The Resource For Musicals

Wicked Forum

Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Wicked The Movie. 2010 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re:
^ Interesting call- but I find the tone of WOZ and W! so different, any attempt could be haphazard.

SmallTownIngenue wrote:
Mistress wrote:
I think the main issue is that Idina wuld be too old for Shiz Elphaba regardless of how much time passes. There don't seem to be too many other viable contendors in the mix besides Lea. Maybe Lea can do the whole character, I dunno...

Exactly. And while I love Lea's voice and her acting has drastically improved from her Spring Awakening days, I just can't see her as Elphaba acting-wise, especially in Act II. Maybe give her a few years and my opinion will change.

I agree with you there Maggie, I'd much prefer to see a stronger actress, but it's not like Elphaba is much of a challenge in the acting department (if it is based on the stage show) even the most shallow interpretation couldn't be mind blowingly bad. Lea is the most obvious candidate for the role.

I agree with DisneyPrincess. Combining the popularity of the show w/ Lea could make casting an unknown or at least unknown to Hollywood as Glinda.

JUST A LITTLE BIT, JUST A LITTLE BIT

R-E-S-P-E-C-T project

Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:47 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Current Obsession: Newsies The Musical, Pilgrim
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: Wicked The Movie. 2010
Quote:
So they've started casting finally?

No. All that has been done so far is that Marc Platt and Stephen have sat down with Universal to discuss getting the movie going. http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/wicked-ready-to-cast-movie-spell-authors-meet-with-filmmakers/

Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:35 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: CATS, Charm&Smiley.
For Elphie the key is a good and solid voice with really good belting capability, everything else I dont really care but her voice needs to be extremly good.

Glinda doesnt have *that* powerfull singing in the musical so she could may be be a celeb or well known actress to give the movie a focus name.

Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:17 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Jordan Houghton as Elphaba
She is currently working in off broadway and is definately an uprising Star
Julia Griffin as Glinda
Also in Off Broadway

Both are students and from the thousands of actors I have seen I remember their names and they would be perfect for these roles!

Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:32 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Profetikus wrote:
For Elphie the key is a good and solid voice with really good belting capability, everything else I dont really care but her voice needs to be extremly good.

Glinda doesnt have *that* powerfull singing in the musical so she could may be be a celeb or well known actress to give the movie a focus name.

It is technically more difficult to sing Glinda than Elphaba. Glinda has a wider range, has to belt and sing legit. She also requires many different techniques, while Elphaba only has to belt her way through the show. Sure, belting every night requires strong technique. Belting some songs in a studio for a Movie requires little.

Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:09 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Agreed, but I still like to thinks its harder to find a celeb actor that can belt in a way to make Elphie full justice than its to find some one with the range off Glinda, but I might be wrong thou.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:48 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post WICKED: the Movie
Profetikus wrote:
Maybe it could be an idea to do both The Wizard of Oz and Wicked in a sequence and focus the earlier to fit within the Wicked universe?

So because Wicked is incompetent at managing its intertextuality, a fake original should be contrived so that Wicked actually makes sense? :crazy:

Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:36 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Why not? I mean Ive seen far worser reasons to change an original than to fit into a newer creation.

Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:29 am

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post WICKED: the Movie
Profetikus wrote:
Why not?

Because it is a ridiculous idea.

Profetikus wrote:
I mean Ive seen far worse reasons to change an original than to fit into a newer creation.

Your post is rather vague so it is hard to discern what you mean, but in this case one of the major points of the newer creation has to do with how it retells the story of the original creation from a different perspective. That is how this kind of intertextuality works. To change the original to make it fit with the newer creation renders the entire exercise meaningless, one in which ego gets in the way of true creativity - just as Stephen Schwartz and Winnie Holzman have done with Wicked.

Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:46 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

after the book and musical, a movie will be a good change and we'll see how much popular it will be. i just hope its good enough otherwise it will be loss for the movie people after the success of such a good book and a musical.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:11 am
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Writing
As long as the movie turns out decent enough, and the music and acting are great, who cares who is eventually chosen for the cast?

Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:24 pm

Current Obsession: Chess
elphieglinda16 wrote:
As long as the movie turns out decent enough, and the music and acting are great, who cares who is eventually chosen for the cast?

I would presume one would care about who is chosen for the cast for the purpose of the movie turning out decent enough. :P

Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next