never realized how tiny she is. she is really pretty and seems really nice also.

Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:17 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
^^ She looked very short and small in the movie.

Just rented it (watched for the first time) and...
:?

I know NOTHING about the stage show, never really got into it or wanted to see it. So, just as a movie... it was... OK. I didn't think ANY of the guys could sing that well at all, and I had to fast forward through Pierce Brosnan. Colin Firth singing tickled me, as did him dancing around shirtless. ;)
I liked the story, and the characters, but I guess I'm just not a fan of fitting these already established songs into a plot. Or something.
Meryl Streep was fantastic, though. I really admire her talent.

Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:46 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Main Role: Performer
I really admire Streep's talent.

Who doesn't? :) :) She's fab...both as an actress and as a person!

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:12 am

Main Role: Fan
I bought a copy of this movie for the kids for Christmas. I have to tell you that we all watched the movie together a couple of night ago and had an absolute blast. The kids were singing and dancing along with their favorite parts. We all laughed at the movie and each other. There is definitely room in this world for that kind of entertainment.

I was disapointed at the look of the film on the TV screen. We have a 50 inch plasma, but the visuals can't match the theatre. I thought one of the highlights of the movie was the setting in the greek islands. The cinematography was just gorgeous on a large movie screen. It's tough to match that at home.

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:59 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I finally broke down and rented it even though I hate Abba however the movie was quite enjoyable. OK Streep will never win a Grammy but she did a good job and the girl who played her daughter was great. Whoever told Brosnan he could sing should be flayed alive, that was the worst singing I have ever heard in a musical (even that blond girl with the big noise in High School Musical sang better and that's not saying much) He should never be allowed to sing again. I will watch it again though when it comes on HBO. I doubt if I would buy it though.

Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:53 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

He should never be allowed to sing again.

Sadly, you're going to get slapped in the face, as will the rest of us. I read on the MFL forum that he's going to be the next Higgins.

:cry: Why God, why?

Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:00 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

lonewriter wrote:

Sadly, you're going to get slapped in the face, as will the rest of us. I read on the MFL forum that he's going to be the next Higgins.

are you joking? :?: You'd think they would know better after that fiasco.

Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:28 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I wish I were joking...but that's what I heard. :roll: Oh, Lord.

Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:08 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

The cast rules, i'm not normally big on abba but this cast really delivers. I never would have guessed Streep could shine so bright in a musical.

I'm impressed, i've been passing the time at work playing this little online game it's actually pretty fun and supports the new dvd release. You guys should check it out.

http://www.mammamiacongaline.com/

Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:01 pm

Main Role: Fan
SomeoneLikeYou wrote:
lonewriter wrote:

are you joking? :?: You'd think they would know better after that fiasco.

Please God NO! I saw Rex Harrison perfrom the role. If all the younger generation have to refer to is Pierce it will scar them for life. Someone please save the younger generation!

Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next