The Resource For Musicals

Other Current Broadway & West End Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Wildhorn's "Wonderland" to Premiere in Tampa, FL.. 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Bare, Next to Normal
Quote:
Indeed, it occurred to me that this is probably what Wildhorn is trying to do here: to create, in style rather than concept, the Wicked version of Wonderland.

That's EXACTLY what I thought when I heard of this! I mean, you'd think that with Wicked being so popular, Wildhorn would realize that now is not the time for another retelling/sequel (though Wicked's a prequel)/reworking/whatever you want to call it of a classic fantasy work and that Andrew Lloyd Webber would realize that now is CERTAINLY not the time to make his own Wizard of Oz, but nooo.

Anyway, I haven't researched much about it myself, but a friend of mine saw it in and said it was horrible. She also said something about the main character's daughter having to try on a pair of red shoes when she gets to Wonderland, which sound suspiciously like Oz to me...

Even if you look at the pictures that RainbowJude posted, they have Wicked similarities to them. The first one is similar to the classroom scene with Morrible, Elphaba and Doctor Dillamond. The last picture is very similar to the Emerald City scene in Wicked.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:01 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Bway2be wrote:
Quote:
Indeed, it occurred to me that this is probably what Wildhorn is trying to do here: to create, in style rather than concept, the Wicked version of Wonderland.

That's EXACTLY what I thought when I heard of this! I mean, you'd think that with Wicked being so popular, Wildhorn would realize that now is not the time for another retelling/sequel (though Wicked's a prequel)/reworking/whatever you want to call it of a classic fantasy work and that Andrew Lloyd Webber would realize that now is CERTAINLY not the time to make his own Wizard of Oz, but nooo.

Anyway, I haven't researched much about it myself, but a friend of mine saw it in and said it was horrible. She also said something about the main character's daughter having to try on a pair of red shoes when she gets to Wonderland, which sound suspiciously like Oz to me...

Even if you look at the pictures that RainbowJude posted, they have Wicked similarities to them. The first one is similar to the classroom scene with Morrible, Elphaba and Doctor Dillamond. The last picture is very similar to the Emerald City scene in Wicked.

What to know why else it looks so much like Wicked? Because it was costume designed by Susan Hilferty. The same person who costumed Wicked. If you look at other shows she has costumed you kind of see similaraties. She costume designed Spring Awakening as well. And I definitely noticed a few of those costumes looked a bit like the ones from Wicked. so the fact Susan Hilferty did both shows doesn't help.

-The Elephant Man - Ross, Bishop Walsham How & Snork a Porter
-Student Slam! 2008
-Working - Rex Winship (Boss of Company) (2007)
-Sure Thing - Billy (2007)

Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:08 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Wildhorn's WONDERLAND: Revisions for Broadway
Just saw an article about Wonderland and some of the changes that have been made for Broadway. One seems like a no-brainer and it is easy to wonder why it was a problem in the first place: 'it became very clear that the story had to be totally about Alice'. Well, duh...

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:41 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Falsettos (forever), Avenue Q, The Scottsboro Boys
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Wildhorn's "Wonderland" to Premiere in Tampa, FL..
I'm seeing it. Tampa. It may suck.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:08 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Please,Hello wrote:
I'm seeing it. Tampa. It may suck.

I'd love to hear what you think about it.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:30 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Falsettos (forever), Avenue Q, The Scottsboro Boys
Post Re: Wildhorn's "Wonderland" to Premiere in Tampa, FL..W
Alright, living in Florida has little advantage. And I have to travel hours jut to get to the arts center,but to see a show before it hits broadway is like heaven. Wonderland has improved from it's first tryout tremendously, as now it focuses
ore on Alice. Will it be successful on broadway? Yes, but I dont expect it to run too long as it has many faults in itself. The music isnt treated theatically but rather songs could be extracted from the show and still be sung (most of the time). The performances of the actors are commuted, but none standout abovethw rest,except maybe Alices. Wonderland won't break the boundries of musical theatre, nor Will it be the greatest musical of te season artistically ( the scottsboro boys), but it's damn entertaining.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:00 pm

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Wildhorn's WONDERLAND on Broadway
Has anybody here managed to see this since previews started on the 21st of March? Browsing around the Internet, this show has some of the worst word of mouth I have seen for a show, with many people saying that the show is not only bad, but boring too. Apparently the changes since the Florida run have not been for the better and, while some hold out some hope for the show to be plussed by the time opening night rolls around next weekend, many reports I've read seem to think that the show is bland, derivative, generally poorly performed (except for Kate Shindle, who plays the Mad Hatter) and unsalvagable.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:21 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The Word of Mouth segment on the Wonderland page of Broadway.com gave it a horrible review.
http://www.broadway.com/shows/wonderland/videos/

Overall, I see Wonderland as a "Wicked wannabe" from this video. I feel like this show tries too hard and just falls down on its face.

I find Janet Dacal's voice is too nasal for the role of Alice. It comes off whinny and that's not something you would want for this show.

I enjoy the Queen of Heart's dresses that she has on during the show. They both have the same layout but the patterns are different. I feel like it adds something positive to the show and the character. Definitely a well thought out piece.

I'd love to hear someone's review of the show after they've seen it. :D

Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:20 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Wicked, Addams Family, Cats, Phantom, Les Mis
According to Broadway.com, Wonderland will be closing May 15th. The show will have played 33 performances.
To be honest, I was pretty bummed about the news.

Narwhal, Whale Sharks, and Zebras OH MY

Tue May 10, 2011 6:43 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Wow. That's worse than Dance of the Vampires. I wonder what the dollar loss amounts too.

Tue May 10, 2011 11:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4