The Resource For Musicals

Other Current Broadway & West End Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Avenue Q Nominated for Best Musical of the Decade 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

13? Wicked? Spelling Bee? Spring Awakening? Come on.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:20 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Frankly I don't know these "new" musicals too well, but most directors I know, both West End and Norwegian would love to direct Spring Awakening and The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. I don't know whether they are good or not, but since so many directors want to do them, and on the other hand NOT do musicals like The Drowsy Chaperone, The Producers, Passing Strange and even The Light In the Piazza, which I really like. I'm surprised that The Last Five Years didn't make that list, since I've heard so much debate around it from several directors here in Norway on how to produce it, etc.

The shows I was surprised by here were 13, Billy Elliot, Thoroughly Modern Millie and In the Heights, which I find very overrated.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:48 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal
theatre4life wrote:
Brock07 wrote:
The lyric was changed to "George Bush WAS only for now"

thanks, dude!

The London version of the show changed the line to 'Swine Flu is only for now'. :)

Likewise the Australian tour.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:50 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

SianZena wrote:
theatre4life wrote:
Brock07 wrote:
The lyric was changed to "George Bush WAS only for now"

thanks, dude!

The London version of the show changed the line to 'Swine Flu is only for now'. :)

Likewise the Australian tour.

When I saw the London production it was 'Gordon Brown is only for now'.

I`ve been waitin` for the light to shine...

Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:55 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Performer
I've never seen an official production of Ave. Q, but Acting Up Stage Theatre Company does a showcase of young MT performers in the Toronto area every year that celebrates contemporary MT. Their closing number was For Now, and they changed it to 'Stephen Harper is only for now'. Makes sense.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:04 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re:
Luc wrote:
:? Really? It's funny and everything... but to think that Avenue Q could be considered the best musical to come out of the last ten years baffles me.

I completely agree. I went to watch it after a recommendation from a friend who thought it was hilarious but maybe she built it up too much for me because I found it enjoyable but not so funny that it had me in stitches or anything! More like chuckles and one or two real laughs, definitely would NOT say it was one of the best musicals ever?! Having said that, it was nice to see something a bit different, especially since the person I went with was not usually the kind of person to go to the theatre but even he enjoyed it. I think the adult themes and humour helped!

Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:07 am

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Avenue Q = Best Musical of the Decade
Luc wrote:
To think that Avenue Q could be considered the best musical to come out of the last ten years baffles me.

smabi wrote:
I also have a lack of knowledge about new Broadway musicals, and I believe Avenue Q is very good, but the best of this decade? I'm not sure.

Lyndsay26 wrote:
I completely agree.... (I) definitely would not say it was one of the best musicals ever....

And yet, it came out tops in the poll we did here not only when we did it before the big board changeover, but also in our redux poll after the big switch. I've seen it ranked consistently high on similar polls on other boards - always in the top 3, with first place placements on many people's lists. The show has huge merits and is brilliant from start to finish. The only shows mentioned in this thread that give it a run for its money are The Light in the Piazza and Grey Gardens.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:16 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Avenue Q Nominated for Best Musical of the Decade
Quote:
I've seen it ranked consistently high on similar polls on other boards - always in the top 3, with first place placements on many people's lists. The show has huge merits and is brilliant from start to finish.

I didn't have a chance to see Avenue Q, but now I wish I had. I made it a point to see The Book of Mormon, and laughed so hard my face hurt. I really don't see why people are so upset about the language and subject matter, as it is (as I see it) very timely and relevant to modern world views. I think Avenue Q does something very similar, as it's obvious what the show is parodying.

I was able to get in to see it with no problems, btw. The trick is buy your tickets in advance.[mod edit - no commercial links please] I'll definitely be back for Avenue Q. :thumbup:

Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2