The Resource For Musicals

Wicked Forum

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
High note in "Popoular" scene 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Performer
The two time's I saw Wicked Lucy Durack did what Kristin did and instead of squealing, sung a high note. She did it both matinee and evening show to answer your question :D

She did that when I saw her too.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:10 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Writing
Main Role: Fan
[quote~Tashie-Tiggular~ wrote:
The two time's I saw Wicked Lucy Durack did what Kristin did and instead of squealing, sung a high note. She did it both matinee and evening show to answer your question

i think whoever started this hread the last word in the song popular sung, "me". yea, its sung kinda high, but i dont know if its only done in evening shows

It's actually not that high. I have the sheet music and it's only a c.[/quote]

Oh, that's what I thought it was! Its what it sounded like. Hm..my musical ear must be better than I thought.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:08 am

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post High note in "Popular" scene
Felix Felicis wrote:
You mean squeal? Kristin Chenoweth did it mostly - a lot of the others have their own quirks. Some run around excitedly, others jump up and down, a few hide under their pillows etc.

Do any of them do any real acting? :wtf: Oh well, it's a a difficult task, I guess, given some of the material... :silent:

Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:16 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: CATS, Charm&Smiley.
Post Re: High note in "Popoular" scene
Its okey that you dont like Wicked or any other musical, but thats almost an personal assault on all the wonderful actors and actresses that has played in Wicked. Just my two cents.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:32 am

Post High note in "Popular" scene
Profetikus wrote:
Its okay that you don't like Wicked or any other musical, but thats almost an personal assault on all the wonderful actors and actresses that has played in Wicked.

It is not anything like a 'personal assault' on anyone. For the sake of comparison, here is an examples of a comments that is personal from elsewhere on the board:

In the Sherie Rene Scott thread, Salome wrote:
She has such a horse face.

Can you tell the difference?

Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:10 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: High note in "Popular" scene
RainbowJude wrote:
Felix Felicis wrote:
You mean squeal? Kristin Chenoweth did it mostly - a lot of the others have their own quirks. Some run around excitedly, others jump up and down, a few hide under their pillows etc.

Do any of them do any real acting? :wtf: Oh well, it's a a difficult task, I guess, given some of the material... :silent:

You could also argue that, with maybe the exception of Sondheim, what MT shows really require "true" acting? But I won't even go there. Instead, I will suggest that the only song in the show that demands actual acting, both in the singing and the words, is "Thank Goodness". The only Glinda to actually "get it", is Kendra. No, she's not the best Glinda by any means, but she's the only one to actually understand that song and what the character is going through, both vocally and theatrically in the moment.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:04 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: High note in "Popular" scene
Jman383 wrote:
RainbowJude wrote:
Felix Felicis wrote:

You could also argue that, with maybe the exception of Sondheim, what MT shows really require "true" acting? But I won't even go there. Instead, I will suggest that the only song in the show that demands actual acting, both in the singing and the words, is "Thank Goodness". The only Glinda to actually "get it", is Kendra. No, she's not the best Glinda by any means, but she's the only one to actually understand that song and what the character is going through, both vocally and theatrically in the moment.

Your point is valid, however what I don't like about Kendra's performance (that I presume you love) is that she belts most of the song. IIn belting it, I think it makes her sound like the same child of Act I where by this point in the show she has grown and is more adult. She nails the dramatic development of the song without consolidating it on the development of Act I.
-my 2c

JUST A LITTLE BIT, JUST A LITTLE BIT

R-E-S-P-E-C-T project

Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:42 pm

Post "Popular" --> Digression on Acting
Jman383 wrote:
You could also argue that, with maybe the exception of Sondheim, what MT shows really require "true" acting?

No, I don't think I would argue that at all.

Jman383 wrote:
Instead, I will suggest that the only song in the show that demands actual acting, both in the singing and the words, is "Thank Goodness".

