The Resource For Musicals

Other Current Broadway & West End Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Wildhorn's "Wonderland" to Premiere in Tampa, FL.. 

El Gato?

I'm having trouble keeping my food down.

Let's be fair, we don't yet know why he has chosen to do this or what context it is in. Stupid though it may sound.

The thing that has me concerned is that it's coming out in such close proximity to the Tim Burton movie. Either he's trying to cash in, or he doesn't realize that people are going to be tired of hearing about Alice and largely not care about his project.

Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:56 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Once, Chess, Company, Assassins
Main Role: Producer
Is it me, or he's working on too many projects at the same time??

Cyrano de Bergerac - The Musical just finished its run in Japan
Rudolf ran this year in Vienna
The Count of Monte Cristo ran in march 2009 in Switzerland
Wonderland: Alice's New Musical Adventure will open on November 24 in Tampa
Bonnie & Clyde will open on November 10 at La Jolla
Havana will open in June 2010 in Pasadena

In my opinion, that's way to many projects.
Shouldn't he concentrate on one thing??

Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:41 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Shouldn't he concentrate on one thing??

I think he concentrates on one thing: churning out generic ballads for someone to fill inn generic words so he can put them randomly in plot lines from random classic stories.

Isn't that what musical theatre is all about?

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:39 am

If you can broaden that to include classic stories AND mediocre movies, it's certainly what musical theatre is all about this century.

Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:53 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

SomeoneLikeYou wrote:
El Gato?

Let's be fair, we don't yet know why he has chosen to do this or what context it is in. Stupid though it may sound.

The thing that has me concerned is that it's coming out in such close proximity to the Tim Burton movie. Either he's trying to cash in, or he doesn't realize that people are going to be tired of hearing about Alice and largely not care about his project.

I've heard the demo for the song of "El Gato." The melody and chord progression is stolen from an Enrique Iglesias or whatever.

My opinions are right. Duh.

Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:37 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Beagle On Stage wrote:
SomeoneLikeYou wrote:
El Gato?

I've heard the demo for the song of "El Gato." The melody and chord progression is stolen from an Enrique Iglesias or whatever.

Wow...If you are going to steal music, at least steal good music.

Although you shouldn't steal anyone's work, but still, wow.

Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:55 pm

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Wonderland Concept Album / Montage
The concept album is out and Playbill has the details:

Kenneth Jones wrote:
The concept album contains 15 tracks featuring original cast members Janet Dacal, Jose Llana, Karen Mason, Darren Ritchie and Nikki Snelson among others. Tunes on the CD include "Worst Day of My Life," "Once More I Can See" and "Finding Wonderland," sung by Dacal, who plays Alice; "One Knight," sung by Ritchie; and "Off With Their Heads," sung by Mason. The recording also contains a bonus track of the original demo of "Go With the Flow," sung by Rob Evan.

Frank Wildhorn wrote:
These concept recordings have always been a wonderful way to share the music with our fans.... We always believe, as great as it is to come out of the theatre humming a melody or two, it's always better to go into the theatre humming a melody or two!

There's also a photo montage up at YouTube:

Like I said before, the story really sounds like it's gone the direction of Labyrinth, what with Alice having to go and save her daughter by defeating the Queen. The song like something out of Brooklyn.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:13 am
Profile WWW

Either I've read that "new" post before, or we can add "psychic" to the list of reasons why I'm so cool.

Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:31 am

Post WONDERLAND: Song Clips / You Tube / Photo Flash
The website for Wonderland is live and offers 7 clips from songs in the show. They're all very poppy and sound pretty much like what we expect from Wildhorn: "park and bark" establishing numbers for each character as they appear and static reflections on a certain moment in time. I might develop a soft spot for "Finding Wonderland" and "Once More I Can See" for days like today when I'm feeling a bit sad and lonely and yearning just for... something... in the same way I keep "Once Upon a Time" from Brooklyn for times when I need a song to satisfy the emo teenager part of my psyche. Sometimes I wonder why Frank Wildhorn makes musicals when he could be making a mint in the pop music industry...

There are also several more videos up on YouTube - interviews with Frank Wildhorn, lyricist Jack Murphy, director Gregory Boyd and Nikki Snelson, who plays the Mad Hatter:

There is also a full demo version of The Caterpillar's Song:

BroadwayWorld also has offered a "Photo Flash" of images from the show. I'm really not sure what to make of them. A sample or three:

Enjoy - if it's your thing...

Last edited by RainbowJude on Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:51 am
Profile WWW

Post WONDERLAND: Opening and Video Preview
Aaaaand.... it's open! Anyone going?

It certainly promises to be a very exciting theatre trip, as evidenced in this BWW Video Preview for the show: for example, to go with the bizarre score, they've used some dance that is clearly inspired from the "Debbie Allen choreographs Carrie" way of staging musical numbers and Susan Hilferty has been allowed to use all the costumes that were rejected by Wicked. Indeed, it occurred to me that this is probably what Wildhorn is trying to do here: to create, in style rather than concept, the Wicked version of Wonderland.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:57 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Falsettos (forever), Avenue Q, The Scottsboro Boys
I saw it, it was amazing! The score was better then the book, but i loved everything about it. I live in FL so you know.

Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:03 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: The Current Bway Season; A Little Night Music
Indeed, it occurred to me that this is probably what Wildhorn is trying to do here: to create, in style rather than concept, the Wicked version of Wonderland.

That's EXACTLY what I thought when I heard of this! I mean, you'd think that with Wicked being so popular, Wildhorn would realize that now is not the time for another retelling/sequel (though Wicked's a prequel)/reworking/whatever you want to call it of a classic fantasy work and that Andrew Lloyd Webber would realize that now is CERTAINLY not the time to make his own Wizard of Oz, but nooo.

Anyway, I haven't researched much about it myself, but a friend of mine saw it in and said it was horrible. She also said something about the main character's daughter having to try on a pair of red shoes when she gets to Wonderland, which sound suspiciously like Oz to me...

Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:53 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next