The Resource For Musicals

Other Current Broadway & West End Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Harry Potter to star in H2$ reading in NYC 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post HOW TO SUCCEED? Go to Musical Cyberspace!
Come to Musical Cyberspace - the BETTER resource for musicals - to join in the discussion on the casting of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:12 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Daniel Radcliffe to star in H2$ reading in NYC
SmallTownIngenue wrote:
WickedToo wrote:
mastachen wrote:
I will go see it just to see John Larroquette. And I'll probably be the only person in the entire audience who's going for John Larroquette and not Harry Potter.

You're not going to see Harry Potter! You're going to see Daniel Radcliffe, who is an actor that played Harry Potter in the movies. The title of this thread also shows this ignorance. I'm not mad at you, just making sure everyone understood this point. :D

Actually......Daniel Radcliffe would disagree with you.

;)

Daniel Radcliffe will always be remembered for Harry Potter. It'll be the first line in his obituary. Nothing he ever plays on stage will ever reach the success or visibility of Harry Potter, and his future movies will be overshadowed by the success of all eight Harry Potters. Harry Potter has become a cultural phenomenon that's matched only by the Star Wars saga.

Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:50 am

Come to Musical Cyberspace - the BETTER resource for musicals - and see the first picture of Daniel Radcliffe in How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:55 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Getting a solid B at the top of my range!
Main Role: Performer
Post Darren Criss in HOW TO SUCCEED...
So it looks like Darren Criss will take some time off Glee to succeed Daniel Radcliffe in How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. Two Harry Potters in the same role - what fun!

Principles that rock the universe: 1. Tenors are cool. Claims to the contrary = FAIL. 2. I love all musicals, but as we learn in INTO THE WOODS - "nice is different than good". 3. Discussing Musicals = WIN WIN WIN = Let's do it!

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:09 pm

Come to Musical Cyberspace - the BETTER resource for musicals - and read the news about Darren Criss in How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying and the show's opening night.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:12 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: wizard rock, Phantom of the Opera
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Harry Potter to star in H2$ reading in NYC
I'm a HUGE, like HUGE, fan of Harry Potter, and I'm also pretty familiar with How To Succeed as well, so Dan (because his name is Dan, not Harry) being casted was pretty exciting for me. I haven't seen the show (yet) but I think everybody here is making some really premature judgements on his abilities. Yes, he became big by playing the title role in what is now the most successful movie franchise of all time, but if you have ever seen the movies, you can see his progression as an actor. He grew up acting, so maybe he's not the trained, elite, big name Broadway star some would like to see in the role, but he's an actor. He knows what he's doing, he's not just some kid who walked into the audition and say "Hey, I'm gonna try to sing and dance today." Plus, he was in Equus a few years ago, and got some pretty great reviews, so it isn't like he has no stage experience. So, so what if he's a little young, or doesn't have much experience singing. Obviously if he was chosen for the role, he shows a lot of potential, so give Daniel Radcliffe a chance on stage before you go writing him off as the one-trick pony who played Harry Potter and couldn't do anything else. I say kudos to Dan for trying to shake a bit of his Potter rep and trying something new.
And as for the news about Darren Criss, I couldn't be happier. I knew his name wayyy before he even auditioned for Glee, and have been happily watching the rise to success I knew that he'd have. He will be just fantastic.

Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:26 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

So I saw How To Succeed yesterday. The show itself was pretty funny, but the songs as a whole sucked, except for Brotherhood of Man, which I enjoyed immensely. The show's ending was also very abrupt, imo.

Daniel Radcliffe was not that great of a singer, and he constantly tripped over his lines. I guess speaking at a breathtaking speed in an American accent is a little too difficult for him. He also had enunciation issues, so combining that with his flubbed lines, I had a lot of trouble understanding what Finch was trying to say. Acting-wise though, he had very good comedic timing, and had great chemistry with Rose Hemingway (Rosemary) and John Larroquette.

John Larroquette's entrance applause was louder than Daniel's last night, and he was absolutely hilarious. Like Daniel, he doesn't sing that well, but he was an expert actor and he was just a treat. I can easily see why he won Best Featured Actor.

The rest of the cast was serviceable. Christopher Hanke as Frump, Rose Hemingway as Rosemary, and Tammy Blanchard as the lady everyone went nuts for, were all decent.

Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:13 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Main Role: Fan
mastachen wrote:
So I saw How To Succeed yesterday. The show itself was pretty funny, but the songs as a whole sucked, except for Brotherhood of Man, which I enjoyed immensely. The show's ending was also very abrupt, imo.

Daniel Radcliffe was not that great of a singer, and he constantly tripped over his lines. I guess speaking at a breathtaking speed in an American accent is a little too difficult for him. He also had enunciation issues, so combining that with his flubbed lines, I had a lot of trouble understanding what Finch was trying to say. Acting-wise though, he had very good comedic timing, and had great chemistry with Rose Hemingway (Rosemary) and John Larroquette.

John Larroquette's entrance applause was louder than Daniel's last night, and he was absolutely hilarious. Like Daniel, he doesn't sing that well, but he was an expert actor and he was just a treat. I can easily see why he won Best Featured Actor.

The rest of the cast was serviceable. Christopher Hanke as Frump, Rose Hemingway as Rosemary, and Tammy Blanchard as the lady everyone went nuts for, were all decent.

Did the ending for this musical change from the other two musical productions?

This is a musical that I would love to see. :)

Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:55 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'm not really familiar with the history of the show, so I have no idea what the previous endings were like.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:19 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I haven't seen the show (unfortunately) but I'm listening to the cast album right now and, I have to say, it's nothing special. I mean, it's not terrible. But it kinda sounds like they took a high school production and set it to some (slightly) more fleshed out orchestrations. Nobody is particularly bad but, nobody's standout either. It's pretty generic. If you wanted to listen to the music because you were auditioning but didn't want to be influenced by the singers performances, this would be the recording to get. Because there really isn't much to be influenced by. As much as I love Daniel Radcliffe, he's only in this show because of his name. Let's face it.

Now, Darren Criss as JP Finch....that's an idea I could get used to!

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:53 pm

Come to Musical Cyberspace - the BETTER resource for musicals - and read the news about Nick Jonas in How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:15 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Main Role: Fan
My thoughts are if he can do it, more power to him. If not, well, it won't be the worst example of stunt casting we've ever seen on Broadway.

Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:50 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Reply to topic   [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next