So what, in your opinion, is "actual" acting or "true" acting, as you call it above? I am not sure I get what you mean. What's the definition? What the basis for comparison? Are you saying that acting based in realistic styles of theatre has a greater claim to legitimacy than acting based in heightened forms of theatre? If so, what about heightened forms of theatre other than musical theatre, say Greek tragedy or Elizabethan theatre or even, say, Noh, Kabuki or pan-African performance? And where does the line between "actual" acting and its opposite - I'm not sure what to call it - fall?

Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:12 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I am with Rainbow Judge here (and that was much off my point in the earlier statement.) Its perfectly okey that you dont like a musical or dont like the kind off acting thats in most musicals today since youre entitled to youre opinion, but if you put youreselfs on the high horses and give statements like that, youre gonna annoy a huge group off first rate actors and actresses that really take pride in theyre works.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:45 am

Post "Popular" --> Digression on Acting
Profetikus wrote:
I am with Rainbow Jude here (and that was much off my point in the earlier statement.) Its perfectly okay that you don't like a musical or don't like the kind of acting thats in most musicals today since you're entitled to you're opinion, but if you put yourselves on high horses and give statements like that, you're gonna annoy a huge group off first rate actors and actresses that really take pride in their work.

I'm not sure on what point it is that you're with me as I think there is a fair bit of misinterpretation going on here, not only in regard to the earlier post as I've already pointed out but also in regard to the subsequent discussion. That being the case, I would like to to make it absolutely clear that the questions that I asked Jordan were not asked to topple him off of any perceived high horse, but were questions asked because I would genuinely like to hear what he has to say regarding the matter and see what discussion arises therefrom.

Furthermore, why are you so concerned about annoying a bunch of people that you do not know? As I said earlier, none of this is about who these people are, it is about what they do. Criticism is an integral part of that and anyone who is involved in the arts at all knows that going in. So what's the problem, exactly?

Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:08 am
Profile WWW

My point is that in most musical theatre shows, the "acting" is just a characterization or in many cases, a charicature of a real person. It's not studied, there's no technique and it's forgotten about. It's sub-par. That's all I was trying to say. Granted, it depends on the actor/actress of course and the show they are working on, but for the most part, in the world of MT, the acting is lacking. Is that more clear?

Now, if you want to know what I think "true" acting is, that's another conversation all together, which I don't want to go into here. PM me if you really want to have that discussion, David.

And as for Kendra, no, the song is supposed to be belted. It's not whiny at all. Every other Glinda (including Cheno and Hilty, whom I adore), uses a heady mix that sounds absolutely AWFUL. Literally, like a high school girl first learning how to mix. The placement is just horrendous. Why? Those notes in the chest register, FOR A REASON. She is shouting. She is frustrated. And the transition from belting to head voice aka young to mature is a flawed concept. If it were truly the case, For Good and the I'm Not That Girl (Reprise) would be legit songs. They're not. They're in the lowest part of Glinda's range. But honestly, idk if that's a concept Schwartz was even going for. I think the only vocal concept with Glinda's vocal range is that in For Good she is on bottom and Elphaba is on top, because they've come full circle. Other than that, I don't think he intended for anything else.

But anyways, yes, Thank Goodness only sounds correct when Kendra sings it. No, she doesn't sing the High C, but she's the only one who belts it with as much fury and emotion as she does. Helene Yorke whines it. I hate it. Erin Mackey came close, but always got timid towards the end. But also, despite the notes, look at Kendra when she's singing the song. She's crying. Yes, it's over the top and she's playing to the people beyond the back row and out on the street, but she at least has the right IDEA. Like I said, she's not the best Glinda, but she's the only one to get that SONG.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:50 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Sorry Jman you totaly lost me here... And yes, much off what actors has to do depends on what show theyre doing, even more so in mt since many productions are replicas off the original show. But its still highly qualified acting involved, together with aded skills off singing and even dancing.

And lets not discuss who I knows about here...

Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next