The Resource For Musicals



Wicked Forum


Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Wicked: the novel or the musical? 
Author Message
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:31 pm
Posts: 30
Post Re: Wicked: the novel or the musical?
Felix Felicis wrote:
Ulkis wrote:
At least Wicked the musical stays consistent with the movie.

No it doesn't.


Not disagreeing, but how is it different? I dont really like Wizard of Oz movie so even though I loved Wicked the musical, I could not be bothered to watch Wizard of Oz again.

I will say even though I did enjoy the novel which i felt wasnt that hard a read, (even if it was a bit convoluted) I prefer the stage show, which if you see a few times you come to realise it has a lot more depth than when first watched. When it first opened in Melbourne I saw it filled with hype expecting this Broadway extravaganza that had finally made its way to Oz to be as good as all it was cracked up to be. I had heard several songs (not all) and had loved them and was real excited, but when I saw the show I felt it was rather superficial and skimmed over everything. The shows original saving grace for me at first was its stella cast, headed by two unknwon talents, who were both astoundingly good, as well as one of Musical theatre's all time greatest performers, Rob Guest. It was Guest that drew me to see it a second time, and the second time I saw a whole lot more, and understood a lot more of the nuiances of the show. and then unexpectedly Guest passed away at 57, and so my attention went more onto the leading ladies and the depth of the relationship between the two Witches was so touching.

However the novel which i read after having seen the show actually drew me in. especially the prologue got me. It was like reading a painting it gave me such a clear strong image! and one of the most touching moments I have read in literature was in that book. That last time Glinda and Elphaba see each other in the novel broke my heart, and although the circumstances and build up to it and the entirety of the scene is different in the stage show, I felt that that moment in the musical did the book absolute justice. and I cannot speak for all versions of the musical, but the Australian cast definitely gave the book justice. the very end of the show was so tragic it matched the novel, except in the stage show in Australia it was Glinda that was breaking your heart, with the anguish she was going through because she believed her friend was dead, knew she was inocent and was unable to defend her to the masses. Lucy durack was phenomenal. She broke my heart the same way the book did.

both were enjoyable, but I do pick the musical! Its set is great and so is the costuming, the music was fantastic all the way through, and Australian cast unbeatable!


Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:29 am
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:56 am
Posts: 1948
Post Re: Wicked: the novel or the musical?
drbuc wrote:
Felix Felicis wrote:
Ulkis wrote:
At least Wicked the musical stays consistent with the movie.

No it doesn't.


Not disagreeing, but how is it different? I dont really like Wizard of Oz movie so even though I loved Wicked the musical, I could not be bothered to watch Wizard of Oz again.

For example, the scarecrow is set on fire in the film, while on stage Fiyero is nowhere around. Another would be Elphaba's appearance in the Munchkinland - in the film, she harasses Dorothy, while in the show she only arrives afterwards.

_________________
Nick


Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:06 am
Profile
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:31 pm
Posts: 30
Post Re: Wicked: the novel or the musical?
Felix Felicis wrote:
drbuc wrote:

Not disagreeing, but how is it different? I dont really like Wizard of Oz movie so even though I loved Wicked the musical, I could not be bothered to watch Wizard of Oz again.

For example, the scarecrow is set on fire in the film, while on stage Fiyero is nowhere around. Another would be Elphaba's appearance in the Munchkinland - in the film, she harasses Dorothy, while in the show she only arrives afterwards.


I would say that the scarecrow one is debateable, as that whole section is flown over and is just a stylized sillouette of that section of the movie. I agree with the Munchkinland part.

I actually agree that it is a bit inconsistent, as the Tinman's story is quite different between the musical and the film.


Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:04 am
Profile
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:17 pm
Posts: 2635
Location: Nowhere
Current Obsession: Writing
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: Wicked: the novel or the musical?
drbuc wrote:
Felix Felicis wrote:
drbuc wrote:

Not disagreeing, but how is it different? I dont really like Wizard of Oz movie so even though I loved Wicked the musical, I could not be bothered to watch Wizard of Oz again.

For example, the scarecrow is set on fire in the film, while on stage Fiyero is nowhere around. Another would be Elphaba's appearance in the Munchkinland - in the film, she harasses Dorothy, while in the show she only arrives afterwards.


I would say that the scarecrow one is debateable, as that whole section is flown over and is just a stylized sillouette of that section of the movie. I agree with the Munchkinland part.

I actually agree that it is a bit inconsistent, as the Tinman's story is quite different between the musical and the film.


That is true, but who ever said that it would be perfectly in synch with the movie? I bet Titanic had some changes made from screen to stage. Oh...wait...that just sounded completely off topic. Forget I said that.


Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:45 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:56 am
Posts: 1948
Post Re: Wicked: the novel or the musical?
elphieglinda16 wrote:
That is true, but who ever said that it would be perfectly in synch with the movie? I bet Titanic had some changes made from screen to stage. Oh...wait...that just sounded completely off topic. Forget I said that.

Titanic wasn't an adaptation of the film.

_________________
Nick


Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:17 am
Profile
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:17 pm
Posts: 2635
Location: Nowhere
Current Obsession: Writing
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: Wicked: the novel or the musical?
Uh...yeah I have no idea what I just said anyway so you can ignore that... #-o


Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:22 am
Profile
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:46 pm
Posts: 10
Location: London
Post Re: Wicked: the novel or the musical?
well, i like both the novel and the musical as i ve read the book and have seen the musical. the book gives you a good reading time and musical turns it into real objects. and unlike some movies, if you have read the book and then watch the show or vice versa, you will love it even better.


Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:49 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.