The Resource For Musicals

Other Current Broadway & West End Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Fun Home 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Hedwig And The Angry Inch
Post Fun Home
Hi! I live in New Zealand, so I can't see Fun Home but I'm obsessed with the soundtrack. I needed a coming-out/coming-of-age family tragicomedy in my life, like seriously. Anyone who's seen it, or heard the soundtrack, what's your favorite song from it and why? Mine is Ring Of Keys because I relate so deeply to that little girl (I'm 12), and it's so unique! Two other songs that I love: Telephone Wire (poignant, real, emotional) and Come To The Fun Home (hilarious, gets stuck in my head constantly) :-({|=

Perfection! :)

Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:07 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Les Mis, My Fair Lady
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: Fun Home
Caked wrote:
Hi! I live in New Zealand, so I can't see Fun Home but I'm obsessed with the soundtrack. I needed a coming-out/coming-of-age family tragicomedy in my life, like seriously. Anyone who's seen it, or heard the soundtrack, what's your favorite song from it and why? Mine is Ring Of Keys because I relate so deeply to that little girl (I'm 12), and it's so unique! Two other songs that I love: Telephone Wire (poignant, real, emotional) and Come To The Fun Home (hilarious, gets stuck in my head constantly) :-({|=

Fun Home? I'll have to check it out!

Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:58 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

It's amazing, trust me. But if you are anti-gay then in that case... well, that would be awkward. ](*,)

Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:05 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

So… if you haven’t heard, there’s a new coming of age/coming out musical on Broadway right now called Fun Home. I don’t live where I can see it, but, man, I am obsessed with the soundtrack. Let me tell you why.

First off, it’s a tragicomedy. But it’s not all over the place. The humour is hilarious (this is called an aneurysm hook sung by a little kid) , and the dramatic, depressing moments are amazing. Everything feels real, and not stereotypical.

Maybe the reason why it feels so real is because it’s based off of Alison Becedel’s graphic novel of the same name. Admittedly I haven’t read it, but it sounds like a masterpiece in it’s own right.

The best thing is that Fun Home follows Alison through three stages of her life- Little Alison (little kid who feels uncomfortable in a dress, not living up to what her father thinks a girl should act/look like), Young Alison (uni student discovering her sexuality), and Alison (fully grown adult, acts as a narrator). I also love how it focuses on her relationship with her father.

Her relationship with her father is quite interesting. He pushes Little Alison to be more feminine, but eventually he disovers that he’s gay. He lives in denial, and his interactions with Young Alison are difficult to say the least, causing heartbreak for both of them. This was expressed in a beautifully real and emotional song, Telephone Wire.

As for the soundtrack itself, it’s awesome. It includes snippets of dialogue so that you’re not confused. Highly recommend to those who can’t go see it for any reason.

Fun Home is my obsession. And now you know why.

This is my full review of it, if you want to read it. TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT! :)

Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]