The Resource For Musicals

Other Current Broadway & West End Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Has Anyone Seen The Little Mermaid on Broadway? 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:46 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

http://broadwayworld.com/mermaidvote.cfm?id=202&vote=on

please vote for my friend!

Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:09 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

yes, I have. :)

They need to do a bit more than just re-write the Act 2!

For example, Ursula (brilliantly played by Sherie Rene Scott) is now King Triton's sister! Why has this change been made? This change doesn't add anything to the characters or the plot. An unnecessary change.

The seagull (was the name Scuttle? anyway, the bird) is now completely useless and unnecessary character. In the movie, his main function was discovering that Vanessa was Ursula in disguise and he alerts everyone and gets all the animals to help to stop her plans. Now, Ursula doesn't become Vanessa and that leaves no meaning in having Scuttle in the show. He sings two (awful!!) songs that could just as well be cut - they're not needed, now they are just there to add some running time to the show!

The actor playing the Prince Erik (Sean Palmer) is too old for this part. His character is about to celebrate his 21st birthday and the actor looks like he's 42. And I wasn't even sitting in the first row... He sings extremely well, though.

Act 2 scene "One Step Closer" should be cut. It is slowing things down and, sorry to say, is way too long and boring.

The "heelie shoes", or whatever they're called, doesn't really make it look like they're swimming. Ok, I understand that using the wires would be so much more limiting and they'd have to connect and disconnect the actors to the wires all the time.

Sebastian is played awfully! Tituss Burgess is a great singer - he hits a couple of incredibly high notes - but his acting makes Sebastian more than anything annoying and irritating and most of the time you just wish he'd leave the stage. Which is sad 'cause in the movie he was such a sweet and lovely character...

Norm Lewis and Sherie Rene Scott are both so under-used!!! Scott's scenes are the best thing in this show!! They're amazing!

But the show is not all bad - not by a long shot! Visually it is very good, though not the "oh-my-god-WOW!!!!" good. Some of the new songs are great - especially Ursula's new solo number "I Want The Good Times Back" which is one of the catchiest songs in a very long time!! And the characters Flotsom & Jetsom are great and very well written - though their costumes make them look more like lizards (iguanas) than fish. They're not stealing the show but they totally stand out. And their song "Sweet Child" is very seductive and hypnotic.

All in all, the show has its flaws but even with them it is a show worth seeing.

Last edited by santtu on Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:45 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

But I had better uses for $110.

I bought student rush tickets for Spring Awakening at $26 instead, and I didn't even wake up early for them!! Oh the money I saved :)

Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:58 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

i think the mermaid costume makes her look like shes half dragon... actually i think all of the costumes need a little work

Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:11 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

and I'm looking forward the musical
I think ERIC (in the picture below) is a little old

Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:29 am
Profile ICQ
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I saw it and I loved it. The only problem I had was Flounders costume. All it was was a oversized shirt and a pair of shorts.

Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:04 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I saw it. First, I want to say that was the most poorly behaved audience I was ever a member of. It was embarrassing. It wasn't just the kids--that's understandable. The adults talked through the overture! Gah!

The show was fun. I agree that Flouder's costume was awful. His wig was pretty neat though. I thought the wheely shoes were a good idea, but they didn't work out perfectly. Another note about the costumes--I had trouble suspending my disbelief with the mermaid costumes. They just looked a bit weird. Also, the actors wacked each other with their tails and got stuck in scenery a few times. I also wish the mermaid sisters didn't wear those awful flesh colored shirts. They just don't look real.

Norm Lewis was fabulous, as was Sherie Rene Scott. I also wish they were in it more, but I really enjoyed the actress playing Ariel's performance.

I actually liked how Sebastian was played, but it's entirely possible that I was so blown away by his voice that I didn't even pay attention to his acting. His voice was AMAZING. Just amazing. I can't even describe it. I would buy the cast recording just for him.

I LOVED "Sweet Child." That was such a fun number.

In general, I had a really good time, though there is a bit to be worked out. I also wish the audience would get some manners. You can forgive kids for talking, but not adults. They should know better.

Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:33 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I saw it and LOVED it... I saw it when it was still in previews. I thought it was gorgeous and the actors were all great. I actually liked it better than The Lion King.

Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:37 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'll be seeing it in March. I'm so glad you guys liked it; I was pretty worried that it would be horrible, but this was my only show choice.

Wow that's a long sentence. I feel like I'm reverting to 5th grader writing.

The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But, vice versa - the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant. --The Doctor

Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:33 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

yeah they did use heelies, but not like the ones little kids use lol. i think they really add to the effect that they are in water.

Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:00 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Wicked, Addams Family, Cats, Phantom, Les Mis
Main Role: Performer
The show(i am sad to say) will be closing on August 30th. But there will be a US tour in 2010!!!!

Narwhal, Whale Sharks, and Zebras OH MY

Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next