The Resource For Musicals

Other Current Broadway & West End Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Billy Elliot The Musical 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Billy Elliot The Musical
Does anyone know anything about this? Any good songs?

Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:17 pm
Profile WWW

The show is overly long. Some of the songs seem to have extended dance-breaks in them and consume way too much time.

Some characters don't need songs/back story to them and whilst their songs are good, they didn't need a song to move along the main story point. (I'm thinking mainly of Grandma's song here.)

It went on that long that I believed that they were going straight through without an intermission because the first act is about 2 hours long.

It's not a bad show, I *did* enjoy it but it needs some trimming. There's absolutely no need for a reprise of *every single* number from the show at the end. A 20 minute ending is far more than I can stand. My hands were sore from the obligatory clapping.

Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:58 pm

BTW, it's worth a search on www.youtube.com for Billy Elliot.

Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:02 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Does anyone know where I can get the sheet music or a karaoke track for "Electricity"

Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:15 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

billy elliot was very enjoyable. i saw it almost a year ago on my dream trip to the west end and it was the first show i saw there. i agree with Gayboy on a few points, electricity the standout and really the only song i was humming for days. grandmas song couldnt end soon enough. merry christmas maggie thatcher was hooverville-esque and on the whole it really was a visual dance spectacle. highlight of the show was the ballet between young and old billy- absolutely breathtaking!

unfortunately i cant help you with finding the music you're after! are you plannign to use electricity as an audition song?

ALL THE WORLDS A STAGE

http://www.myspace.com/allangiezjazz thanks to pookie 4 avatar!

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:19 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Does anyone know where I can get the sheet music or a karaoke track for "Electricity"

Me too!!

Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:05 pm

http://www.dresscircle.co.uk/product.asp?StockID=31353

Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:09 pm
Ahh, "Electricity"!!! lol sorry.... You know, it's not impossible to get sheet music -- my high school principal went and saw the show, became obsessed with it, somehow got sheet music (I think by doing a lot of letter writing), made it the finale to our show.... And an important choir number that was sung for everything important. Most of us short circuted, to tell the truth, lol.

Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:31 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Billy Elliot the Musical will soon occupy Broadway's Imperial Theatre.

Last edited by jpman on Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I wouldn't use Electricity as an audition song...I've had to sit in on a few auditions when its been done and unless its fantastic, it doesn't go down well...should be pretty easy to get hold of the sheet music tho!
(please ignore my negativity tho, you may be great at it!)
Its the only song I've really heard from BE - personally I loved the film, the music that they used for the soundtrack (The Jam etc) was perfect, far more fitting I think. I wish it hadn't been made into a musical really. My friend summed up the music for me: "Sounds like Elton John's GCSE project" :P

*sorry to any BE fans - I'm willing to be converted!*

Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:18 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I agree. It's very difficult to do any justice to "Electricity", so I'm amazed the boys who sing it can do it ever so often.

I don't think it's fair to compare the music in the film to the music in the show, even though it's easy. They are two completely different things, and, let's face it, if you are going to make a musical, how fun is The Jam?

Then you might discuss if it should have been made into a musical at all (opinions will vary), but the fact is it was, lots of people love it, and it's successful - at least in London, let's see how it does in Australia, where they have started casting now.

Last edited by jpman on Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I'm definately in the camp that thinks it should've been let be. Although I wasn't born yet, my family had first hand experience of the strikes around that time and I know its still with some of them. I thought the film was a good interpretation and told the miner's story sympathetically. I don't find offence in a musical being made of this story, but the story in the film was so much more about the family struggle and how Villy found a release than anything I can imagine being put in a musical. But as I said, I haven't actually seen the musical, so I can't really comment. I think I'd be able to see the musical if I hadn't seen the film - I'd need to seperate the two. I hope that makes sense! :)

Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next