The Resource For Musicals

Wicked Forum

Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Underrated/Overrated Glinda's 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I think Kendra is really good. I also know that she is an alto and i think it is cool that she would try and be a soprano to do the part. No, she can't sing as high as some but on the bright side she can hit that really low note in INTG reprise more that other Glinda's. She is really funny when she needs to be which is a big part in the role of Glinda too. She has been in Wicked off and on since 2005 and that has also given her some practice.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:01 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Ffinnegan223 wrote:
glinda is and Kendra is one of the least skilled glindas and just cuz they casted her does NOT mean that she AMAZING! it just means that maybe she "knew" someone. that happens in the professional theatre world more than not!

You can't honestly believe that. I'm actually shocked - you think she as cast in the tour and twice on Broadway because she "knew" someone?
Rubbish.

And just so I know - definte "least skilled".

she may not have known anyone that's completely possible but then again she may have... u don't know that 4 sure but i do know for sure that the professional theatre world today is more of who u know rather than how amazing u really are, it's extremely common now that some1 is cast b-cuz they know someone rather than ability.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:48 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I think the reason so many people are Chenzel fans IS the chemistry that the 2 of them had together. Maybe Idina wasn't always the best Elphie or Kristen the best Glinda, but together they had emotion that was untouched by others.

Put the "best" Elphie and "best" Glinda together and if they don't have "IT" together, it doesn't work.

In July, I saw the Chicago production, this was right after the cast had changed over to Annaleigh Ashford as Glinda. Well.. the day we saw the show, her understudy was on and she was INCREDIBLE. I'd have to go back and find the right playbill to see who it was but at the end when she sang "For Good" with Lisa Brescia she was actually crying! As long as the 2 of them have that kind of chemistry, it's a good show!

P.S. Just saw Annaleigh this past Tuesday.. she was ok.. funny... but lacked the maturity in the character for the really emotional bits.

Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:09 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Megan Hilty - she's one of my favourites but I still think she's incredibly overrated.
Annaleigh Ashford - She's a decent actress in Wicked but I don't feel she's as exceptional as people make her out to be. I find her singing lackluster.

Underrated:
Annalene Beechey - Mostly because a lot of people haven't seen her. She's great though, one of the best singing voices.
Christeena Michelle Riggs - She was good also, but again I think it's generally to do with people not seeing her.
Jennifer Laura Thompson - I feel she's kind of seen as a blackhole between Kristin and Megan and overlooked because of it. Regardless she's by far one of the best actresses to have taken on the role, she pretty much invented the whole 'funny' Glinda thing and the toss toss and isn't really given credit for it.
Stacie Morgain Lewis - This is mostly because of the slack she receives because she has a deep voice. Oh well, get over it. People moan that Dianne Pilkington puts on a voice and it's for this reason she does. Everyone who plays the role doesn't have to sound like they live in an atmosphere of helium just because the original does.

Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:38 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Underrated/Overrated Glindas
Underrated:
Dianne Pilkington. I have seen her twice in London and both times she has been excellent. She brings a more humane touch to the character and although some people find her voice really annoying, I think she is really brave to change her voice like that to suit a character. I was also lucky enough to meet her at Wicked Day and she is a really nice person, very down to earth and didn't seem to mind about having to sit through a lengthy queue of fans waiting to meet her.
Annalene Beechey. Has a much better singing voice than Dianne, and doesn't really suit the first act that well at Shiz, apart from in WITF when she mocks and teases Elphaba and in the History lesson scene when she says the line 'it's GA-LINDA, with a GA' which always has me in stitches.

Overrated:
Megan Hilty. I have never seen the show on Broadway but I've seen snippets on Youtube and she doesn't look very comfortable with her acting to the point where it can be quite painful to watch.
Kristin. Let's be honest, although she has an amazing voice and is the original Glinda, there is something about her performance in Popular that seems very staged and unnatural. I've seen her in Pushing Daisies and her acting is quite natural so what makes it different on stage?

BTW I am new to the site so if I have made any errors please let me know.

Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:45 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

What errors would you have made except for liking wicked?

Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:12 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Overrated - Megan Hilty though I love her. Kendra Kassebaum
Underrated - Jennifer Laura Thompson(Hilty ripped off everything she did) and Christina DeCicco.

Amazing Glindas - Christina DeCicco, Annaleigh Ashford

Should Have Never Been Glinda - Kate Reinders.

Christina DeCicco is in my opinion the best Glinda she completely blew me away I was in awe!

I totally agree with the fact that Christina is THE BEST Glinda. She is often forgotten and I can't understand why.

As for overrated, Kristin Chenoweth is EXTREMELY overrated and some may argue that she was perfect for the role but I think she overacts it and doesn't give Glinda that more human side. She just makes her hyper every second.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:29 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

jarrod001 wrote:
Underrated - Jennifer Laura Thompson(Hilty ripped off everything she did) and Christina DeCicco.

Christina DeCicco is in my opinion the best Glinda she completely blew me away I was in awe!

I totally agree with the fact that Christina is THE BEST Glinda. She is often forgotten and I can't understand why.

As for overrated, Kristin Chenoweth is EXTREMELY overrated and some may argue that she was perfect for the role but I think she overacts it and doesn't give Glinda that more human side. She just makes her hyper every second.

I so agree about both Christina and Kristen... i think a lot of people forget about Christina because she was only on tour for a limited time and there really aren't that many youtube vids of her and thus out of fight out mind lol but i saw her in Philly and WOW she was easily the best glinda i've ever seen...

and Kristen is sooo super liked as glinda because there are A. "people who like only the original cast and every other cast sucks ass". or B. they lke her as glinda because she is Kristen not because she is doing well as glinda...

now i love her in general i think she is so cute but she pretty much does the same thing in everything she ever does so really just plays to the audience and while thats not bad at all other glindas have proven to be better actresses... kristen is just really good at being cute and funny... Kristen is a singer before an actress...

Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:32 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

xoxdanielle18 wrote:
jarrod001 wrote:

I so agree about both Christina and Kristen... i think a lot of people forget about Christina because she was only on tour for a limited time and there really aren't that many youtube vids of her and thus out of fight out mind lol but i saw her in Philly and WOW she was easily the best glinda i've ever seen...

and Kristen is sooo super liked as glinda because there are A. "people who like only the original cast and every other cast sucks ass". or B. they lke her as glinda because she is Kristen not because she is doing well as glinda...

now i love her in general i think she is so cute but she pretty much does the same thing in everything she ever does so really just plays to the audience and while thats not bad at all other glindas have proven to be better actresses... kristen is just really good at being cute and funny... Kristen is a singer before an actress...

I saw Christina in Philly too! it was the first time I saw Wicked and her performance was AMAZING!!!

Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:06 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

I'm honestly not going to just replicate what everyone's saying, so I'll just give my thoughts:

Cheno- The first, and probably the most realistic Glinda to what Schwartz, Holtzman and Baum himself intended. If you want more details, I'll elaborate, but for now, I'm leaving it at that.

Hilty- Some of the best comedic moments from any Glinda, just a bit over the top. Some of the best vocals too, if I might add.

Reinders- Should NEVER have been Glinda. She's just atrocious in everything she does IMO. She can't sing, she's not that cute, and her acting sucks. I can't stand her.

Ashford- I might show bias since she went to my school, but, I do think she's one of the most overrated. I actually think her vocals are AWESOME, but it's her acting that leaves something to be desired IMO. Her timing seems a bit off as Glinda, but that's just me.

JLT- Probably the most remniscent, physically, of Billy Burke in the Wizard of Oz. With that said, she's also way too tall to be Glinda, given the way things have been set up in the show. Great comedic moments, however, but the voice at time is a little weak.

Okay. Done.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:13 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Cheno- The first, and probably the most realistic Glinda to what Schwartz, Holtzman and Baum himself intended. If you want more details, I'll elaborate, but for now, I'm leaving it at that.

Although interestingly, Kendra Kassebaum was closest to Maguire's vision of Glinda.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:36 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

From what I've seen/heard, Lucy Scherer seems to be one of the best.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAV_-td59nU

Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next