The Resource For Musicals

Wicked Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
West End sound quality 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post West End sound quality
Saw Wicked in London on 24/10. Seats in circle, row L.

I thought the sound quality was dreadful and it meant I had a real problem following the story.

My partner coped with it a little better than I did, but still struggled. When I turned to her and asked "unadulterated what?" she told me they were singing about loathing. Genuinely, I had no idea.

At the interval, we loaded up Wikipedia on a phone to help fill in the gaps.

FWIW I'm 35 years old and have (as far as I know) normal hearing. I have never experienced this in a musical before.

So what was wrong? Was it the seats or some technical issue on the day? Or does it always sound a bit muffled in there, but I'm too fussy about wanting to hear every word?

I'd actually like to see the show again - it looks like it should have been great. If anyone can vouch that the sound is usually crystal clear, or that it's much better down in the stalls I'd give it another go.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:28 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I've never had a problem with sound in that theatre. It must just have been a hitch that day - did people around you seem to be having similar problems?

Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:00 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Writing
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: West End sound quality
luckydonut wrote:
Saw Wicked in London on 24/10. Seats in circle, row L.

I thought the sound quality was dreadful and it meant I had a real problem following the story.

My partner coped with it a little better than I did, but still struggled. When I turned to her and asked "unadulterated what?" she told me they were singing about loathing. Genuinely, I had no idea.

At the interval, we loaded up Wikipedia on a phone to help fill in the gaps.

FWIW I'm 35 years old and have (as far as I know) normal hearing. I have never experienced this in a musical before.

So what was wrong? Was it the seats or some technical issue on the day? Or does it always sound a bit muffled in there, but I'm too fussy about wanting to hear every word?

I'd actually like to see the show again - it looks like it should have been great. If anyone can vouch that the sound is usually crystal clear, or that it's much better down in the stalls I'd give it another go.

Where is West End???

Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:25 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

West End, in theatrical parlance, the area of central London in and around Shaftesbury Avenue where the major commercial theatres have been concentrated since the 19th century. It has become associated with polished but generally ‘lighter’ kinds of dramatic entertainment (musicals, farces, etc.) by contrast with the higher literary drama offered at theatres located in less fashionable districts—such as the Old Vic or the National Theatre, both south of the Thames.

Sort of the British Broadway

Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:28 pm

Current Obsession: Writing
Main Role: Fan
West End, in theatrical parlance, the area of central London in and around Shaftesbury Avenue where the major commercial theatres have been concentrated since the 19th century. It has become associated with polished but generally ‘lighter’ kinds of dramatic entertainment (musicals, farces, etc.) by contrast with the higher literary drama offered at theatres located in less fashionable districts—such as the Old Vic or the National Theatre, both south of the Thames.

Sort of the British Broadway

Oh. That's not even in my country. Oh well!

Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]