Mamma Mia the film - A Good Idea?
Yes 61%  61%  [ 17 ]
No 39%  39%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 28

Mamma Mia the film!? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Mamma Mia the film!?
I am not sure if this is just rumours and hear'say but I read in the papaer today that thier are plans for Mamma Mia the film! :lol:

Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:40 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

I haven't the faintest idea on how this could work. I mean... How are they planning on doing that? I think it would take away the magic.

Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:23 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I haven't the faintest idea on how this could work. I mean... How are they planning on doing that? I think it would take away the magic.

I don't see why not. It's a musical like any other that has been filmed. What I'm thinking is Chicago has been the only musical in recent times that has done well at the box office (I don't think Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was much in the way of a musical). They'd probably have to put in big name actors for the roles in order to do well financially. It might have to be something like Nicole Kidman as Donna, Ewan McGregor as Sam, Linsay Lohan as Sophie, Rosie O'Donnell as...well...Rosie, Lisa Kudrow (can she sing?) as Tanya , Hugh Jackman could be Bill or Harry.

Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:58 am

Fantine wrote:

It might have to be something like Nicole Kidman as Donna, Ewan McGregor as Sam, Linsay Lohan as Sophie, Rosie O'Donnell as...well...Rosie, Lisa Kudrow (can she sing?) as Tanya , Hugh Jackman could be Bill or Harry.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Except, maybe, the Rosie part. She could be okay. But other than that, kill me now.

Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:46 am

Pounce wrote:
Fantine wrote:

It might have to be something like Nicole Kidman as Donna, Ewan McGregor as Sam, Linsay Lohan as Sophie, Rosie O'Donnell as...well...Rosie, Lisa Kudrow (can she sing?) as Tanya , Hugh Jackman could be Bill or Harry.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Except, maybe, the Rosie part. She could be okay. But other than that, kill me now.

Let's do group suicide.

Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:49 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Hey...sorry. When talking film, it's Hollywood not Broadway. :P

Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:02 pm

musikal_geek wrote:
Pounce wrote:
Fantine wrote:

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Let's do group suicide.

Are you free tomorrow?

Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:08 pm

I'm sure I could work something out.

Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:02 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Tom Hanks is producing it...so its not going to be a small scale film...but he's a good producer...so...well...maybe...ah who am i kiding...musical theatre should stay as theatre.

Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:13 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I'm all for making films of great shows. I mean, not everyone can make it to Broadway to see some of the greats.

BUT does anyone else feel like they're just grabbing at straws here. If the market is flooded with musicals, people are going to get sick of it and stop going to see them. Then we'll be stuck in another one of those 10 year droughts where we don't even get one musical film.

Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:36 am

Tom Hanks is producing it...so its not going to be a small scale film...but he's a good producer...so...well...maybe...ah who am i kiding...musical theatre should stay as theatre.

Ugh...where did you here this? Because I searched Mamma Mia today on the Internet Movie Data Base, and nothing came up about a new movie, or even anything that had to do with the musical. And - from past experience - IMDb knows every movie out there, even movies that are coming in '08. What is your source?

Edit: I'm not trying to hunt you down. I just re-read my post and I sounded really mad -- not what I'm going for! :P

Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:52 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

http://www.movieweb.com/news/66/12166.php

Wasn't Hanks behind "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"? I think it was partly because his wife is Greek. Maybe he's interested because of the Greek connection in Mamma Mia! Funny though because their isn't much Greek about the show. I wonder if Hanks will try to sneak Nia Vardalos in? :P

I'd rather they used former cast members of the show but they'll probably use the "Chicago" and "Moulin Rouge" rule and go for "name" actors. I just hope they use a director that knows how to do a musical.

Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next