The Resource For Musicals

Wicked Forum

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Elphaba and Fiyero. How did they pull off the ending? 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
I think Dickens' message in A Christmas Carol, for example, is quite obvious. He was sending a message to the general population. But if you're saying he never intended for sophisticates to analyze it then I completely agree.

Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:39 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Post-Modern Literature
Okay, I've only seen Wicked once, so sometimes I don't actually remember the whole plot of it.

So the lion, who is actually a lion, the tinman, Boq, and the scarecrow, Fiyero, are all trying to get to the Wizard, right?
Why does Fiyero go see the wizard? He doesn't think he has a brain really, but then sends notes to Elphaba, then calls her evil in front of Dorothy? Why does he think he's brainless? If he still loves Elphaba, why would he think she took his brain from him?
And he couldn't just be playing along to see Dorothy kill the witch, how would he know the Wizard's task for granting the wishes be to kill her?
Or was it once he talked to the wizard and they decided to go to Elphaba's castle, that Fiyero decided he really loved Elphaba? But why would he do that?
And, I don't quite remember Boq's entire story. So he had to be made into tin because of something Nessarose did, right? But then why wouldn't he be mad at her and not greatful for Elphaba saving his life? Why doesn't he know that? And how did he end up in the woods were Dorothy found him? And wasn't he supposedly like that for years? Or maybe it was years?

And I've always thought it was really wierd that the people that really needed something from the wizard because of Elphaba were the only people that Dorothy ran into... does that make sense? Like I'm sure there are other people/animals in Oz that need things and don't like Elphaba, why does Dorothy have to run into people that actually know her personally?

So I don't know how many of those questions are actually answered in the show, but like I said, its been awhile since I've seen it. And I found this thread interesting and it just brought up these questions again.

Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:25 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Wicked, Addams Family, Cats, Phantom, Les Mis
Main Role: Performer
Okay, I've only seen Wicked once, so sometimes I don't actually remember the whole plot of it.

So the lion, who is actually a lion, the tinman, Boq, and the scarecrow, Fiyero, are all trying to get to the Wizard, right?
Why does Fiyero go see the wizard? He doesn't think he has a brain really, but then sends notes to Elphaba, then calls her evil in front of Dorothy? Why does he think he's brainless? If he still loves Elphaba, why would he think she took his brain from him?
And he couldn't just be playing along to see Dorothy kill the witch, how would he know the Wizard's task for granting the wishes be to kill her?
Or was it once he talked to the wizard and they decided to go to Elphaba's castle, that Fiyero decided he really loved Elphaba? But why would he do that?
And, I don't quite remember Boq's entire story. So he had to be made into tin because of something Nessarose did, right? But then why wouldn't he be mad at her and not greatful for Elphaba saving his life? Why doesn't he know that? And how did he end up in the woods were Dorothy found him? And wasn't he supposedly like that for years? Or maybe it was years?

And I've always thought it was really wierd that the people that really needed something from the wizard because of Elphaba were the only people that Dorothy ran into... does that make sense? Like I'm sure there are other people/animals in Oz that need things and don't like Elphaba, why does Dorothy have to run into people that actually know her personally?

So I don't know how many of those questions are actually answered in the show, but like I said, its been awhile since I've seen it. And I found this thread interesting and it just brought up these questions again.

boq actually had his heart shrunk by nessa. in an attempt to save him, elphaba turns him into tin. when boq relizes that he had been turned into tin, nessa says that it was elphaba fault he became this way. thus enraging him, forgetting that nessa is actually to blame.

that's all i can anwser right now. does that clear a few things up christinadaae?

Narwhal, Whale Sharks, and Zebras OH MY

Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:01 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:32 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'll try and help with punctuation and capital letters.

christinadaae wrote:

There is no answer to this - it's a large plot hole that one is meant to conveniently ignore.

Quote:
And, I don't quite remember Boq's entire story. So he had to be made into tin because of something Nessarose did, right? But then why wouldn't he be mad at her and not greatful for Elphaba saving his life? Why doesn't he know that?

Nessa made Boq her servant. He tried to leave her to go and express his love for Glinda. Nessa wasn't having any of it, so she grabbed Elphaba's spellbook and did some crazy chanting to make Boq "lose his heart" to her. She did it wrong, and he actually lost his heart - it disappeared. In order to keep him alive, Elphaba turned him into tin, so that he wouldn't need a heart. When he regained consciousness after his ordeal, Nessa convinced him Elphaba turned him into tin because she's wicked, not to help him.

Quote:
And how did he end up in the woods were Dorothy found him? And wasn't he supposedly like that for years? Or maybe it was years?

Plot hole!

Quote:

Well I think you could say that of any story - certain coincidences are necessary for a plot to happen.

Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

^ And that is the reason that Wicked can never again be called a great musical.

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:08 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3