The Resource For Musicals

Other Current Broadway & West End Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Annie Get Your Gun at Young Vic 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Annie Get Your Gun at Young Vic
I saw this show on Monday night. They have trimmed the book a little bit; there are no Winnie/Tommy characters, but Dolly/Charlie sing one of their songs - I'll Share It All With You. They also cut the "Indian" song. Annie does not have brothers/sisters with her, but they use one child as her "business partner." It is staged in a very small and intimate space with a smallish cast and 4 pianos instead of an orchestra. Jane Horrocks has more of a jazz style than belting so many of her numbers are transposed lower; in addition, there is virtually no choreography. Julian Ovenden as Frank Butler is absolutely tremendous though; a real standout. It is an interesting, modernized interpretation which seems to take place in the 1930s and uses Forrest Gump-like movies showing Annie getting medals from folks like Churchill and Hitler. Overall, very enjoyable but very different from big scale productions you may have seen in the past.

Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:38 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I saw this yesterday evening, and I wasn't planning on being 'wowed' or anything, but seriously, this show is brilliant! It is hilarious, has a story, & songs which everyone can sing along to. Jane Horrocks was incredible, and everyone in the cast really excelled. The ensemble was awsome, & I also really enjoyed watching 10 year old Jessica something as Jessie. I'm so bummed this show is closing, and i'm looking to find a youth theatre production of it which I can join soon :)

Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:13 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]