The Resource For Musicals

Wicked Forum

Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Underrated/Overrated Glinda's 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Overrated: Kendra(i like her but she's kinda one note through out the entire show except for popular and the worst glinda singing voice out of all of them!!), Kristen(again love her but others have proven better), JLT i was Bored to tears she is too subdued and old looking to play glinda, and Helen too old and not funny! Stacie Morgan Lewis

Luv em': MEGAN, CHRISTINA, ANNALEIGH ASHFORD, KATIE ADAMS!!!, DIANNE!!!

underrated: Katie Rose Clark, Christina (she is often forgotten),...

What a weird post - you think Kendra is "one note" (a phrase you use a lot) and the worst singer? Just because she's an alto doesn't make her any worse than the others. I'd rather hear her belt the end of Thank Goodness than some flimsy little head voice.
And complaining about age? Helen was about a year older than Dianne when she played Glinda, and JLT about two. It seems you prefer the OTT Glindas, rather than those with deeper interpretations.

Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:36 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The Los Angeles production improved 10xs when she left it. I might actually go see it now before it closes. I've never seen Erin Mackey though, so I hope she's not as annoying.

Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:53 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Ffinnegan223 wrote:
Overrated: Kendra(i like her but she's kinda one note through out the entire show except for popular and the worst glinda singing voice out of all of them!!), Kristen(again love her but others have proven better), JLT i was Bored to tears she is too subdued and old looking to play glinda, and Helen too old and not funny! Stacie Morgan Lewis

Luv em': MEGAN, CHRISTINA, ANNALEIGH ASHFORD, KATIE ADAMS!!!, DIANNE!!!

underrated: Katie Rose Clark, Christina (she is often forgotten),...

What a weird post - you think Kendra is "one note" (a phrase you use a lot) and the worst singer? Just because she's an alto doesn't make her any worse than the others. I'd rather hear her belt the end of Thank Goodness than some flimsy little head voice.
And complaining about age? Helen was about a year older than Dianne when she played Glinda, and JLT about two. It seems you prefer the OTT Glindas, rather than those with deeper interpretations.

well i didn't mean the worst singer like shes the worst singer ever i meant that she doesn't have a glinda voice she sounds like she struggles w/ it. she is the only glinda who doesn't sing the higher harmony in What is this feeling, she doesn't sing the high note at the end of thank goodness an ensemble member does that for her every nite, and yes her performance is extremely one note the only time she is ever really cute is popular and even so there have been glindas who have done it better ten fold when i watch her it eels as if her emotions never change from beginning to end and she throws almost every joke away. i have seen her 3 times and each time has proven to be so. and i have never heard the end of TG in a "flimsy little head voice" from any other glinda i have seen. and as far as the age thing goes i don't care what there real age is thats not the problem, the issue i have is they look way to old for the first half of the show. Helen and JLT may have only been a little older than Diane but the looked at least 8 years older it just didn't work. and I happen to think that megan has an extremely deep interpretation. she is the only glinda who brought me to tears, i feel her character grow up, and if ur making that judgment based solely on popular u are sadly mistaken. yeah her funny parts may be a little OTT but thats wut i love about her is she is funny in every single moment that glinda has to be funny. she doesn't throw away one joke, and she is an adult when she needs to be!

Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:10 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

well i didn't mean the worst singer like shes the worst singer ever i meant that she doesn't have a glinda voice she sounds like she struggles w/ it. she is the only glinda who doesn't sing the higher harmony in What is this feeling, she doesn't sing the high note at the end of thank goodness an ensemble member does that for her every nite, and yes her performance is extremely one note the only time she is ever really cute is popular and even so there have been glindas who have done it better ten fold when i watch her it eels as if her emotions never change from beginning to end and she throws almost every joke away. i have seen her 3 times and each time has proven to be so. and i have never heard the end of TG in a "flimsy little head voice" from any other glinda i have seen. and as far as the age thing goes i don't care what there real age is thats not the problem, the issue i have is they look way to old for the first half of the show. Helen and JLT may have only been a little older than Diane but the looked at least 8 years older it just didn't work. and I happen to think that megan has an extremely deep interpretation. she is the only glinda who brought me to tears, i feel her character grow up, and if ur making that judgment based solely on popular u are sadly mistaken. yeah her funny parts may be a little OTT but thats wut i love about her is she is funny in every single moment that glinda has to be funny. she doesn't throw away one joke, and she is an adult when she needs to be!

