Other Current Broadway & West End Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Harry Potter to star in H2$ reading in NYC 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Once, Chess, Company, Assassins
Main Role: Producer
Post Re: Harry Potter to star in H2$ reading in NYC
When they announced that Daniel Radcliffe would play the part, I thought he was a little young for the part, considering that Broderick was 33 and Morse 30.
When there was rumors about Joe Jonas to replace Radcliffe, I wasn't sure, but at least, he was the same age as Radcliffe. But now, they're going for Nick Jonas who will be 19 years old when he'll step into Darren Criss' shoes... that's ridiculous.

Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:55 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post HOW TO SUCCEED? Go to Musical Cyberspace!
Come to Musical Cyberspace - the BETTER resource for musicals - and read the news about Joe Jonas in How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:22 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Once, Chess, Company, Assassins
Main Role: Producer
Post Re: HOW TO SUCCEED... Revival
RainbowJude wrote:
And I am going to ask the same question I asked when Daniel Radcliffe's casting was questioned in the same way: what does the age of actors who have previously played the role have to do with it at all? The character is an ambitious, young window cleaner and the show is basically a coming of age story set in the world of business. A different discussion could be held about whether its better for the role to be played older or younger, because obviously that changes the way the show plays, in the same way that a younger Roxie communicates different things in Chicago than an older Roxie does. But that's a totally different discussion, because the way that this revival has chosen to cast the role is with a younger actor, rather than with an actor who is mutton dressed as lamb boyishly mugging his way through a role for which he is probably too old in the first place. If you want to question the concept, then question the concept - but this casting is very much in line with the concept that Rob Ashford has chosen to run with for his production.

I agree with you, you're right.
But I still think that Nick Jonas looks like a teenager and Daniel Radcliffe looks more like a young adult. I'm okay with the fact that in this production, they decided go with a young J. Pierrepont Finch, but there's a difference between a young adult in his early 20s and a teenager. Nick Jonas will be 19 by the time he'll take over the role, but casting-wise, he looks like he is 16. It's only my personal opinion...
Still, I think that beyond Radcliffe and Jonas, Darren Criss will do great with this part.

Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:48 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Main Role: Fan
I don't see why there needs to be a Jonas Brother cast in this show at all. Though I've never heard the Jonas Brothers sing, I don't even know if they can act to save their lives. Darren Criss seems like an ideal replacement for David R., but it would be difficult for him to do the show and keep his status on Glee current. So why not go with another seasoned Broadway performer (or a fresh face)? Are they hoping to bank on previous Jonas popularity? Have these boys done anything in the last few months? I thought they were old news. lol

Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:55 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Main Role: Fan
According to Wikipedia, the show could be ending after Jonas does his stint. The source that they gave to back up the claim said nothing about it ending next year.

Is the show not doing well in sales? This is a show that I would like to see someday, if I could ever get to NY.

Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:25 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Miss Adelaide wrote:
According to Wikipedia, the show could be ending after Jonas does his stint. The source that they gave to back up the claim said nothing about it ending next year.

Is the show not doing well in sales? This is a show that I would like to see someday, if I could ever get to NY.

It's constantly had 90%+ weekly attendance rates according to facts and figures I've read on websites, so it seems to be doing well to me. Probably just want to make sure the show doesn't get dated or something.

Image The RIGHT banner made my the great Lexi.

Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:03 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Naya Rivera, Glee, Sunset Boulevard, Godspell
Main Role: Performer
Darren Criss is overrated. He's a poor actor and his voice is nothing special. Nick Jonas was better and I'm not even a fan of his.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:25 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I saw the CD in a store. Half tempted, but didn't buy it.

Can he sing?

Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:51 pm

Main Role: Performer
he's alright...but no Robert Morse.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:53 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6