The Resource For Musicals

Spamalot Forum

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
How Spamalot could save broadway. 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I went to see Spamalot at the end of last year on Broadway with a group of Kids from Australia (57 of us) with only 8 of us above the age of 18 a lot of the younger kids didn't get the references/jokes (apart from the one English kid there) Personally i was absolutely pissing myself laughing through the entire musical! to the point that people were looking at me! (sorry but i couldnt help it im such a python fan) during the interval i got up to go to the toilet and i was angered to see some of the group sleeping, at first i put it down to them being tired (we did have a pretty full day and it was late at night) but then after the show had finished we were heading out the front and i heard many of the kids and even some of the teachers remark about how it was the "worst musical they had ever seen" i turned to them and basically shouted at them... i mean they had seen what maybe 4 musicals in their lives so far? maybe 1 back home if they were lucky and the Drowsy chaperone and wicked from the day before... And because the 'group' didnt enjoy it they didnt want to hang around at the stage door to get autographs like we did at the other shows, i was livid! i was standing there with my program and a marker ready to go get autographs and talk to the cast and suddenly the teachers start walking the group away down the street and wouldnt let me go back by myself to get them! Leaving i noticed the lady of the lake looking at the group (god knows what she was thinking... probably that this group of kids would want autographs but when none of us came back she just walked away, i felt really bad) It was luck that i ran into Lancelot at the crossing in times square and managed to get his autograph.

Anyway i digress... Spamalot was a fantastic musical that makes fun of other musicals! Some people i know got offended by some of the songs because they were Jewish and it made fun of them... but you have to understand Broadway and python humour to get it and once you do its very cleaver.

SPAMALOT IS COMING TO MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA IN DECEMBER!!! Im getting tickets for my 21st birthday :D haha

Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:00 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Anyway i digress... Spamalot was a fantastic musical that makes fun of other musicals! Some people i know got offended by some of the songs because they were Jewish and it made fun of them... but you have to understand Broadway and python humour to get it and once you do its very cleaver.

The writers needed to have an intimate grasp of Yiddish/Jewish culture to accurately capture the music and nuance of the humor, which was dead on. You can be sure they weren't Southern Baptists. Jews have been joking about themselves since the beginning of time. This was one of the times to laugh.

If you saw 'Borat", you saw more cutting edge humor that many found offensive to Jews. The writer of the material was also Jewish. The dilemma is that if you push humor too far, you will offend someone. If you push it WAY to for, you will offend everyone and be labeled a bigot and racist. The perfect receipe is a delicate blend that touches on everything and is bound together by endless laughter. For those of us who let our imaginations go free, Spamalot was precisely that.

Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:53 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

but shows like High Fidelity and Legally Blonde need to be stopped

hey
legally blonde was really, really good. i saw it on bway and tivoed it this weekend on MTV. its one of my favorite musicals now. have you seen it? if not, don't underestimate it.

"I expect nothing. I fear no one. I am free." -Nikos Kazantaskis
"Of course I''m ambitious. What''s wrong with that? Otherwise you would sleep all day long." -Ringo Starr

Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2