The Resource For Musicals

Other Current Broadway & West End Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Which to see? Wicked or Phantom? 

Wicked on Bway or Phantom of The Opera on Bway?
Wicked 56%  56%  [ 31 ]
Phantom of The Opera 44%  44%  [ 24 ]
Total votes : 55

Which to see? Wicked or Phantom? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: In the Heights,Aaron Tveit, I Love You Because
Main Role: Performer
oh yeah into the woods is great. but that's what is best about theatre is it is an individual response. i didn't mean to sound rant-y i just feel like people on the board were bashing shows that they personally don't like instead of subjectively helping out. actingdude: thanks for being clear about you're personal opinion and not bashing others who choose to think differently. that's all i was asking of the posters.

i mean personally Wicked and Phantom and Jersey Boys all make me think.....most theatre does and what doesn't....yeah forum, little shop, how to succeed, anything goes, the like...is still good theatre.

so just see what you want to see: everyone who is asking for advice. you will know what's best and just see what you want to if you can get tickets. if not see a different show you want to see. it's that simple.

Previous: Into The Woods -Cinderella, West Side Story- Rosalia, My Fair Lady - u/s Eliza, Cats -Demeter, FAME!-Serena, Fiddler...- Hodel, A Chorus Line - Lois, Guys and Dolls - Adelaide, No, No Nanette

Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:21 am
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal
Dvarg wrote:
ActingDude17 wrote:
In my opinion, if it's not thought-provoking and doesn't have a powerful message to convey, the show is not worth my time.

If that really is your opinion, I think you may miss some very good theatre out there. On The Town, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum, Little Shop Of Horrors and Anything Goes aren't really very thought provoking shows nor do they carry powerful messages (messages are not their focus, at least). But they are very, very good shows.

I guess it just comes back to personal taste and opinion. I need something that makes me re-think what I know and believe, much as I did walking out of the theatre the first times I saw Sweeney Todd and Into The Woods.

I thought you meant you walked out, as in, left..lol.

But FWIW, I'd much rather see one of the professional productions of Wicked or POTO 100 times, than sit through a shocking amateur performance of ITW or Sweeney.

Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:32 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

IMO this is a pretty trite argument. Neither show does anything for me, but if she's a teenage girl celebrating her birthday I think she'll have an amazing time. Yes, musical theatre can be a deep and powerful artform - but shoving this down her throat just makes you look like a pretentious douche.

Let her find it in her own time.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:01 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Shaw
ActingDude17 wrote:
Dvarg wrote:
ActingDude17 wrote:
In my opinion, if it's not thought-provoking and doesn't have a powerful message to convey, the show is not worth my time.

If that really is your opinion, I think you may miss some very good theatre out there. On The Town, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum, Little Shop Of Horrors and Anything Goes aren't really very thought provoking shows nor do they carry powerful messages (messages are not their focus, at least). But they are very, very good shows.

I guess it just comes back to personal taste and opinion. I need something that makes me re-think what I know and believe, much as I did walking out of the theatre the first times I saw Sweeney Todd and Into The Woods.

I thought you meant you walked out, as in, left..lol.

But FWIW, I'd much rather see one of the professional productions of Wicked or POTO 100 times, than sit through a shocking amateur performance of ITW or Sweeney.

I see where you're coming from. I saw a pretty bad ITW JR (which on paper is already awful, the performance didn't make up for it) and it made me cringe that Sondheim's amazing work was being butchered like that.

And howglorygoes, most don't "find it in their own time". Most stay comfortably ignorant in the dark, sticking to shallow, fluff-filled shows. If that sustains them, more power to them.

Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:14 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Thanks for all your help guys! I just wanted to update you a little bit:
I just tooka a weekend trip to NYC in january and saw 3 shows:
Finian's Rainbow
Billy Elliot
Altar Boyz
I didnt so much like Finian's Rainbow..but I LOVED LOVED LOVED Billy Elliot and Altar Boyz. I already knew the plot and music to Billy Elliot prior to seeing it, but Altar Boyz was a complete new experience and sooo mcuh fun! I also recieved two tickets to go see Wicked in April as a christmas gift from my brother! SO EXCITEDDD!!!!

I am proud to say I am no longer a broadway newbie! :)

I also saw you were talking about Into the Woods and I just wanted to say that my school is currently working on it and its a great (though though to pull off) show!!!!

Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:30 pm

Current Obsession: Shaw
Thanks for all your help guys! I just wanted to update you a little bit:
I just tooka a weekend trip to NYC in january and saw 3 shows:
Finian's Rainbow
Billy Elliot
Altar Boyz
I didnt so much like Finian's Rainbow..but I LOVED LOVED LOVED Billy Elliot and Altar Boyz. I already knew the plot and music to Billy Elliot prior to seeing it, but Altar Boyz was a complete new experience and sooo mcuh fun! I also recieved two tickets to go see Wicked in April as a christmas gift from my brother! SO EXCITEDDD!!!!

I'm glad to hear you had an enjoyable experience. Thanks for the update! I'm just curious about one thing. Why did you not like Finian's Rainbow? I'm anxious to hear your thoughts.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:54 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Well, I enjoyed the music because it was very upbeat and so were the actors, but i felt the whole show dragged on in the first act (as did the friends I saw it with) By the second act it picked up a bit with more humor, but the show in a whole just wasn't the WOW i thought it would be. I would reccomend it for families though. :)

Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:10 pm

god..finians rainbow is one of the best shows going. the other two you saw are pretty much crap.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:58 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I completely disagree! The storyline for Finian's was terrible, and its run has been very short. I've been told that it wont be on broadway much longer. I could be wrong, But in my opinion I would have much rather seen the other shows twice. honestly.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:18 am

Finians rainbow is a classic. .the revival recieved brilliant reviews and good audience response. it closed due to financial costs.

the plot is very important and very meaningful. confronting prejudice,equality, and other major social issues. the score is easily one of the top 20 greatest to come out of the theatre world. its been popular for over 60 years . in 10 year no one will know billy elliott or alter boyz.

oh well..i guess you cant feed caviar to a spam lover.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:42 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:01 am

soe opinions are just misguided when lined up with the majority.

i refuse to argue about musical theatre with a novice.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:33 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next