The Resource For Musicals

Other Current Broadway & West End Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
George Stiles & Anthony Drewe's PETER PAN 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Post George Stiles & Anthony Drewe's PETER PAN
I just got ahold of the 2008 West Yorkshire Playhouse Cast Recording of "Peter Pan" by George Stiles & Anthony Drewe. I love the original version of the musical very much... But this one has a certain je ne sais quois about it. The innocence and simplicity and ultimate perfection of the music and lyrics is absolutely astounding. It is a beautiful, beautiful piece. I've only listened to the first eight tracks so far, and I can't stop.

Favorite tracks so far:
Tinkerbell & Peter Pan's Arrival
Never Land
Build a House
The Cleverness of Me

I haven't even seen this production, but I'm already hooked.
Pun fully intended.

Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:04 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I haven't heard this one yet, but damn, there are a lot of Peter Pan musicals.

The "standard" one is great theater, but uses far too much big-band swing music for its style and time period, without anything else to suggest its embrace of anachronism. This just makes it out of place.

Disney's has some classic songs, but its lyrics are undoubtedly somewhat racist to today's ears.

Stiles and Drewe... haven't heard 'em!

Very tightly, very soon.
So wave one bachelor goodbye,
She'll be your bride- she'd rather die
Than have her daddy ossify
In my sordid saloon..."

Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:32 pm
Profile WWW

I haven't heard this one yet, but damn, there are a lot of Peter Pan musicals.

The "standard" one is great theater, but uses far too much big-band swing music for its style and time period, without anything else to suggest its embrace of anachronism. This just makes it out of place.

Disney's has some classic songs, but its lyrics are undoubtedly somewhat racist to today's ears.

Stiles and Drewe... haven't heard 'em!

Is the "standard" referring to the Mary Martin staple?

As for the Disney version, I really dislike most of the music.

Stiles and Drewe however... Nearly flawless. I can't stop listening to "Never Land." Not only is Peter written for a male with a changed voice, but in this song they finally discuss the actual name and what it means - "There is just one rule when flying, which is not too hard to understand, whatever you do... never land!" It's no longer a boring, slow-moving song, but an upbeat tune featuring Peter and the Darling Children which segues straight into the actual flying to Neverland.

By the way, this recording has just been uploaded onto The Singing Stage if you're interested.

Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:57 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I love this show, I saw the West Yorkshire Playhouse production and it was stunning. I think it captures the spirit of the original play and book better than any other version I've seen or heard. It certainly kicks the Disney version's behind.

Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:22 am

Luc!!!!!! I love you for creating this topic!!!!!!!

The Broadway / Mary Martin / Cathy Rigby one is dreadful. I'm a hardcore Peter Pan fan and cannot stand it at all!!! All copies of it must be burnt!

The "British Musical" one by Charter Robbins is ok.
I can stand the Disney one.

But the Stiles and Drewe version IS flawless. I saw the West Yorkshire Playhouse / Birmingham Rep version and absolutely fell in love with it. I've heard the the BBC Concert Cast and love the music. That production itself is to die for... I've worked with that creative team before and all their productions have something about them that just makes them magical and spectacular.

I've used "There's Always Tomorrow" as an audition piece before and people have always wanted to hear more about the production.

It's such a shame that it's not known very well.

Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:41 am

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Disney's PETER PAN
Monsieur D'Arque wrote:

Only one song really falls squarely into that category: "What Made the Red Man Red?"

Luc wrote:

That's a pity, as a couple of the songs are really great ("The Second Star to the Right" and "You Can Fly!") and others are great fun ("Following the Leader" and "A Pirate's Life"). I also have a soft spot for "Your Mother and Mine", although it is not sung well at all, and "Never Smile at a Crocodile", the lyrics of which we never hear in the film. Come to think of it, it is really not a bad song score at all. It is quite charming.

Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:35 am
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Disney's PETER PAN
RainbowJude wrote:
Luc wrote:

That's a pity, as a couple of the songs are really great ("The Second Star to the Right" and "You Can Fly!") and others are great fun ("Following the Leader" and "A Pirate's Life"). I also have a soft spot for "Your Mother and Mine", although it is not sung well at all, and "Never Smile at a Crocodile", the lyrics of which we never hear in the film. Come to think of it, it is really not a bad song score at all. It is quite charming.[/color]

So David, how about this: someone attempts a translation of the Disney film to stage, fine-tuning the score in the process. How do you think that could turn out?

Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:20 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Disney's PETER PAN
ActingDude17 wrote:
So David, how about this: someone attempts a translation of the Disney film to stage, fine-tuning the score in the process. How do you think that could turn out?

You know what, given the right kind of fine-tuning, I think it would turn out just great - but, as with any musical, it depends a balance of so many different elements coming together at precisely the right moment in time.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:17 pm
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Current Obsession: Newsies The Musical, Pilgrim
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: George Stiles & Anthony Drewe's PETER PAN
I think I will have to go and get my hand son the soundtrack to Stiles & Drewe's Peter Pan if it is as great as people have mentioned here. The one adaptation that I am interested in is done by theater360 that integrates projection in a theater-in-the-round setting. It's supposed to be amazing.

http://www.peterpantheshow.com/

Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:55 pm

Post Re: George Stiles & Anthony Drewe's PETER PAN

Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]