The Resource For Musicals

Mamma Mia! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
good mother's day gift? 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post good mother's day gift?
i wanna take my mum out for mother's day...and i'd like to see a show...as i like shows...do you think this would be the better one?

Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:35 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

If your mom likes ABBA, then she will ADORE this musical. Well, that's the most common case, anyways.

Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:54 pm

You don't even have to adore ABBA to like it, it's just a brilliant show that will leave you with a very happy feeling afterwards :)

Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:49 am
Profile WWW

You don't even have to adore ABBA to like it, it's just a brilliant show that will leave you with a very happy feeling afterwards :)

I agree, but I disagree at the same time. The plot itself is likeable without liking ABBA, but not the musical part. If someone just hates ABBA, then there's a slim chance that they will like the musical. The part that I do agree with is that you will leave the theatre with a happy feeling. There's no way that you can't. But I also think that you definately HAVE to be familiar with ABBA, or else the show isn't as enjoyable. I laughed the hardest at how they wove the songs into the plot. I just found that hilarious and found myself with tears of laughter in my eyes! If you don't know the music, it just doesn't work.

Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:52 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

It's an entertaining Musical... but as far as the plot goes I find it a little superficial and not a truly amazing plot.. it's you typical "let's try to combine lots of fun ABBA songs together and make some sort of story line"....the music is fun though and the dancing and action is fun to watch.

Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:08 pm

Fantine wrote:

I agree, but I disagree at the same time. The plot itself is likeable without liking ABBA, but not the musical part. If someone just hates ABBA, then there's a slim chance that they will like the musical. The part that I do agree with is that you will leave the theatre with a happy feeling. There's no way that you can't. But I also think that you definately HAVE to be familiar with ABBA, or else the show isn't as enjoyable. I laughed the hardest at how they wove the songs into the plot. I just found that hilarious and found myself with tears of laughter in my eyes! If you don't know the music, it just doesn't work.

I agree that when you absolutely HATE ABBA that this musical isn't very enjoyable :P

However I don't think that you will have to be familiar with ABBA because I wasn't too familiar with all their music and I really enjoyed the show. Furthermore there's the aspect that I saw the show in Dutch and thus the lyrics were Dutch and therefore different from the original lyrics, but this didn't change the joy for me. It increased it, in fact.

Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:16 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I took my mum to see it after I got tickets for my birthday. My mum was a very big ABBA fan in her day. But I don't think she liked it. But then again, she, like me, has taste. If I were you I'd take your mum to something you know will be worth your eighty bucks.

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:43 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

thanks...but i couldnt get tickets anyway...sold out everywhere!! unless i was willin to pay £60 a ticket...which i wasnt..mainly cause im a poor student!

Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]