The Resource For Musicals

Other Current Broadway & West End Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
"Book of Mormon" to open on Broadway 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
Post Re: "Book of Mormon" to open on Broadway
As someone who is a geek about the orchestrations for Wicked, I had to go listen to You and Me... I concur- most definitely "Defying Gravity". The music between the intro and 1st verse is like the music right before Elphaba sings "So if you care to find me...". BOM's 'something incredible...' bridge/part of that song sounds like the "unlimited, together we're unlimited" of DG. The transition from the bridge (after 'blows God's freakin' mind') into the last verse again is like the end of DG going into "so if you care to find me..." the guitar patterns are ( I think?) identical! I don't know music theory but the chord progressions sond very similar through to the end, and of course the big money note at the end. :) Very Wicked-y in general (but mostly Defying Gravity, lol)
I've decided I need to buy the CR. And see it if possible.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:30 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I've been listening to the sound track and like it's been said

"I Believe" sounds like I Have Confidence (Sound of Music)
"Hasa Diga Eegowai" parodies Hakuna Matata (The Lion King)
"You And Me (But Mostly Me)" sounds like Wicked in general
"Sal Tlay Ka Siti" actually does sound like "Somewhere That's Green" from Little Shop of Horrors

But I've also gotten

"All American Prophet" has got bits of "Ya Got Trouble" from Music Man
"Joseph Smith American Moses" is totally a direct parody of "The Small House of Uncle Thomas" from The King and I.

Also some of "Tomorrow Is A Latter Day" sounds like "You Can't Stop the Beat" from Hairspray

"Spooky Mormon Hell Dream" sounds like it could be from Jesus Christ Superstar

But when I listen to the other songs in the show I feel like they all have things that sound familiar but I can't place them all.

MdNs Most Likely to Become President (Superlatives ''''09)
Whatever that means???

I''VE ALWAYS BEEN A CHICAGO GIRL!!

Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
Main Role: Performer
I love "Hasa Diga Eebowai" so much and I hate that I love it so much. Personally, I don't think I'll ever be driven to use the phrase (in English or Ugandan) but I totally get why the Ugandans would use it. They WERE kind of crapped on by the universe.
But HOLY CRAP it's so catchy!

Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:38 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It's actually not a real phrase. Trey Parker said that they made sure Hasa Diga Ebowai didn't mean anything so if the musical was ever put on TV or made into a movie, they wouldn't need to edit out the title of a song.

Also, English is one of the two official languages of Uganda (the other being Swahili), so they could've easily been complaining in English.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:04 pm

Trololo ignore me. Of course it's not real phrase.
Either way, it works for the characters, I guess.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:40 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Based on the cast recording, I like it very much.

Granted, it has its share of one joke songs that go nowhere, and it has some seriously offensive rhymes, like "together/forever" and "island/try and". Because of such, I don't think it ranks with the best overall, but it's probably one of the best musicals from the last one or two decades.

I think Turn it off is the best song, although the idea is not very original (it reminds me of Tap your troubles away from Mack and Mabel, but is funner).

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:48 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Fan
TylerMcMahon wrote:
I"Joseph Smith American Moses" is totally a direct parody of "The Small House of Uncle Thomas" from The King and I.

But isn't it also a direct hit on Once on this Island's "The Sad Tale of the Beauxhommes"?

Granted, considering how many references the show has....

Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:23 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Hans wrote:

Granted, it has its share of one joke songs that go nowhere, and it has some seriously offensive rhymes, like "together/forever" and "island/try and". Because of such, I don't think it ranks with the best overall, but it's probably one of the best musicals from the last one or two decades.

I think Turn it off is the best song, although the idea is not very original (it reminds me of Tap your troubles away from Mack and Mabel, but is funner).

It seems to me after several listens that the entire score of Book of Mormon parodies other musical theatre songs. Hello sounds like Telephone Hour and another song which I for the likes of me can't recall. You and Me (But Mostly Me) sounds like Defying Gravity and The Wizard and I, using the same chord progressions and thematics both in lyrics and music. Hasa Diga Eebowai parodies Hakuna Matata in lyrics, and has musical themes that matches He Lives In You's intro and the chorus of Under the Sea. Salt Lay Ka Citi sounds like Somewhere That's Green dealing with the same thematics. When the lyrics are reprised in the act one finale it sounds like A New World. I Believe's verses sounds like I Have Confidence and has much of the same thematics. Joseph Smith The American Prophet is similar in style to The House of Uncle Thomas and of course the Finale which sounds like You Can't Stop the Beat and shares it's thematics.

I know much of this has been stated before, but I like to bring attention to things like this.

Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:26 am

Hans wrote:

Yeah, the few qualms with the show I have are really similar to your's (the rhymes can get sort of hilarious, for the wrong reasons at times). Great minds, right? :P

Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:30 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I saw the show sitting orchestra center 2nd row last night. I've rarely been this close to the stage for any show, much less a show as popular as The Book of Mormon, but there you go.

My review:

First off, the overall production is amazing. The sets, lighting, staging, etc. are all excellent. The two best scenes were Spooky Mormon Hell Dream and Man Up, where the stage was transformed into an elaborate hell and a rock concert stage, respectively. I've heard the songs a million times and it was still pretty funny. The book, however, was not as sharp or as funny as I thought it would be. The actors really carried the script and found the humor in it, rather than the script being inherently funny. Sure, there's funny lines ("we shouldn't be fighting, the Chinese are the real problem") but those were surprisingly few. Josh Gad was particularly adept at turning little things into sight gags and facial expressions. He was the heart and soul of the show. I'm seeing Catch Me if You Can in 40 minutes, so I'll see if Norbert Leo Butz is better than him, but from what I saw, he should've won the Tony. Andrew Rannells was decent as Elder Price, but his character's journey could've been more convincing in the hands of a more capable actor. That said, watching his myriad of facial expressions while he's hopped up on coffee was pretty entertaining. And he could sing and dance amazingly well. Nikki James was sweet as Nabalungi, and her chemistry with Josh Gad was pretty steamy. Rory O'Malley was hilarious as Elder McKinley and Moroni. His part was small, yes, but everytime he was on stage, he was hilarious.

The ensemble of Elders and Africans were also very good - to the "---- asshole Mutombo" to the doctor who has maggots in his scrotum to Elder Pop-tart - each of the minor characters were all very well-developed and had a soul of their own.

Last but not least, Tina Fey was there. It was enjoyable seeing her in the theater.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:59 pm

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post THE BOOK OF MORMON / Movie
No concrete plans yet, but Trey Parker and Matt Stone said in Entertainment Weekly that they will definitely make a movie of The Book of Mormon when the steam has run out of the stage show.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Hot diggity, Gavin Creel is going to star as Elder Price in the national tour!

http://www.broadway.com/shows/book-morm ... onal-tour/

Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next