The Resource For Musicals

Other Current Broadway & West End Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
The chance to express veiws on disliking a show. 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: The chance to express veiws on disliking a show.
Quote:
The first example isn't really a bad lyric; it's not perfect, but it does carry some weight in context.

I listened/read the lyrics within context (I read through the script with the cast album on in the background) and I don't understand what kind of "weight" you mean. It's generic - meaning it doesn't really convey anything but simplistic emoting.

And I agree about Alice Ripley. She is PHENOMENAL as Diana (not that I disliked her in other things). But I was talking about the show itself, not the actors.

Last edited by Mama Rose on Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:50 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Musicals I dislike:
South Pacific (I'm not denying that it it's a well-done show, it's just not for me)
Jesus Christ Superstar
Once on this Island

Probably a few more that I can't think of

Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:47 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Show's I'm not a fan of:

Music Man
POTO
Cats
Miss Saigon
Sound of Music
South Pacific

Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:46 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I think this thread would have been more interesting (or interesting at all) if you explained why you dislike these shows.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:36 am

Sounds like a plan

Show's I'm not a fan of:

Music Man-For starters, it's just an incredbily sachrine show with very little substance. All the characters appear to be very one dimensional and with the plot being as paper thin as it is any character development is predictable and vanilla. Th score of the show is rather vanilla as well. Save for a few clever numbers (the train sequence and 76 Trombones) every other song is less than memorable quite honestly are very grating.

POTO-This show may be the Webster definition of 'style over substance'. The show is eye candy and very little else. The score is very repetitive and I felt that after the first 45 minutes to an hour Webber simply started recycling musical themes and everything began sounding alike. And while I normally enjoy melodrama, this show really was melodrama at its worst. I found the characters to be hokey and if not for all the lavish sets and effects it they all would've fell on their faces in terms of being entertaining.

Cats-This show is a vegas act that got passed off a Broadway show for DECADES! No plot, no character development, only a few memorable songs peppered into a score that just floats around in your head then vanishes...just a lame duck show that somehow fooled the world into thinking it was brilliant theatre...it's not.

Miss Saigon-It's been years since I saw this show but I just remember thinking it had to be the silliest script I'd ever heard performed. And the dialogue in the final moments of the show is so horrible I literally started laughing at it. The show begins strong but just quickly unravels until by the end I just didn't care anymore.

Sound of Music-This is just a personal thing...I find this show dull. I know it's a classic...just can't stomach it.

South Pacific-If this show was more about the SeaBees, Bloody Mary and Cable I would love it so much more. But the main love story between Nellie and the Frenchman is no good. It just never feels real to me and the fact that the two never sing together has just never made sense.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:51 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Thanks. The thread did actually become more interesting.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:06 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Patch wrote:
But the main love story between Nellie and the Frenchman is no good. It just never feels real to me and the fact that the two never sing together has just never made sense.

It's because Ezio Pinza's operatic bass was so much more powerful than Mary Martin's theatre mezzo that he would have drowned her out.

Anyway...

Aida - I've never liked the story in the first place, not even in Verdi's opera, and the one production I've seen of the musical was awful. Aida had no stage presence, Radames was much more convincing as an asshole in the beginning than as a romantic hero later, their falling in love felt unconvincing (though that may be a fault of the script), and they had no chemistry. During the curtain call, in which the sarcophagus where they were entombed stood closed onstage until they finally came out of it for their bows (the "reincarnations meeting at a museum" concept was cut), I was literally thinking "Don't let them out!" :lol:

Wicked - I don't think it's that bad a show, I like listening to it sometimes and I enjoy reading the discussions on the forum here. But I can't stand it when fangirls think it's the greatest piece of theatre ever written, that other classic shows are "overrated" by comparison, and that Elphie and Glinda's on-and-off friendship is the most moving example of love ever to grace the musical stage.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:17 am

Vanessa20 wrote:
Patch wrote:
But the main love story between Nellie and the Frenchman is no good. It just never feels real to me and the fact that the two never sing together has just never made sense.

It's because Ezio Pinza's operatic bass was so much more powerful than Mary Martin's theatre mezzo that he would have drowned her out.

That's something of a flimsy excuse. I've also heard stories that Pinza and Martin really did not get along very well and didn't wish to actually sing together.

I'm not certain how valid a story that is...but either way I think it weakens the narrative.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:21 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Patch wrote:
Cats-...no character development,

Not true.

Take Demeter for example. It is clear from the start that something bothers her, and she is the one to always cry "Macavity!" at any suspicious noise, even if it isn't him. Clearly, she is paranoid about him. When Macavity does appear, it is Demeter who sings about him. While she starts to sing about how awful he is, she breaks off into a dance that shows very good memories of him, yet attempts to snap herself out of such thoughts ("It was fantastic when he made love to me, but I hated him"). When Macavity does return disguised, she is the only one to recognise him. He attempts to abduct her at that point, she moves to defend herself, but cannot bring herself to actually hurt him.

If you take the matinee spoken words that existed for a while (to help the kiddies who couldn't follow it) Macavity says "I'll be back for you!" to Demeter. Most of the spoken sections were awful.

Broadway was a lighter, brighter version of the show. All of the sex and violence toned down.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:50 pm

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
Patch wrote:
Sounds like a plan

Show's I'm not a fan of:

Music Man-For starters, it's just an incredbily sachrine show with very little substance. All the characters appear to be very one dimensional and with the plot being as paper thin as it is any character development is predictable and vanilla. Th score of the show is rather vanilla as well. Save for a few clever numbers (the train sequence and 76 Trombones) every other song is less than memorable quite honestly are very grating.

This makes me sad. But to each his own, I guess.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:42 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: CATS, Charm&Smiley.
Main Role: Fan
Mungojerrie_rt wrote:
Patch wrote:
Cats-...no character development,

Not true.

Take Demeter for example. It is clear from the start that something bothers her, and she is the one to always cry "Macavity!" at any suspicious noise, even if it isn't him. Clearly, she is paranoid about him. When Macavity does appear, it is Demeter who sings about him. While she starts to sing about how awful he is, she breaks off into a dance that shows very good memories of him, yet attempts to snap herself out of such thoughts ("It was fantastic when he made love to me, but I hated him"). When Macavity does return disguised, she is the only one to recognise him. He attempts to abduct her at that point, she moves to defend herself, but cannot bring herself to actually hurt him.

If you take the matinee spoken words that existed for a while (to help the kiddies who couldn't follow it) Macavity says "I'll be back for you!" to Demeter. Most of the spoken sections were awful.

Broadway was a lighter, brighter version of the show. All of the sex and violence toned down.

Not to mention all the other cats relation to Grizabella. They starting with totaly dislike and hissing away her at sight, theyre even acts to put theyre kittens into safety when she apears but, starting with the kittens, they grow more and more curious and acceptence towards her, and after she had sung Memory she is totaly welcomed into the tribe and choosen to be the one that goes to the heaviside lair, if that isnt caracter development I dont know what is. And then we have Growltiger...

Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:05 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal
Mama Rose wrote:
I find Next to Normal highly overrated. It completely blows my mind how this show won the Pullitzer Prize. I read through the libretto the other day while listening to the cast album. The script is appallingly bad; the lyrics are trite, banal and downright cringeworthy. The show's simplistic treatment of mental illness makes it impossible to take the writers seriously.

Don't get me wrong, I love what I've seen/heard of the performances. Alice Ripley is amazing. It's just that the material sucks.

What do you think they needed to capture (in terms of 'mental illness'), that they didn't?

Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next