Other Current Broadway & West End Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Hairspray Mexico 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
Post Hairspray Mexico
Having just gotten into this show, I've been going crazy with YouTube clips, mostly of the U.S. tours and Broadway production.

Then I came across a couple of promo videos of a production scheduled to open in Mexico City on 12 February. Being fluent in Spanish, this is obviously wonderful news indeed!

The following video is of the cast's first sing through with the orchestra, featuring one of the two Tracys who will alternate in the role. You can see their excitement and the emotion in their faces at hearing their voices blend with the orchestra for the first time. I can only imagine what an emotional experience that must be like after singing against a rehearsal piano for weeks. It's like it all just...comes alive!

"Buen Dia Baltimore" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2LSAvNfKng

And here's the other Tracy...

"Bienvenida a Los 60's" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y52Lxsg9 ... re=related

Hehe, gotta love that ultra queenie Edna. XD He looks like he's gonna be a blast. Though I do wonder how that'll play out since I feel part of the role's charm is that it's played by a very "straight" actor who doesn't usually bother trying to convincingly portray a woman.

Another thing, just looking at the cast, I see maybe one or two people who can pull off playing African American roles but that's it. Everyone else looks very...Mexican. I wonder how they're going to portray the racial subplot. Hmm.

I wanna go seeeeee iiiiit.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]