The Resource For Musicals

Wicked Forum

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Where does it say Elphaba must be tall?? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Where does it say Elphaba must be tall??
Hi I was recently in a theatre group (which I left because the director was...well lets just say a monkey could do his job better) and at the beginning was given the part of Elphaba, however two weeks later was told that my understudy and I would be sharing the part i.e when I played Elphaba she would play Scaramouche and vice versa (it was a cabaret btw) and then I came back two weeks later again only to be told that I was HER understudy when I asked why I got told that I am too short to play Elphaba however myself and the rest of the cast now that the only reason I am no longer Elphaba is because the director wants to get a leg over the other girl. Fair enough if somewhere in the script of Wicked it said MY HOW TALL YOU ARE ELPHABA I would be inclined to agree that yes I am too short however it does not say that and I am writing this so people know if you are to join this theatre group just make sure you're pretty because trust me with him as director thats the only way you are going to get the good songs or the songs you want

Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:04 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

It doesn't say it anywhere, Which is specifically why that director was obviously just looking for excuses. Favouritism and all that. I hate favouritism really i do its down right pathetic and unfair everyone should be given a chance at a role so long as they are good at it. Which you clearly where no doubt about it. I think he's lost an amazing performer and its his Loss and the cast cause we'll miss you something terrible.

Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:15 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Musician
someone: "why miss elphaba how tall are you?"
elphaba: "I'm defying gravity! Well now I'm about 11ft 8in., but I was 5'6""
haha

Favoritism. It's happened to me before. In chorus when we sang "What is this feeling" we told the teacher to add the beginning when they are writing the letters and we even told her if she planned on it to let us know so we could volunteer, so she never told us and picked 2 other girls who know nothing of wicked. They sang it COMPLETLY wrong and the teacher was humiliated for the rest of the concert.

Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:26 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

If that was the case then Donna Vivino, Vicki Noon, Merideth Kaye Clark Carrie M-something (can't recall off the top of my head...) wouldn't have played/be playing the role. They are tiny in person and in pictures, but you forget about that when they're onstage. (And psh, so Glinda is a bit taller? Who cares! Cause the OBC "set the standard"? Lame.)

Favoritism at its finest, sadly. It's happened to everyone at least once and that sucks that THAT, of all things, was the reason. Honestly, if you have the right voice and look (even if it is for a small thing) for it, why should height matter? Just grin and bear it and make the most of your part and MAKE the director see you have real talent.

'Cides, petite actresses can play fiercer roles because we're used to being fiery in person (or cute, if you want to go that route) as means of making up for it.

"Pocket Elphie" 's unite, I say. (And I'm only five-two but can belt the shiz out of anything)

Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:07 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Exactly! i hate favouritism, I remember going for the part of Audrey from little shop. The director said "Yeah you can try for that part if you want" but when it came to it, the girl playing elphaba was given the part without me even getting a chance to try which really annoyed me but, Now he's come to me and said "Oh she wont be here for the tour so, your audrey on tour ok?" I mean sure thats ok with me right but thats basically saying i'm shit and i'm only doing it because she can't go on tour. I was raging seriously raging but, it unavoidable i guess there's one in every company.

Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:09 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

uhm... most Elphabas are tiny. Idina and Kerry are like 5'3/5'4 or something. There is nothing to say Elphaba should be tall, unless the Glinda is like 5'10 and it would just look awkward.

Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:04 am

Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
Scaramouche isn't in the show Wicked, nor is it able to be performed by amateur companies yet... :-k

Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:14 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

If that was the case then Donna Vivino, Vicki Noon, Merideth Kaye Clark Carrie M-something (can't recall off the top of my head...) wouldn't have played/be playing the role. They are tiny in person and in pictures, but you forget about that when they're onstage. (And psh, so Glinda is a bit taller? Who cares! Cause the OBC "set the standard"? Lame.)

It's Carrie Manolakos you're thinking of. ;)

I saw her when the show was at Indy. She was FANTASTIC! I saw that she was the shorter of the two, which I thought was somewhat odd at the time. It shouldn't matter, though. It just depends on your appearance (excluding height)and vocal range.

Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:18 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Scaramouche isn't in the show Wicked, nor is it able to be performed by amateur companies yet... :-k

It's a cabaret kinda thing lol so it was a bunch of songs from a bunch of different musicals lol sorry should of explained that haha

Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:55 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

They've already complained about this on the we will rock you forum. its a cabaret there fore you can perform a couple of songs.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:37 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

"Make yourself taller!" :lol:

Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:49 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I just saw an ad for Bugarri shoes.

"Make yourself taller!" :lol:

Haha, this ad was on the bottom of the screen on this page:

Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:00 pm