The Resource For Musicals

Other Current Broadway & West End Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Spring Awakening 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Regarding the changes with the Masked Man and such...

In the NYTF workshop in 2001, before the show reached its finalized version, the Masked Man, played by Mark McGrath, was a rather ubiquitous narrator figure, appearing constantly onstage. Acting as a narrator, and somewhat implied to be the ghost of Moritz, he actually sang in almost all the songs- including Mama Who Bore Me, strange as that sounds.

However, he didn't work in the musical, so the ending was reconfigured and his part was cut.

Very tightly, very soon.
So wave one bachelor goodbye,
She'll be your bride- she'd rather die
Than have her daddy ossify
In my sordid saloon..."

Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:22 am
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

This show is coming to Toronto soon and I hope I can get tickets, so I can confirm for myself that the show is just as fantastic as it's soundtrack!!

Past: Grease (Rizzo), WSS (Maria), A Chorus Line (Diana) Les Mis (Mme. Thenardier)
Present: Fame (Carmen)

I overuse emoticons. :P

Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:36 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: writing songs
Main Role: Performer
This show is coming to Toronto soon and I hope I can get tickets, so I can confirm for myself that the show is just as fantastic as it's soundtrack!!

...cast recording. cast recording, not soundtrack.[i]

Also keep in mind you're going to be seeing a different cast in case you're expecting to see Lea Michelle and all the rest. But the touring cast is awesome, so no worries there.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:51 am
Profile YIM
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Sorry, my mistake. But yes, cast recording.
And I was commenting on more the actual songs, not the performers. I'm sure I can trust whoever was cast to tour the continent to be quite good.

Past: Grease (Rizzo), WSS (Maria), A Chorus Line (Diana) Les Mis (Mme. Thenardier)
Present: Fame (Carmen)

I overuse emoticons. :P

Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:28 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It's okay, I've made that mistake before too. : )
It just gets irksome to me when I see Spring Awakening referred to as "soundtrack"--too many people in their youtube audition videos saying, "listened to the soundtrack..."

But yes, the touring cast is awesome! My favorites are Blake Bashoff and Steffi D. I also like Sarah Hunt who plays Martha--she does a good job with Dark I Know Well.

If you don't get Blake than it's either an understudy, or if he's left the tour by then that means you'll get Gerard--who is also really good. He rocks! ^^
But you'll probably end up liking it if you like the songs no matter who you see. :)

Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:14 am
Profile YIM
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I saw the tour in January and I was pretty unsure if I was going to like it or not. I'd listened to some of the recording but had pretty much dismissed the show as "that angsty teenage rock musical that has some good songs". I left the theatre stunned and with a new obsession. It was pretty much amazing.

BUUUUUUUUUUUT text wise, the show is a tad dull. It just... hmm. Kind of stiff dialogue at times.

Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:46 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I do agree that I think the book has a few problems in the eyes of many. The only part I had a real problem with was this:

When Melchior says, "Not supposed to what?!? Love? I don't know, is there such a thing?"

If they took that line out that would make me actually believe that he cared about Wendla a bit more. But then again, Melchior doesn't believe in anything so that's tricky.

Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:56 pm
Profile YIM
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I do agree that I think the book has a few problems in the eyes of many. The only part I had a real problem with was this:

When Melchior says, "Not supposed to what?!? Love? I don't know, is there such a thing?"

If they took that line out that would make me actually believe that he cared about Wendla a bit more. But then again, Melchior doesn't believe in anything so that's tricky.

That was the only part of the musical I really liked, to be honest. It's so true, they're two 14-year-olds overcome by sexual urges. I always took it as a "Is there such a thing as love, or is it all lust?"

But each to their own.

Upcoming:
none

Past:
Twin #2 in Peter Pan, Milkmaid/Chorus in Oliver, Belinda in A Christmas Carol

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:20 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:20 pm
Profile YIM
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I love Spring awakening. I saw the tour twice, and will see it two more times when it comes back here in November. It's an amazing, amazing show, and was probably the first show I could really relate to. I must've cried, like, 6 times. :P

But yeah, the music's amazing, the story's great, and the performers are superb. My favorites in the tour cast were Christy Altomare as Wendla, Blake Bashoff as Moritz, and Sarah Hunt as Martha. But they were all fantastic! Can't wait to see it again!

-Equus (July 1st)
-The Rocky Horror Show (August 15-16th)

beads. flowers. freedom. happiness. <3 <3 <3

Mon May 25, 2009 8:31 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

The cast recording just cannot compare to seeing the show live.

I agree. Yet I still fell in love with it based solely off the Cast Recording (and the Tony performance).

Gwen wrote:
If nobody minds me asking, what do you think the stronger points of Spring Awakening are?

I like the lyrics, despite what some say. I like how poetic they are, how open to interpretation they are. The music is great as well. But I wholeheartedly agree that the lighting and set design may be the coolest thing about the show, and obviously you can't get that with the OBCR or on YouTube. I was completely blown away by it when I saw it in February in St. Louis. Blake is a better Moritz than Jon Gallagher Jr, IMO. There's a lot of stiffness in Gallagher's portrayal.

There sure are a lot of changed lyrics from the recording. I was surprised how different. Going off just one performance, I'd say I prefer the old lyrics, particularly in Song of Purple Summer.

Sun May 31, 2009 5:39 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Gwen wrote:

That was the only part of the musical I really liked, to be honest. It's so true, they're two 14-year-olds overcome by sexual urges. I always took it as a "Is there such a thing as love, or is it all lust?"

But each to their own.

Apologies for reviving the post again, but I just read one of the translations of the original script and the line is "There is no such thing as love! Everything is selfishness, everything is egotism! I love you as little as you love me."

It makes more sense to me.

Upcoming:
none

Past:
Twin #2 in Peter Pan, Milkmaid/Chorus in Oliver, Belinda in A Christmas Carol

Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next