Shrek the Musical 

Shrek the Musical?
Like 68%  68%  [ 63 ]
No Like 32%  32%  [ 30 ]
Total votes : 93

Shrek the Musical 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

hi everyone! i don't really post at all but i lurk a lot on this site but i wanted to post on this topic because i just got home from seeing the very first preview of shrek! at first i was sort of cautious about it. i walked into the theatre thinking 'okay it's either gonna suck or be really good!' and i was actually pleasantly surprised!

mind you, this was the first preview and things definitely weren't broadway-ready yet. i wanted to give a little review with out spoiling much, just to let people know how it looks so far. there may be some spoilers ahead so don't read it if you don't want to be spoiled.

general: it was sooo long tonight! 3 hours long! starting at 8 and ending at 11. now i'm the girl who never wants a show to end, but i know that a theatre full of tired children isn't the best thing in the world. the audience was fairly good and not a lot of kids were crying, talking a lot [except for the little boy next to my dad who talked to the characters on stage for all of act one] or anything. it was just long and dragged a bit in parts. act one had less songs than act two but three of my favorite songs were in it. the opening was hilarious, as was farquaad's first number [the best in the show, in my opinion]. act two seemed to flow better but it felt like they tried to jam in a lot of singing. it was almost like they thought 'sutton isn't singing enough!' and they just scribbled down another song.

costumes: for shrek, farquaad, pinnochio and fiona - amazing! they looked like they had stepped out of the movie! farquaad was a little awkward at first [the actor was on his knees with puppet legs attatched to his thighs] but once they started playing with it [the actor standing up as farquaad was 'picked up' during a musical number] it was really funny. pinnochio's costume looked amazing from where we sat and the nose effect is really cool! unfortunately, donkey, the dragon and many fairy-tale characters got the short end of the stick. donkey's costume looked cheap and didn't fit in with the wonderful costumes mentioned above. i hope they're still working on it. the dragon was my least favorite thing in the entire show. if you want to know about it, just ask. the only fairy-tale character who had an exceptional costume was the ugly duckling from behind when she crouched. it looked like an ugly duck. :]

set: the set is really cool! it was beautiful and fun and looked like so much fun to be on. my sister and i kept saying 'we want to ride on it!' there were levels rising, turn tables, moving tracks, and more. something that was really cool about it was how diverse they were able to make each scene while using the same pieces. each scene was completely different and you felt like they were really on a journey.

songs: the songs in 08-14's performance were pretty good. like i said before, the opening and farquaad's first number were my favorite along with fiona's first song. some of the songs didn't seem to fit in style and a lot of them seemed like time fillers. i hope they rework some of the music for the dragon, donkey [please change all his songs!] and the fairytale characters and cut out one of fiona's songs.

other stuff: there are a lot of references to other musicals which was very fun!! the most obvious was wicked but there was also a chorus line [sorta] , dreamgirls [two of 'em!], lion king and i was reminded of beauty and the beast at one point but i don't know if that was just me or not. there are also a lot of fart and burp jokes [of course. it's shrek.] but there is also some very witty humor that older audiences will be able to catch.

if anyone has any questions or wants a song list from the performance just ask

Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:57 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Very tightly, very soon.
So wave one bachelor goodbye,
She'll be your bride- she'd rather die
Than have her daddy ossify
In my sordid saloon..."

Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:02 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

mmkay here's the song list from last night. it wasn't in the program and i didn't type this up, someone from broadwayworld.com did i just added the characters who sang in each song.

Act 1

Big Bright Beautiful World - papa & momma ogre, ensemble, shrek, young shrek [i think. i cant remember]
I Could Get Used To This - donkey
The Line-Up - fairytale characters
The Line-Up Reprise #1
The Goodbye Song- fairytale characters
I Know It's Today - young fiona, teen fiona, & fiona [sutton's best song! <3]
Things Are Looking Up in Duloc - ensemble, farquaad [best song from last night!!!]
Travel Song - donkey and shrek
Donkey Pot Pie - dragon
This Is How Dreams Come True - fiona
The Line-Up Reprise #2
Who I'd Be - shrek [very pretty song but it could use some work]

Act 2
Morning Person - fiona [features tapping]
I Think I Got You Beat - shrek and fiona
The Ballad of Farquaad - faquaad
Let Her In - donkey, 3 blind mice, dragon
Gonna Build a Wall - shrek
Freak Flag - fairytale characters
More to the Story - fiona
Wedding Procession
The Wedding
Finale - everyone!!

Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:18 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I'm new here, but wanted to throw in my two cents as I saw the show last night (the second showing, and apparently they already cut some time off of the show from the night before).

I felt like the show was good, and definitely had potential, though I have a hard time seeing it grow up into anything like Wicked or Phantom of the Opera or any of the other amazingly successful shows. The creators were definintely going for the visual appeal with creative sets and costumes that worked sometimes and sometimes didn't. Kudos go to the costume designers for managing an ogre costume for Fiona that she could actually toss on at the drop of a hat. Farquaad's costume, with fake legs that only go down to his knees so that he walks around on his knees, was perfect, and the actor made the most of it.

I think there was one great song from last night's performance, "I Know It's Today," sung by Fiona (played by three different actresses, as grown-up Fiona, 10 year old Fiona, and 7 year old Fiona), which was, in my opinion, just about perfectly done to show her slowly going bonkers over her years of imprisonment in the tower. I felt like all of the other songs could use some tuning up, and some could just be discarded, particularly all of the fairytale creature songs and the songs by Donkey.

