New Broadway Standards 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post New Broadway Standards
from Spamalot:

"The Song That Goes Like This"
"Find Your Grail"
"Whatever Happened To My Part?"

Just think... a new compilation of recent Broadway tunes comes out, and these are on the disc.

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)
CHRISTMAS LOVE TRAIN (2007)

Last edited by jcstar on Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:56 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I love these songs! :mrgreen: Although I don't think they'd be as funny to a person who doesn't do musicals and therefore wouldn't really understand the humor. My choir group at school (which consists of quite a few actors, as well) did a choral arrangement of "The Song That Goes Like This" and thoroughly enjoyed it--we got to act out all of the lyrics and such ("overact like hell," ya know 8)) and we all thought it was rather entertaining... Until we performed it at a concert to a bunch of junior high kids giving us blank stares. Whoops.

Anyways, I'm going off on an irrelevant tangent here, but you're right; I definitely like the idea of seeing these songs on a Broadway compilation CD in the near future! :D

:mrgreen:

Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:44 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

that is cool i have the soundtrack of Spamalot already though

WHAT I HAVE BEEN IN:
~Music Man
~Bye Bye Birdie

Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:25 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
that is cool i have the soundtrack of Spamalot already though

no you don't you have the cast recording.

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:00 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The Diva's Lament...also known as Whatever Happened To My Part? has been ruined for me forever, as a 15 year old girl sang it at a recent talent competition.

What 15 year old should be singing that song?

Argh.

Tue May 09, 2006 9:55 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The Diva's Lament...also known as Whatever Happened To My Part? has been ruined for me forever, as a 15 year old girl sang it at a recent talent competition.

Argh.

Ehh, I dunno. That's definitely not the age that the song is intended for, but give 15-year-olds some credit. I've been doing theater since I was 8 or so, and I know that by 15 I could definitely relate to that song (even if just slightly). Plus, I can't blame anyone for wanting to sing it... I love the song. :D

Wed May 10, 2006 12:02 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

MsDivaKate wrote:

Argh.

Ehh, I dunno. That's definitely not the age that the song is intended for, but give 15-year-olds some credit. I've been doing theater since I was 8 or so, and I know that by 15 I could definitely relate to that song (even if just slightly). Plus, I can't blame anyone for wanting to sing it... I love the song. :D

Its not necessarily whether they can relate to it, its more of a vocal issue for me. Vocally there's a lot of songs out there that I cringe hearing young singers perform because they just aren't vocally mature enough for it. As old as they think they sound. However part of my job is now working with people who have had vocal problems. My cousin is also a voice therapist and she's surprised at the number of 14,15, 16 year olds she sees who already have nodes because of their improper singing and trying to tackle songs that are just too big for them

This specific girl in question that sang the Diva's Lament, also sang Girl In 14G...are you familiar with that at all, the year before at age 14. Whatever voice teacher willingly lets her students sing songs meant for older voices should be dragged out back and shot, in my opinion lol

Wed May 10, 2006 12:30 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Its not necessarily whether they can relate to it, its more of a vocal issue for me. Vocally there's a lot of songs out there that I cringe hearing young singers perform because they just aren't vocally mature enough for it. As old as they think they sound.

Ahh, of course, I should've known that was what you were talking about. It's like the 12-year-old Wickieboppers that ruin their voices trying to scream "Defying Gravity" like Idina. In that case, I'd have to agree with you that some songs really aren't appropriate for younger singers... [-(

Wed May 10, 2006 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

The deciding factor here, Kate, is wether or not the girl who sang it is a Diva? Is she a Diva, Kate? Did she Divatize the song? Kate? DIVA or dud?

I personally feel that while the songs are HIGHLY enjoyable in the show, they are nowhere near "Broadway Standards."

All-Star Musical Character://Younger Brother in Ragtime

Theme Song://Good Thing Going from Merrily We Roll Along

Wed May 10, 2006 3:59 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The deciding factor here, Kate, is wether or not the girl who sang it is a Diva? Is she a Diva, Kate? Did she Divatize the song? Kate? DIVA or dud?

The deciding factor is nothing. Some songs are just not meant for young singers.

And why must you start something.

Wed May 10, 2006 5:08 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Yikes! I was supposed to audition recently for a musical, and I had decided on "Come To Me" (the one that leads into the Laker Girls Cheer) - I figured Spamalot hadn't been done to death yet. I guess I'm wrong!

Fri May 12, 2006 12:16 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

^Ignore Kate's comments. She is most obviously a Diva herself, as implied by the username. SING IT

MsDivaKate wrote:
B3TA07 wrote:

The deciding factor is nothing. Some songs are just not meant for young singers.

And why must you start something.

I wasn't starting anything.

Image You need one of these.

All-Star Musical Character://Younger Brother in Ragtime

Theme Song://Good Thing Going from Merrily We Roll Along

Sat May 13, 2006 8:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next