The Resource For Musicals

Other Current Broadway & West End Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Ghost the Musical 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Ghost the Musical
I saw the show in London and on Broadway. I cannot recommend it enough. The chemistry between the two leads is just palpable. The special effects are pretty phenomenal. And it's got a really strong story that lends itself well to a musical - the height of emotion... The score holds its own, I love Sam's "I Had a Life" might own me a little right now.

Bring tissues.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:34 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Ghost the musical is one of the worst shows I have ever seen. Sure the casts I have seen were talented, but with 3 people on the sound every evening, it's doomed from the word go. The sound design was so loud that I had to sit through the entire show with my fingers stuck in my ears. I remembered the horrible design the second time I saw the show, so I brought some ear plugs.

The problem with Ghost is that while the story is interesting, and some of the music is cool it doesn't fit together. Ghost is a musical in the "why musical?" category, because I really don't understand why it should be a musical, especially when most of the music does nothing for the piece. The best examples must be Molly's two big solo numbers: "With You" and "Nothing Stops Another Day". The latter just being a summary of everything we've seen so far, really? They thought the audience would pay so little attention that we needed a recap? Then we have the former, "With You". We have just spent an entire act watching how Molly deals with Sam not saying the words "I Love You" and his death, and we get that she's upset, but this sappy ballad takes it too far. With crappy lyrics like: "All this wishful thinking gets me nowhere I can't stay." What is that supposed to mean?

So whether vacationing in New York or London, I wouldn't put this musical on my "to-see-list", because there are a lot of better shows out there.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:19 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I would say that With You is one of the most beautiful ballads of the past few years, actually. I'm surprised you consider it a lowlight, I think it's far and away the best song in the score. It was what drew me to see the show in the first place.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:05 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Not everyone is going to be exited or impress by this show, regardless of the talent of the cast or how loud the music may have been. What we must all bear in mind is that it s a beautiful love story.

Mon May 14, 2012 12:09 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Ghost The Musical
Ghost - the thing is I think that the designers have tried too hard to inject the 'New York' setting to the play - i.e too many generic projections of yellow taxi cabs or similarly typical NY images. It just seems a bit 2D. That said, I do think the ghost like special effects are awesome.

The musical itself is okay but the songs (except for unchained melody which I loved!) just seem a bit samey.

I don't think I am the only one who has found this show just a bit flat/ a bit of a let down?

The reviews seem to suggest mixed opinions (http://www.ghostthemusicallondon.com/reviews/).

Did anyone see that Beyonce recently saw Ghost on Broadway?

Tue May 15, 2012 7:51 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Well Ghost closed on Broadway. But I thought it was an excellent show while it was here. I really enjoyed it.

I couldn't believe how bad they got snubbed at the Tony's. The score DEFINITELY deserved a nomination. They nominated two plays for best score and left Ghost out. What is that? I also was surprised they didn't receive a Best Musical nom, and I thought Cassie Levy's work was definitely worthy of a nomination.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:57 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
i'm_back wrote:
Well Ghost closed on Broadway. But I thought it was an excellent show while it was here. I really enjoyed it.

I couldn't believe how bad they got snubbed at the Tony's. The score DEFINITELY deserved a nomination. They nominated two plays for best score and left Ghost out. What is that? I also was surprised they didn't receive a Best Musical nom, and I thought Cassie Levy's work was definitely worthy of a nomination.

The score did not deserve a nomination. One can hardly call the pop-trash that is ghost theatre music. Ghost's score depends to much on a brilliant sound design (something the London production lacks, which makes the music unbearable live.) I can agree that on recording the show sound wonderful, but it doesn't work in the theatre. I think the choice to leave it out was a great way to show that Broadway doesn't take anything, and for once they put their foot down to say no to the new pop invasion.

They did in now way deserve best musical nomination. The score is weak, and the many songs are of little use, like With You and the second act solo that they clearly put their to let their lead have another generic song.

Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2