The Resource For Musicals

Wicked Forum

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Favorite G(a)linda 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Location: In the woods far from civilisation (yet still with electricity? hmmm...)
Main Role: Performer
Post Favorite G(a)linda
seeing as there's a "fave elphaba" thread, i thought it'd be appropriate to have a fave glinda thread :)

personally, i think Dianne Pilkington owns the role completely (she's AMZING!!! and is so lovely and sweet), but Hilty is my fave Glinda that i haven't seen live...

what are your opinions on this???

xx

[color=#80BFFF]lalalalala![/color]
I'm BACK! [color=#8040FF]But I need to work out a picture to put here...[/color]
[size=150]Team Cathy! :D[/size]

Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:19 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

What can I say? I don't think there has ever been a Glinda quite like Helen, and I don't think there will be. Obviously opening a new production, she had to try to do something different with the role, and her first major step was to move away from the American cheerleader-Galinda and become a much more English, posh, ditzy Galinda. Her acting in Act One got this to a tee - she was hilarious without once playing to the audience. To her, she was being completely sincere in everything she did. In 'Popular', for instance, she genuinely wanted to help Elphaba, so none of it was jokes. Delivery was totally deadpan, and that worked far better than going way over the top. As Act One progressed, Glinda and Elphaba's friendship became so obvious through Helen's performance - tiny touches like physical contact and little glances really helped to cement the two together. One of my favourite things she did during the first half of the show was, during her and Elphaba's chorus of 'Defying Gravity', she started to sing the line "they'll never bring us down..." but stopped halfway through, and you could see in her face that she realised she wasn't going with Elphaba - totally heartbreaking.
In Act Two, Helen became completely regal and assumed the mantle of 'Good Witch'. Her 'Thank Goodness' was absolutely devastating, especially her interaction with Fiyero. Helen's Glinda wasn't stupid, so you could tell she wasn't really placated by his agreement to marriage, but had to go along because it's as close as she would get to happiness.
After Elphaba betrayed her, you could see that Glinda was totally destroyed, and her 'I'm Not That Girl [Reprise]' was beautiful - my favourite touch was when Helen would twist the engagement ring from her finger - oof.
During the Finale, Helen played Glinda exactly as she had at the beginning of the show - at the beginning, she was already at the end of a huge emotional journey, and for the past two hours, she had walked you through how she got there - she was completely devastated.

As for her singing - I think she was one of the vocally weaker Glindas. However, that said, I saw her on her second to last show, and she was just outstanding - she threw in some additional high notes, "riffs" and runs that sounded great. Her high notes weren't always 100%, but her belt was just top notch.

It must be noted that she was the perfect foil for Idina Menzel. You could tell they had a very close friendship offstage through their onstage chemistry; I felt they balanced each other beautifully.

Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:41 pm

Current Obsession: Shaw
Personally I'm a pretty big Alli Mauzey fan.

Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:20 pm
Profile WWW

Megan Hilty is the only one I've seen live, so naturally she will always be one of my favorites. But I've really liked what I've seen/heard of Lucy Durack and Katie Rose Clarke.

Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:34 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I saw Dianne Pilkington last night and she was amazing!

Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:48 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Just saw Katie Rose Clarke at ASU Gammage. She was very good, except that I found her version of Popular to be somewhat lacking.

Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:05 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Vocally: Lucy Scherer
Acting: Dianne Pilkington

Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:28 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I loved Helen Dallimore's Glinda, but her Galinda really didn't work for me.
So far my favourite is Megan Hilty.

Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:17 am

Personally, I think Megan Hilty is the best. Yes, people ALWAYS claim that she has stolen JLT's bits, but honestly, having seen SO many clips of JLT, I dunno how people come to this conclusion. The two are COMPLETELY different IMO. JLT is much more subdued than Hilty.

Granted, Hilty is not perfect, but I think that she has a presence unlike any other Glinda. She's spastic, but believable, and her transformation is very dynamic IMO. I know she's technically "overrated", but I love her.

Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:45 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

To be honest, I think Megan Hilty pretty much lost it by the end of her first run in LA. Her performance was like a cartoon character on the stage - she was no longer playing Glinda, more like playing Megan Hilty playing Glinda.
I feel she played too much for laughs and didn't go deep enough.

Cracker voice though. Shame she's stuck impersonating Dolly eight times a week now.

Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:18 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Wicked, Addams Family, Cats, Phantom, Les Mis

1. megan hilty- soo funny :lol:

2. dianne pilkington- funny :lol:

3. annaleigh ashford :wink:

4. jennifer laura thompson 8)

5. kendra kassebaum :P

in my opinion the worst is helen dallimore #-o she did not seem funny to me. just doesn't have enough pizazz.

Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:28 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

in my opinion the worst is helen dallimore #-o she did not seem funny to me. just doesn't have enough pizazz.

Did you ever actually see her? Trust me, she brought the chuckles and the tears.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next