The Resource For Musicals

Other Current Broadway & West End Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
My Amazing night at the spelling bee! 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post My Amazing night at the spelling bee!
Last night one of my friends came into the city. He was going to see a show by himself. When I heard that I said, ok fine I'll meet you for a show after work. So we met at TKTS. He had never seen Rent or Q and really wanted to see one of those. I had seen both however and did not feel like repeating a show. So I suggested Spring Awakening or Spelling Bee. I've been listening to the Bee a lot lately. The seats they had at the Booth were better for the Bee so we went. We got there fairly early. Early enough to put ourselves in the running to be up on stage in the Bee. So I was all bubbly and personable and sorta talked my friend up, oh he's the better speller. I dragged him, etc. He's an actuary but his passion is theatre. We didn't tell them anything about him being an actor on the side. So he got picked to go up and be part of the bee on 1/5/07. That's pretty darn cool in its self. What I didn't know about my friend is what an amazing speller he was. So they were at the point of the show where the last non-cast person is supposed to be eliminated. The first word they gave him he spelled correct. So they were a bit impressed, you could see it in their faces a bit. Then they gave him this ridiculously long word that no one in their right mind should be able to spell. He got it correct! I was cheering like a mad woman! The look on Miss Paretti's face when he spelled the word correct was priceless. They almost all broke character. It was incredible. He got the next word wrong, so then they sang to him. As they sent him back to his seat the entire group of kids followed him. I don't know if that was protocol or not. But they sang to him at our seats. Barret Foa actually sat in my lap as he sang. That was probably one of my best Broadway experiences hands down! So I definitely had to share!!!

Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:15 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I love him... haha.

That's great.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:48 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: punctuation
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: My Amazing night at the spelling bee!
emmy05 wrote:
Then they gave him this ridiculously long word that no one in their right mind should be able to spell. He got it correct! I was cheering like a mad woman! The look on Miss Paretti's face when he spelled the word correct was priceless. They almost all broke character. It was incredible. He got the next word wrong, so then they sang to him.

I'm going to burst your bubble and tell you that they do that at every show, unless they're running late (in which case they just ding the person out).

And yes, that is protocol -- regardless of how the last speller does, they sing them back to their seat.

The Very Angry Man has retired from musicals.net.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

No bubble burst, it was just cool to have the cast follow him back anyway! Thats what I wasnt sure if they did or not. I'm familiar with the cast recording so i knew the song they sang to him. I was just excited that he spelled so well. My guess is that isn't prtocol to have someone get the really impossible word right based on the reactions of the cast! So fun!

Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:19 pm

Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:09 am

My guess is that isn't prtocol to have someone get the really impossible word right based on the reactions of the cast! So fun!

No, that happens 90% of the time.

Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:46 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

None the less, they were all wicked nice to him after the show and told him how impressed they were with his spelling! Still pretty awesome in my book!!

Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:36 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

No bubble burst, it was just cool to have the cast follow him back anyway! Thats what I wasnt sure if they did or not. I'm familiar with the cast recording so i knew the song they sang to him. I was just excited that he spelled so well. My guess is that isn't prtocol to have someone get the really impossible word right based on the reactions of the cast! So fun!

I can backup TVAW in that the singing of the last audience speller all the way back to his or her seat is the norm. There apparently is one word "catterjunes" (that isn't even a real word) that no matter how you spell it, they'll say you are correct. The cast then does a slight break in character showing stunned amazement. I've seen the show twice with the audience contestant spelling "catterjunes" differently each time and yet being told the spelling was correct. Even with the unpredictability of adding a few audience members, it's still more scripted than you might suspect. Since your friend could spell them, can he recall what the words were? He might have nailed a legitimate "elimination" word.

Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:33 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

That caterjunes word is really interesting, however my friend's word was xerophthalmiology. Not quite most common word... and yet he spelled it correctly.

Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:36 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

That caterjunes word is really interesting, however my friend's word was xerophthalmiology. Not quite most common word... and yet he spelled it correctly.

Yes, that is one of the "elimination" words. You probably noticed that all the words up to that point were easy. What followed xerophthalmiology?

Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:49 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Pounce, you know a lot about the elimination words thats really cool. You know what would be neat would be to do a study on which words are used every night and how often they get repeated and what percentage of people spell which words right. Okay I'm a dork. I don't remember what his third word was. Something that started with an f i think. They dinged him out after he said the first two letters. BUt neither of us knew the typical words used so it was a surprise for us and a fun night. It's great to be knowledgeable like TVAW was in this case and you too, but sometimes it's nice to be a novice at some shows and be able to enjoy it for the experience you want it to be. Have a great night.

Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:40 pm

It's great to be knowledgeable like TVAW was in this case and you too, but sometimes it's nice to be a novice at some shows and be able to enjoy it for the experience you want it to be. Have a great night.

I completely agree. When I first saw Spelling Bee I'd listened to the cast recording once, maybe 6 months before, and when I realized I'd be seeing it, I avoided all talk about it and didn't listen to it again. It really helped.

Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next