Of course I'm not judging based solely on 'Popular' - I'm talking about playing to the audience on every line (things like "stopitstopitstopit" or even "and I've had so many friends").
And you're again suggesting that Kendra being an alto makes her a bad Glinda - her lower range makes her sing the lower harmonies, but she can do other things most Glindas couldn't hope for - nailing the low note at the end of the "I'm Not That Girl" reprise and actually hitting the final "I couldn't be happier" with a strong chest voice.
I'm not even a Kendra fanboy, I just think it's ridiculous to dismiss her so.
I am, however, a Helen fanboy, and I don't know if you have seen her live or not, but her character arc is one of the best I have seen - she begins the show at the end of a massive journey, then draws it all back in again. By the time Act Two comes around, she's grown immesasurably.

Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:23 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Ffinnegan223 wrote:

Of course I'm not judging based solely on 'Popular' - I'm talking about playing to the audience on every line (things like "stopitstopitstopit" or even "and I've had so many friends").
And you're again suggesting that Kendra being an alto makes her a bad Glinda - her lower range makes her sing the lower harmonies, but she can do other things most Glindas couldn't hope for - nailing the low note at the end of the "I'm Not That Girl" reprise and actually hitting the final "I couldn't be happier" with a strong chest voice.
I'm not even a Kendra fanboy, I just think it's ridiculous to dismiss her so.
I am, however, a Helen fanboy, and I don't know if you have seen her live or not, but her character arc is one of the best I have seen - she begins the show at the end of a massive journey, then draws it all back in again. By the time Act Two comes around, she's grown immesasurably.

no i have never seen Helen live but i have seen an amazing quality boot of her from beginning to end. i can see why people like her i just don't really respond to her like others do. and i think she looks too old for the first act, as well as JLT but in act 2 they both look fine cuz they look like more mature women rather than college students. i don't buy that they are 18 in the beginning of the show but i do buy grown women in their 20s later in the show.

and Kate Reinders is the only glinda i have ever heard that chooses to go up the octave at the end of the i'm not that girl reprise. and i never once thought for any other glinda that it sounded bed. and i don't feel like i'm dismissing kendra completely because there other glindas i like even less and every time i have seen her, to be completely honest, i really went for the particular elphaba that was performing w/ her at the time, and i enjoyed the show as a whole but would i rather have had a different actress playing glinda? yes.

and i feel that in playing glinda ur upper register is far more important than ur lower! most of glinda's singing is higher more than lower so yes while the chesty booming voice is nice here and there it is not nearly as important as sounding polished and singing w/ ease while singing all the higher stuff for what i would guess is 70% of her singing. and the fact that a glinda can choose to go up the octave at the end of the INTG(reprise) w/o an adverse effect on the responce to a glinda's singing voice only proves that more. no1 would like or respond nicely to a glinda singing NOMTW down the octave.

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:40 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

(Sorry, I've stopped quoting because it was getting huge!)
Anyway, the part of Glinda was never intended to be a soprano role - they only put some in because Kristin Cheniweth had the range to do it - it was all going to be belting. I mean really, an actress could go the whole show and have to use 1 minute if soprano, which I would hardly call 70%. NOMTW, the end of TG and a single line in the finale.

Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:24 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

(Sorry, I've stopped quoting because it was getting huge!)
Anyway, the part of Glinda was never intended to be a soprano role - they only put some in because Kristin Cheniweth had the range to do it - it was all going to be belting. I mean really, an actress could go the whole show and have to use 1 minute if soprano, which I would hardly call 70%. NOMTW, the end of TG and a single line in the finale.

good point but at the same time, they did write the soprano into the show it's there and the fact that they weren't going to initially, doesn't mean that Kendra not being able to do it is excused. the show is the show the way it is and she can't quite meet the standards as well as other glindas. Glinda's staple has become the high soprano stuff even if 70% was an exaggeration and i just think that to be an all around fantastic glinda cute acting in popular is not enough! u need to be able to sing the really high stuff with ease. and for that matter glinda has like 4 moments in the show where she sings in an alto range everything else is soprano weather it be extra high or not. all of elphaba is in mezzo soprano glinda almost never dips below her. and glinda has high stuff all over the show it's not just those three songs...

Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:29 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

good point but at the same time, they did write the soprano into the show it's there and the fact that they weren't going to initially, doesn't mean that Kendra not being able to do it is excused. the show is the show the way it is and she can't quite meet the standards as well as other glindas. Glinda's staple has become the high soprano stuff even if 70% was an exaggeration and i just think that to be an all around fantastic glinda cute acting in popular is not enough! u need to be able to sing the really high stuff with ease. and for that matter glinda has like 4 moments in the show where she sings in an alto range everything else is soprano weather it be extra high or not. all of elphaba is in mezzo soprano glinda almost never dips below her. and glinda has high stuff all over the show it's not just those three songs...

Regardless of all that, the fact is this: there is one note in the entire show that Kendra cannot hit. The producers obviously think highly enough of her performance to cast and re-cast her in spite of that - little bit of trivia, Gregory Maguire said that Kendra fits almost exactly the image of Glinda in his head.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:08 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Ffinnegan223 wrote:

Regardless of all that, the fact is this: there is one note in the entire show that Kendra cannot hit. The producers obviously think highly enough of her performance to cast and re-cast her in spite of that - little bit of trivia, Gregory Maguire said that Kendra fits almost exactly the image of Glinda in his head.

there is one note in the whole show she can't hit but there is a plethora of notes that she struggles w/. nd just cuz the producers like her doesn't mean she is any better than others it just means the producers like her hey they casted idina nd she is one of the worst elphabas sooo regardless of how many times they she gets recast my opinion will remain as is.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:46 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

there is one note in the whole show she can't hit but there is a plethora of notes that she struggles w/. nd just cuz the producers like her doesn't mean she is any better than others it just means the producers like her hey they casted idina nd she is one of the worst elphabas sooo regardless of how many times they she gets recast my opinion will remain as is.

That's my biggest problem with a large number of Wicked fans - they come out with things like "she is one of the worst Elphabas" - no, I think what you meant to say was "she is my least favourite Elphabas". No one can say that so and so is any worse than anyone else, you just like her less.

Oh, and one more thing - Gregory Maguire? Not a producer.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:58 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Ffinnegan223 wrote:

That's my biggest problem with a large number of Wicked fans - they come out with things like "she is one of the worst Elphabas" - no, I think what you meant to say was "she is my least favourite Elphabas". No one can say that so and so is any worse than anyone else, you just like her less.

Oh, and one more thing - Gregory Maguire? Not a producer.

I don't care about GM's opinion of Kendra. and yes Idina is one of the worst elphabas and i like her less than others because of that. her vocals are harsh, forced, and painful, and her acting leaves much to be desired. ... that makes her the worst not just my least favorite, because she's not my least favorite Cassie lisa and Jennifer are! i just feel that idina has the worst vocals, but i do prefer her to some others but not many... but thats not the point of this topic! glinda is and Kendra is one of the least skilled glindas and just cuz they casted her does NOT mean that she AMAZING! it just means that maybe she "knew" someone. that happens in the professional theatre world more than not!

Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:11 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

glinda is and Kendra is one of the least skilled glindas and just cuz they casted her does NOT mean that she AMAZING! it just means that maybe she "knew" someone. that happens in the professional theatre world more than not!

You can't honestly believe that. I'm actually shocked - you think she as cast in the tour and twice on Broadway because she "knew" someone?
Rubbish.

And just so I know - definte "least skilled".

Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next