The Resource For Musicals

Wicked Forum

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Who has the best music:The Wizard or the younger characters? 

The Wizard's Music or that of the younger characters?
The Wizard 50%  50%  [ 10 ]
Younger Characters 50%  50%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 20

Who has the best music:The Wizard or the younger characters? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Who has the best music:The Wizard or the younger characters?
I think it's quite obvious that The Wizard's musical expression is quite different from that of any of the younger characters. I did a survey (which I posted on this site and many of you kindly completed) where I asked participants to rank 5 characters in order of how accessible they find their musical style and the majority ranked The Wizard last. I want to investigate this further.

Whose music do you find more accessible - The Wizard or lets say Elphaba, Glinda, Fieyro and Nessa Rose collectively? If you're willing to disclose your age, could you do so in your response (or if you'd rather send me a PM, then do that!)? It's just that I'm wondering whether age comes into the equation.

What is it about the Vaudeville/Kander and Ebb style songs that people don't like? Is it actually anything to do with his music or just the fact that he's not a nice character?

Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:54 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Other...
Post Re: Who has the best music:The Wizard or the younger charact
*20s*

I prefer the -music- of the younger, but I also find the -lyrics- that the Wizard has in Wonderful more... meaningful? Perhaps it's something to do with the fact that the Wizard uses this song to explain himself whereas with the others... you kind of already know how they feel from their actions and words on the stage prior to the song.
I think, perhaps some people might think that the two styles clash a little, and the Wizard having fewer songs than the other characters put together seems to have songs that stick out a bit. I like his songs a lot more than I used to. I think I remember finding them a little dull when I first heard them. Maybe people just don't identify with him very well in general, so they just kind of switch off and miss the meaning in the lyrics. Most people probably don't like to think that they have anything in common with someone like him.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:14 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
The Wizard has the most well-written song in the show, some would argue the only one, so I give my vote for best music to him. I am fifteen.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:23 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: CATS, Charm&Smiley.
Main Role: Fan
This question was really easy to answer, I really dont like the wizards songs that much and actually think theyre preatty boring, at least when listened at on the cd, aka out off context. Also the wizard really is a secondary caracter in this show and I think this reflects in the music.

Most off my favorite music off the show belongs to Elphaba, even thou Glinda has a part in some off the songs. My top songs tends to be: I am Not That Girl, Defying Gravity, No Good Deed and For Good but I also find songs like Popular and One Short Day really good.

Wed May 04, 2011 1:12 am

Main Role: Stage Manager
To listen to, watch performed, etc. I prefer the songs of the Wizard. Both because his music is more fun and because it's written better.

That being said, I sing along to the younger characters' songs more, simply because I tend to sing female songs before male songs. :P

I am 19.

Wed May 04, 2011 6:59 am

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
Wonderful >>>> everything in the score.
Seriously. It's a damn good song, and stands as one of Schwartz's best ever.

So I guess my answer is the Wizard, lol. I'm sixteen (going on seventeen in three weeks).

Wed May 04, 2011 3:25 pm

I would say the Wizard has with confidence, although I won't elaborate as honestly most of what I would say has already been explained.

I'm 19.

Wed May 04, 2011 3:40 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Profetikus wrote:
This question was really easy to answer, I really dont like the wizards songs that much and actually think theyre preatty boring, at least when listened at on the cd, aka out off context. Also the wizard really is a secondary caracter in this show and I think this reflects in the music.

Most off my favorite music off the show belongs to Elphaba, even thou Glinda has a part in some off the songs. My top songs tends to be: I am Not That Girl, Defying Gravity, No Good Deed and For Good but I also find songs like Popular and One Short Day really good.

All I want to say is: "Now that you've chosen to become a pallasis ter anadviser there's nobody wiser…"

Mis-stress? have anyone ever understood that sentence without reading the lyrics?

Thu May 05, 2011 1:42 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

High-baritonne wrote:
Profetikus wrote:

All I want to say is: "Now that you've chosen to become a pallasis ter anadviser there's nobody wiser…"

Mis-stress? have anyone ever understood that sentence without reading the lyrics?

I did. Not that hard to understand. What is the mis-stress? Pal and Sister are the emphasised words.

Thu May 05, 2011 6:34 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Mungojerrie_rt wrote:
High-baritonne wrote:
Profetikus wrote:

I did. Not that hard to understand. What is the mis-stress? Pal and Sister are the emphasised words.

I wrote how it is pronounced. When reading the score the words are understood as Pallasis ter anadviser.

Mon May 16, 2011 12:29 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: CATS, Charm&Smiley.
Main Role: Fan
After seeing the show I must admit that the wizard songs has grown on me since they make a lot more sence. But still I think that mainly Elphaba has some amazing songs that far outweight the wizards dito, IMO.

Thu May 19, 2011 2:10 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I'm in my 20's.
The songs that the Wizard sings have really witty texts. The words are so important and their patter-song-like quality adds to his slap-stick style humor. He is delightful and simple yet his words are profound and clever. And yet the style of the music that he has seems older...which is right that it should because he IS older. I tend to relate more to the songs sung by the leading ladies (which, i'm sure that is in part because those are the ones you are supposed to really relate to). Their songs are also more melodically and harmonically stimulating. I feel like the emotion behind their music is more powerful than the emotion in the wizard's songs--his are not as important to the plot either. Theirs are pivitol and since the plot is built and heightened because of the leading ladies responses and choices, it makes sense that their music would be the most moving.
That's just my opinion.

Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next