The Resource For Musicals

Other Current Broadway & West End Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Theatre geek to visit London again 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Theatre geek to visit London again
Hi, Everyone

I'm Kris, and I'm a huge musical theatre nut. My background, as briefly as I can: Grew up just outside Manhattan in a little town in New Jersey, surrounded by a family slightly more inclined toward music than your average person. My family just never did anything to pursue their passion (my mother played the vioin, my grandfather played the piano, my uncle played the guitar), at least not professionally. I went to school for theatre, but discovered my passion was more backstage (stage managing was stressful fun!).

I pursued theatre until the money ran out, and I had to get a "real job." I now work in an office, your typical 9 to 5, just to pay for my next set of show tickets.

I average seeing a show a month (maybe 2 if I can find less expensive seats). I've seen many of the shows on Broadway now, some multiple times. I'm just not as current as I'd like to be (only managed a few of the new musicals from this season).

I've been to London once before in 2007, and I saw Wicked and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. (I was only there for 3 days, so I think I did well enough.) I'm heading back in September, and wanted to find out recommendations/what's good/must-see.

My one definite during my 7 days is Legally Blonde, just to see Lee Mead. Abolutely adored him to pieces in Joseph, so have to see what he's like in Legally Blonde. (Not one of my faves when I saw it on Broadway, but not completely unwatchable/unlistenable (?) I certainly would've chosen to see him as Fiyero in Wicked, but the schedule was not meant to be.

So what'd you got for me? At the moment I'm leaning towards Wizard of Oz (for the production value), Shrek (missed it on Broadway), Ghost (not on Broadway yet - anyone know if they plan to move it here?), and Priscilla (haven't seen it here yet, but would like to do another comparison for when I do).

I do see plays on occasion, just prefer musicals. Look forward to responses!

Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:42 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Bare, Next to Normal
Post Re: Theatre geek to visit London again
I would recommend Ghost the musical. It's had great reviews about it and the score is very well done. http://www.ghostthemusical.com. With the way things are going, I think it could definitely come to Broadway eventually.

If you would like to see a show that won't be on Broadway and you're interested in it, I would see Love Never Dies (the sequel to Phantom of the Opera). That will not be coming to Broadway.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]