The Resource For Musicals

Other Current Broadway & West End Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Broadway Musicals Opening in Spring 2011 

Spring 2011: about which musical's opening are you most enthusiastic?
THE BOOK OF MORMON 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING 20%  20%  [ 6 ]
PRISCILLA, QUEEN OF THE DESERT 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
CATCH ME IF YOU CAN 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
ANYTHING GOES 37%  37%  [ 11 ]
WONDERLAND: A NEW ALICE 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
SISTER ACT 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
THE PEOPLE IN THE PICTURE 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 30

Broadway Musicals Opening in Spring 2011 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Broadway Musicals Opening in Spring 2011
At the moment, there are 8 musicals set to open on Broadway in spring 2011. To one are you most looking forward? About which are you most intrigued? Which do you think will succeed? Which do you think will fail? Thoughts please...

Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:25 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Parade
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Broadway Musicals Opening in Spring 2011
The Book Of Mormon- I think this one might turn out to be a sleeper hit, but I don't know if the source material is particularly strong. There's been another musical based on a (albeit prolonged) comedy sketch, and that's Spamalot. Sure, it was outrageously successful with audiences and at award time, but I feel it wasn't particularly well-crafted and became far too episodic for a cohesive musical, which might be 'Mormon's problem. But who knows? Maybe I'm wrong.

How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying- This is such a weird vehicle for Daniel Radcliffe. Well, maybe not as weird as Equus, but still... I'm not too optimistic about this. I'm worried about the star casting, because Radcliffe is relatively untested in the world of musical theatre, and I don't know if people are ready for another Loesser revival after Guys And Dolls did so badly the last time around. And I feel the motives for mounting such a revival are skewed; What new and innovative angles can be wrung from this already well-known show?

Priscilla, Queen Of the Desert- This show is already getting messianic reviews here in Toronto. What's a success here is not always a success on Broadway, but I think the feel-good vibe of the production and the well-known songs in it could make it the next Mamma Mia!

Catch Me If You Can- Feeling good about this project, if only because it stars Aaron Tveit and Norbert Leo Butz, and is taking place in the theatre that once was appropriated for Love Never Dies... :twisted:

Anything Goes- Here's a star vehicle that will work without a shadow of a doubt. I know I already want any cast album that comes from this production, and the creative team behind this is looking promising. Plus, Sutton Foster just looks sensational as Reno Sweeney.

Wonderland: A New Alice- FLOP. PLEASE JUST FLOP.

Sister Act- I don't understand Disney's thought process. Why make a musical from scratch when one already has about ten thousand musical properties ready and waiting to be staged, or are already staged, but rotting somewhere in Germany?? I've heard that Sister Act is good, but I think it's unnecessary competition against another Gospel-flavoured Menken musical, Leap Of Faith, which seems equally erroneous to me (depsite Raul Esparza). Will there be some sort of Christian Revivalist death match this season? Or will these two shows simply divide audiences and cancel themselves out? Only time will tell.

People In The Picture- I don't know that much about this musical, apart from the fact that it isn't based off of a secondary source (!), and stars Donna Murphy. So I'm very intrigued. It has something these other shows do not; a sense of ingenuity, mystery, and originality that piques the interest. I reserve my judgement.

As an aside, does anyone know if Bonnie And Clyde is set for a Broadway run? Because if it's being delayed in favour of the inferior Wildhorn show Wonderland, I may flip my lid.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:21 am
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
Main Role: Performer
ANYTHING GOES \:D/

Seriously, this is the first time a Broadway pipe dream I've had actually happened. A couple of years ago, I said in a MdN group chat, "HEY! Wouldn't it be cool if Sutton Foster played Reno Sweeney!?!" And everyone was like "YEAH except it'll never happen." And I was like "Yeah, I know."
And it did happen!
It's a Christmas miracle!

Anyway, I'm excited for that. :D

Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:05 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Billy Bigelow
Main Role: Director
Catch Me If You Can. I don't know too much about all of them, but from what I've heard from this one, I'm pretty excited.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:07 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

THE BOOK OF MORMON
PRISCILLA, QUEEN OF THE DESERT
CATCH ME IF YOU CAN
ANYTHING GOES
WONDERLAND: A NEW ALICE

I'd actually be a bit interested in all of these, for one reason or another, even if it is the trainwreck capacity, but I voted for Anything Goes. Can't wait to see this one; I think out of them all, it's got the most potential/guarantee-factor.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:04 pm

AKate Shindle looks HOT in the press photo released of her. And her voice ain't bad either.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Post Broadway Musicals Opening in Spring 2011
And here we are, already into Spring with some of the musicals listed above open and others in previews... and others till to come, of course. The buzz about these shows has been pretty slow around here...

Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:05 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Main Role: Fan
I'd really like to see How to Succeed but am no where near New York and have no plans on getting there. :(

Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:20 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Next To Normal; Kerrigan and Lowdermilk
Hi..this is my first post!!!!

And what a good place to start.

I am excited about: Catch me if you can, and Wonderland, I have a feeling these are the two to watch, although Book of Mormon got great reviews. Anything Goes would be fab, mainly, in my opinion, because of Sutton Foster. And seeing Radcliffe in a musical role would be intriguing.

Just a few thoughts, the first of many!! :)

Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:06 pm
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Current Obsession: Newsies The Musical, Pilgrim
Quote:
Why make a musical from scratch when one already has about ten thousand musical properties ready and waiting to be staged, or are already staged, but rotting somewhere in Germany??

Who knows? And don't expect Hunchback to come next either. Of all the projects they could do, they are creating a musical out of Dumbo. (facepalm) ](*,)

Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:42 pm

Canadian Drama Geek wrote:
Sister Act- I don't understand Disney's thought process. Why make a musical from scratch when one already has about ten thousand musical properties ready and waiting to be staged, or are already staged, but rotting somewhere in Germany??

You do realise that the Disney Theatrical Group isn't the driving force behind Sister Act, right? Stage Entertainment and Whoopi Goldberg at the top of the list and the Disney Theatrical Group is riding on their tailcoats on this production, as it were. It's not one of their primary concerns in the way that Beauty and the Beast and so on were and in the way that The Hunchback of Notre Dame should be. What's really been taking up the Disney Theatrical Group's ficus recently is the development of Newsies and Aladdin and the thought process there is clear: those are the properties that they perceive have the best potential to earn them much more money through school and community theatre productions.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
My vote from the get-go before, during, and after its success has been The Book of Mormon. I've wanted Trey Parker and Matt Stone to write for theater ever since I saw South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut, which no less a theater legend than Stephen Sondheim acclaimed as the best musical he had seen in 15 years. Cannibal! was another project which really showed their potential for theater. When I saw the "Mormon" episode of South Park, I must admit I wondered if the musical would fall along similar lines, but was pleasantly surprised that not only did they have more things to say, but very funny, irreverent (to say the least), and indeed awesome things to say, and they weren't half-bad at a storyline longer than a half-hour either. I give it two thumbs up! :mrgreen:

Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:22 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]