The Resource For Musicals

Other Current Broadway & West End Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
"Book of Mormon" to open on Broadway 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post "Book of Mormon" to open on Broadway
To those who aren't aware, Trey Parker (writer of South Park) and Robert Lopez (writer of Avenue Q) are doing a new Broadway musical based on the Book of Mormon:

http://www.theatermania.com/broadway/news/09-2010/book-of-mormon-musical-to-play-broadways-eugene-on_26575.html

This is going to be sooooooooooo funny. I can't wait.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:02 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Other...
Post Re: "Book of Mormon" to open on Broadway
I totally already knew about this. One of my good friends is working on it.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:17 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Scientology would be way funnier.

No way could they do "Mohammad and The Koran".

Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:09 pm

Scientology would probably try to sue them or something.

I wonder what my Mormon friends would think of this...

Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:19 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Quote:
Scientology would be way funnier.

Actually, there already is a musical about scientology. It's called "A Very Merry Unauthorized Children's Scientology Pageant" and it opened Off Broadway several years ago.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:27 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

This is kinda mean. Im not mormon but i have a few friends who are. they would be very upset by this.

The Phantom Tollbooth- Tock

Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:51 pm

Eh. Mormon's have been the target of jokes for quite some time. South Park did an episode making fun of them, but it wasn't particularly mean. It ended with the Mormon kid chewing out Stan for being an intolerant jerk.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:28 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Parker and Stone have done this many times on their show and movies- their basic conceit is that Mormonism is dumb and misinformed, but for some reason, there are almost NO unpleasant Mormons. They're the kindest, nicest people in the world, and they just happen to belong to what they consider a quack religion. They're also almost never hypocritical.

They're also one of the few acceptable targets, since Scientology has become a giant, threatening monolith.

Very tightly, very soon.
So wave one bachelor goodbye,
She'll be your bride- she'd rather die
Than have her daddy ossify
In my sordid saloon..."

Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:13 am
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post BOOK OF MORMON on Broadway
Monsieur D'Arque wrote:
Parker and Stone have done this many times on their show and movies - their basic conceit is that Mormonism is dumb and misinformed, but for some reason, there are almost NO unpleasant Mormons. They're the kindest, nicest people in the world, and they just happen to belong to what they consider a quack religion. They're also almost never hypocritical. They're also one of the few acceptable targets, since Scientology has become a giant, threatening monolith.

It is possible that Mormons are one of the few "acceptable" targets because of their good nature? Does that make using this kind of humour all too easy? And at what point does the humour stop being satirical and simply become bigotry?

Last edited by RainbowJude on Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:19 am
Profile WWW

I think it'll be great. The makers of South Park and Avenue Q? Sounds like a win to me. This is the first time I've been excited for a new musical in... actually, this is probably the first time I've ever been really excited for a new musical.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:33 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

ILoveToSing2010 wrote:
This is kinda mean. Im not mormon but i have a few friends who are. they would be very upset by this.

Is it? I didn't really see anything in the article that seemed like it would be mean. I mean, granted, it is half from the South Park guys, but they actually have a really deft way at poking fun at things that, believe it or not, only pushes when it's warranted...

Plus, who knows, this may be a comedy that explores Mormonism without Mormonism actually being the joke. And, if it's not, that's ok too - we all gotta have a sense of humor. Too early to tell...

Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:49 pm

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post BOOK OF MORMON on Broadway
ILoveToSing2010 wrote:
This is kinda mean. I'm not Mormon but i have a few friends who are. They would be very upset by this.

JayJayM12 wrote:
Is it? I didn't really see anything in the article that seemed like it would be mean. I mean, granted, it is half from the South Park guys, but they actually have a really deft way at poking fun at things that, believe it or not, only pushes when it's warranted. Plus, who knows, this may be a comedy that explores Mormonism without Mormonism actually being the joke. And, if it's not, that's OK too - we all gotta have a sense of humor. Too early to tell.

It depends on how it is handled. I think it is possible for the show to be satirical without being offensive and that might be part of the measure as to weather the show ends up being any good or not. If it ends up being nothing but a bunch of Mormon jokes with the sole source of humour being derived from the putting down of a particular faith group simply for the sake of it, then I would being to question the reasoning behind the creation of the show and wonder whether, as I mentioned above, the show is nothing but cheap bigotry aimed towards an easy target. However, I suppose we shall have to wait and see how it turns out.

Anyway,Casting has been announced for the Book of Mormon: Josh Gad and Andrew Rannells will lead the cast as Elders Cunningham and Price, 'a pair of mismatched Mormon boys sent on a mission to a place that’s about as far from Salt Lake City as you can get', along with Nikki M. James as Nabalungi, Rory O’Malley as Elder McKinley and Michael Potts as Mafala Hatimbi with Scott Barnhardt, Justin Bohon, Darlesia Cearcy, Kevin Duda, Asmeret Ghebremichael, Brian Tyree Henry, John Eric Parker, Jason Michael Snow, Benjamin Schrader, Michael James Scott, Brian Sears, Lawrence Stallings, Rema Webb, Maia Nkenge Wilson and Tommar Wilson.

It also turns out that Book of Mormon will introduce something new to Broadway: Fridays matinées. Is a good idea, do you think? Might it be the start of a new trend?

Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:16 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next