The Resource For Musicals



Other Current Broadway & West End Shows Forum


Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
In The Heights At High school? 
Author Message
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:39 pm
Posts: 6
Current Obsession: Show: Next To Normal Song: I'm Alive
Main Role: Performer
Post In The Heights At High school?
We are doing In The Heights for A Musical at my school. well, it has been suggested. the only thing im kinda confused with is that some songs are in spanish but the kids in drama club etc. is a majority of black students. Does this Sound Like a Good Idea? I Mean I Want To Do It Soooo Bad But It Sounds Weird To Me.


Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:57 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 1:30 pm
Posts: 2083
Location: United Kingdom
Post Re: In The Heights At High school?
katemonster wrote:
the only thing im kinda confused with is that some songs are in spanish but the kids in drama club etc. is a majority of black students.

I must admit I'm somewhat confused by this sentence. Ethnicity is hardly a prerequisite for learning a language.

As for whether it can be done as a school show, one must answer the usual questions of whether the rights are available and, if so, how one goes about acquiring those rights.

_________________
MDN Superlatives 2011: 'Most Improved Singer' and 'Most Likely to Become President' (tie)

Image


Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:46 am
Profile
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:44 pm
Posts: 2758
Location: North Carolina
Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: In The Heights At High school?
random_person wrote:
katemonster wrote:
the only thing im kinda confused with is that some songs are in spanish but the kids in drama club etc. is a majority of black students.

I must admit I'm somewhat confused by this sentence. Ethnicity is hardly a prerequisite for learning a language.


That's true, but In the Heights is about Puerto Rican, Dominican, and in the case of Benny, African-American, characters. If a company does not have actors that can believably play these groups it should not produce the show.

_________________
Image


Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:23 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 1:30 pm
Posts: 2083
Location: United Kingdom
Post Re: In The Heights At High school?
ActingDude17 wrote:
random_person wrote:
katemonster wrote:
the only thing im kinda confused with is that some songs are in spanish but the kids in drama club etc. is a majority of black students.

I must admit I'm somewhat confused by this sentence. Ethnicity is hardly a prerequisite for learning a language.


That's true, but In the Heights is about Puerto Rican, Dominican, and in the case of Benny, African-American, characters. If a company does not have actors that can believably play these groups it should not produce the show.


Indeed, but if what the original poster wished to address is the problem of casting 'colour blind' rather than the obstacle of language, unless it is essential for a character to be of a particular demographic (for example, Benny, as you say), it should not matter. I admit that as I have not myself seen In the Heights, I cannot personally judge how much of the cast needs to be of a particular ethnicity, I nonetheless cannot imagine there being too much of a barrier in light of how people such as myself from the Spanish-speaking Americas certainly do not all fit the popular image of 'tanned skin, brown eyes and black hair'. There are South Americans who are as light skinned as 'white European' people, as well as South Americans of black African ancestry. As such, if a character simply needs to have a Latin American background, but it is not specified whether he corresponds to a traditional racial category, physical appearance should not present a significant problem.

_________________
MDN Superlatives 2011: 'Most Improved Singer' and 'Most Likely to Become President' (tie)

Image


Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:27 pm
Profile
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:39 pm
Posts: 6
Current Obsession: Show: Next To Normal Song: I'm Alive
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: In The Heights At High school?
:shock: All I was saying is that it doesn't sound that believable because there are some songs in spanish, not saying it was a race thing. the license will be out during my senior year.


Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:23 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 1:30 pm
Posts: 2083
Location: United Kingdom
Post Re: In The Heights At High school?
katemonster wrote:
:shock: All I was saying is that it doesn't sound that believable because there are some songs in spanish, not saying it was a race thing. the license will be out during my senior year.

Very well, although if it is purely a matter of language, I remain confused as to why you brought up ethnicity in relation to it at all.

_________________
MDN Superlatives 2011: 'Most Improved Singer' and 'Most Likely to Become President' (tie)

Image


Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:28 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ] 



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.