The Resource For Musicals

Other Current Broadway & West End Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Worth the move? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Worth the move?
I've been thinking about this alot lately. BEAUTY AND THE BEAST opened at the Palace Theater, then moved the Lunt-Fontanne to make room for AIDA. Then THE LION KING opened at the New Amsterdam Theater, then moved to the Minskoff to make room for MARY POPPINS. Both Aida and Poppins are enjoyable (though deeply flawed) shows, but at the end of the day, were they worth booting two successful shows out of their respective theaters?

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sun May 20, 2012 5:51 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Worth the move?
I don't know. But it makes sense that when Disney comes out with their latest new, shiny, would-be cash-cow show, they should want it to play in one of the bigger, fancier and more famous theaters. And I assume they felt secure in the knowledge that BATB and TLK were already mega-hits and would still draw the crowds even in smaller, lesser theaters.

It's not only Disney that does that either. Cameron Mackintosh has done it too: "Les Mis" opened at the Broadway Theatre, but was moved to the smaller Imperial Theatre to make room for "Miss Saigon."

Sun May 20, 2012 6:20 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Aida is far from enjoyable. its probably the single worst Broadway show i've ever seen. thank god I didnt pay for the tickets.

Mon May 21, 2012 6:33 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'm sure this was brought up before, but it would have made more sense to keep BATB at the Lunt-Fontanne and have THE LITTLE MERMAID move into the Richard Rodgers where TARZAN had just recently closed.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sat May 26, 2012 3:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]