The audience definitely loved it, and it'll be interesting to see where things go. I'll probably try to see it again on Broadway, just to see how it's changed!

Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:48 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Things Are Looking Up in Duloc - ensemble, farquaad [best song from last night!!!]

DO SHREK AND DONKEY WATCH THE PUPPET THING AND MAKE THOSE FACES AT THE END????????????

That always gets me =))

Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:55 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

DO SHREK AND DONKEY WATCH THE PUPPET THING AND MAKE THOSE FACES AT THE END????????????

Not really--they turn the song into a presentation by Farquaad to all of the citizens of Duloc; although Donkey and Shrek watch it at the beginning, they are off stage for most of it. It's a great song, though, and lots of fun, particularly with Farquaad strutting around on his knees.

Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:11 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I saw the show last night (8/27) and I thought I would put in my own two cents.

Overall:

I walked out of the first act absolutely loving the show, and really surprised by that fact. When I first heard Shrek was going to be musicalized, I really just thought it was a bad idea. And even though I live fairly close to Seattle, I was originally planning to skip it. At the last minute I bought a ticket, largely just because I was going to be in Seattle with nothing to to, and I love Sutton Foster. So, as I said, the first act pleasantly surprised me.

The second act, for the most part, seemed a step below. The parts I did like seemed kind of unnecessary to the plot (Morning Person, Ballad of Farquad), and parts that needed to be fleshed out more for the show to work emotionally were not.

I liked a lot of the music, but there was also some music I really didn't like (Freak Flag, The Finale). And even the music I did like seems to be fairly unmemorable. The only song I'm still humming is Big, Bright Beautiful world (although some of my favorites were I Know It's Today and Things Are Looking Up in Duloc).

The Cast:

Brian D'Arcy James: I think BDJ is a very talented performer. And I think he played Shrek very well. I don't think that his talent was wasted in this role, as I'm sure it is very difficult to play. It may just be the way the show is set up, where Shrek is almost the straight man, which is different than the movie. But for whatever reason I didn't walk away thinking about Brian D'Arcy James:

Sutton Foster: Alright, I'll admit it. I'm probably biased because I really love Sutton Foster. I thought she did a very good job. I think where my bias may come in is that they probably gave Fiona a song or so too many. I was happy to see Sutton sing too many times. But with a different actress, it might have been grating.

Chester Gregory: I thought that he gave a very good performance. However he didn't really seem to be playing the same Donkey as in the movie. This may be because I define Donkey so much as just BEING Eddie Murphy. I always saw the character as just an excuse for Murphy to riff. That being said I quite enjoyed Chester's performance. I didn't really think it was a problem, just an observation. Actually one of my bigger complaints about Donkey was not with the actor, but the costume. When you so brilliantly recreate Shrek, Fiona, Farquadd and others to look just like they do in the movie, why put him in a cheap donkey suit that looks like somebody's pajamas. It just felt out of place.

Christopher Sieber: Easily my favorite performance of the night. He was absolutely hilarious. I was very familiar with Sieber's voice from listening to Spamalot countless times, and it was a real treat to see him live. And seeing him walk with those legs really just never got old.

Kecia Lewis-Evans: I felt her part was just not really needed. They at least didn't need someone actually on stage. It would have worked better with just the puppet, Audrey II style, and maybe a different song. I liked her voice a lot, but I was just not a fan of the scene in general.

John Tartaglia: He was underused, but Pinnochio wasn't. I actually applaud them for not trying to make his character bigger just to accomodate a star. I would have loved to see him do more, because I'm a fan of his from Avenue Q. However I think highly of him for agreeing to take a minor supporting role. Not every established broadway actor would do that. I thought he did very well, and I appreciated the Irony that he was playing a puppet, given his past.

Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:59 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Saw the show 8/30. Was overall a very fun experience, despite having some trepidations about seeing a musical about "Shrek". As was stated before, the sets were AMAZING and the performances of all of the cast members -- except one -- were teriffic. Christopher Sieber (Lord Farquaad) is a standout and deserves at least a Tony nomination...he steals every scene he's in. On the other hand, Chester Gregory as Donkey is an utter disappointment. His costume is lame, and he has none of the frenetic crazed energy coupled with comedic timing that is needed to pull off the role. His role could be akin to Christopher Fitzgerald's performance as "Igor" in YF, but definitely wasn't.

Muscially, there were some "hummable" numbers, but there were too many that went nowhere and didn't move the plot along. and there were three (yes 3!) "buddy" songs b/t Shrek and Donkey....enough already!! The show lacked emotional highs and lows, especially as it pertains to the building relationship between Fiona and Shrek. You just didn't care about what happens to them.

The dragon would've been better off as an "Audrey II" as stated before.

One of the highlights for those who see a lot of Broadway shows (myself included) are the clever, and often blatant references to other musicals throughout the show. Because not everyone gets the references, you have groups of people laughing while the people next to them are left wondering what was so funny.

Hope they can work out the bugs, as it has the core of being a great show.

Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:41 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117938 ... id=33&cs=1

A proper review...

Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:40 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

That variety review sums up how I feel pretty well.

Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:09 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Animal Collective.
Main Role: Fan
Quick question for those who have seen the show:

From what I've heard, when Lord Farquadd arrives on his "horse" to take Fiona, he uses a different name for the horse each show ("Woah, [insert name here]."). So, out of curiousity, what name did he use when you saw the show?

Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

What a shame Jeanine Tesori is wasting her talents on this.

Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next