Wicked Forum

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Confused about 2 things 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Location: London, England, UK, Europe, The World, The Universe
Post Confused about 2 things
I'm a little confused about the following:

1. Why is Wicked Witch of the East not on any soundtrack recording? They could have at least put it on the 5th Anniversary one. It's also not mentioned in the "song-summary-section" of the Grimmerie... why?

2. Why are Elphaba's parents always referred to as "Witch's Mother" and "Witch's Father" in scripts, the Grimmerie, etc.? Why not Elphaba's Mother and Father, or why not use their names: Frex and Melena? I know they're only in the show for about 2 minutes but would it hurt to call them by their names? Even Shen Shen and Pfanee (Galinda's 2 cohorts who get her to give Elphaba the hat) are referenced in the Grimmerie, and their names aren't mentioned in the show.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:23 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

2. No idea.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:16 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Bare, Next to Normal
I too wish that they would have incorporated "Wicked Witch of the East" into the Original Broadway Cast Recording, or any recording for that matter, but I think it's because there's a lot of dialouge in that song; more than there is singing. If you compare the show to the Original Broadway Cast Recording, some of the dialouge is taken out between pieces of a song. That would be my guess. I do think it should be incorporated in a recording eventually though because it is part of the score and it's a great song.

Maybe the reason that the names are not incorporated is because everyone knew Elphaba as The Wicked Witch of the West in the show (Ensemble characters aka the general public). Even when The Wizard of Oz story first appeared to the world everyone knew her as The Wicked Witch of the West. It maked sense that they're named that also because their names are not used in the show. G(a)linda's posse is more important because G(a)linda is a major role in Wicked. They're minor characters and as a minor character, you sometimes don't get a name.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:22 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

1. Partly because it is a plot-moving device and also, as previously said, it contains an awful lot of dialogue. But I do love WWoTE so I hope it is included in a soundtrack at some point.

2. To be honest they're not very important characters and calling them Melena and Frex will confuse people who aren't familiar with the story. Personally I think than Pfannee and Shenshen shouldn't have been named either as it complicates things unnecessarily. One of the reasons I get annoyed with Wicked is all the things you're supposed to know/magically infer from the less-than-tight dialogue.

Ah well :)

Ygraine in Pendragon
Mrs O''Lafferty in Ragged Child

Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:47 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Maybe it's because at the point of the story they feature in (the very beginning) the audience are only familiar with The Wizard of Oz and Elphaba is still known as "The Witch", as shown in No One Mourns the Wicked.
Also, the producers are very weird about giving stuff away and keeping things very vague on the cast recording (which answers the first question), so they could've just put those names in the CD booklet and they kinda just worked their way into the theatre programme and show.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:47 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: The Current Bway Season; A Little Night Music
Main Role: Performer
One of the reasons I get annoyed with Wicked is all the things you're supposed to know/magically infer from the less-than-tight dialogue.

Btw, I'm sure you know this, but about the Pfannee/ShenShen thing...they aren't actually named IN the musical. I can't remember where it states their names in the Grimmerie, but the first time I actually became aware of their names was when I got hold of a copy of the script. It was a nice nod to "Oh, hey, I've read the book, I get it!" but I think fans who haven't read the book would simply glance over that and accept Galinda's friends' names as a random piece of trivia.

And yeah, I agree that I wish Melena and Frex were named, but it probably would have been too confusing for the audience, and "Witch's Mother" and "Witch's Father" do make more sense considering that the average audience member just remembers the Wizard of Oz (I always call them Melena and Frex in my mind, anyway). Though I wish the "Wicked Witch of the East" was on the soundtrack, too, and the soundtrack already does give away plenty...I have to admit it was a very special moment in the theatre when I realized that Boq was going to become the Tinman. :)

Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:27 am
Profile WWW

2 other reasons i hate the musical version of Wicked. . frx and melina's story is changed..and barely there.. and everyone knows nick chopper is the tin man not boq!

Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:14 am
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Shaw
2 other reasons i hate the musical version of Wicked. . frx and melina's story is changed..and barely there.. and everyone knows nick chopper is the tin man not boq!

I agree. I would even go further to say all non-Elphaba/Glinda character elements are minimal. The makers of the show were very smart when they decided to focus on that aspect, at least commercially smart. Whether focusing solely on that relationship is good art is another question.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:59 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Audiences like simplicity and 'cuteness' and 'OMG that so works!'

Therefore: Nick Chopper is nonexistent becuase he muddles up the storyline and doesn't make the whole cute circle 'it's a small world' thing.

Blegh.

Ygraine in Pendragon
Mrs O''Lafferty in Ragged Child

Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]